Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Krivsky Strike Now?

Should Krivsky Strike Now?

This team needs another starter. Arroyo and Harang are going to be up there all year long. Claussen could be steady and Ramirez, Williams, Milton and Wilson could fill out the last two spots.

I know it's early but I would be in favor of Krivsky going after another Arroyo/Harang type pitcher (No. 2/No.3) right now before the big boys start shopping. That said, I know no team will probably trade away any starting pitching right now. No one's really out of it yet and probably won't consider trading for another month, but if Wayno could nab another starter before June, it would give this team an extra boost and show the front office is super serious about competing.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Should Krivsky Strike Now?

As I said in another thread, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The team is playing fine, and until otherwise, why make a change essentially for the sake of change? Why send that message that "you guys are going to cool off, so let's shake up the roster"?

I'd love to get another solid starter, but unless we're gonna give up say someone like Aurillia or Cody Ross or some of our guys in the minors with no shot to ever see the 25 man roster, then I wouldn't make the move. But even with those guys on that list, we wouldn't get a solid starter, so it's all a moot point.

I don't think it would send that message that the FO thinks the team will cool off. I'm sure that K & C will wait until July to make any big moves but I think if this team is to stay in it in the long run, another starter will have to be acquired.

I am not sure that ANY team (maybe the Pirates but I doubt it) consider themselves enough out-of-it to trade a starting pitcher.

I wouldn't mind Aaron Cook from the Rockies.....but again, I doubt the Rockies would part with him until they are 20 games back.

With this offense, I might consider an attempt to win now and I would trade Bailey and Duramait to get another seriously solid pitcher (Willis?).

I would also part with Kearns in a deal for a serious starter.

Quote Originally Posted by GriffeyFan
    Should Krivsky Strike Now?

If Big K was a player on this kind of hot streak... I'd think you were talking about "holding out for more money." :

Speaking of the Rockies.....this is where Ray King ended up.....I just realized.....man, this guy has REALLY never seen a Big Mac he didn't like......

Going for bullpen help would be nice, but who is selling?
    Go Gators!

If you want to get a good pitcher now, you have to give up more than you would at the deadline. Meaning that you would change the look of this team dramatically. Why mess with whats working now. I think what the Reds are doing right now is for real. If so, then they can hang in there until the deadline, and then give up a couple prospects for a pitcher. They don't need an ace, maybe a 2 or 3 man.

The Reds aren't in make or break mode right now. They are building for the future. This ownership is smart enough to know that there is no sense making a huge move to win this year just because you might make it into the playoffs. They are looking for a championship caliber team year in and year out. Not a one and done. That is why you wait until July to get a pitcher for a couple prospects. It would be nice to be on the other end of that instead of trading players to get prospects for a change.

Why you do it now? Because Arroyo is a streaky pitcher.....Harang is NOT going to go 32-2 for the year, and Claussen is inconsistent at best (either because he is still too young or just ain't that good).

And Eric Milton with a gimpy knee is only a couple of weeks away. Remember that the knee was the excuse for last year.....so he had surgery...he had surgery before and the knee not being fully recovered was the excuse.

BEFORE the Reds are 5 games below .500, WK needs to make a WIN now move....NOW.

I still believe a GOOD GM could rangle Willis and Cabrerra away from the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    Why you do it now? Because Arroyo is a streaky pitcher.....Harang is NOT going to go 32-2 for the year, and Claussen is inconsistent at best (either because he is still too young or just ain't that good).

And Eric Milton with a gimpy knee is only a couple of weeks away. Remember that the knee was the excuse for last year.....so he had surgery...he had surgery before and the knee not being fully recovered was the excuse.

Gee I thought the Reds were 11 games over .500, have the best record in baseball and by the way stand in first place after taking a two game series with the Cardinals, who won what???? 100 games last year.

No need to panic and sell the farm. We are doing just fine. We should all stand around and be happy where we are, hold hands and sing KUM BY YA!!!!
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

If the Reds want to make the playoffs I think they need to make the following moves. 1. Trade Kearns and LaRue for pitching. 2. Move Griffey to LF, Dunn to 1B, Denorfia to CF, and Freel to RF. They might be pitching well now, but I dont think these guys will hold up for an entire season. That being said the defense needs to be the absolute best that it can be. Also you can not get on people for doubting this hot start, its something we have seen before, remember in 2002 this team won 16 in April and we know how that went so of course people will have their doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la

Ok then, your the GM, what do you give up right now to get pitching. Keep in mind that a couple of prospects isn't going to get you what you need, and Griffey has the option to turn down any trade. Dunn is a future star. Kearns isn't going to bring you much because he isn't proven. There is no way any of the old relievers will bring much at all. There is no way I would trade any of the young bull pen arms that will fetch a little bit of something. EE is the future at 3B no way they trade him. FeLo is the future at SS no way they trade him, same for Brandon Phillips. Freel is the catalyst for this offense right now. Aurillia, like it or not is very valuable to this team, and Hatteberg is the closest thing to a true first baseman the Reds have right now. We have three catchers, and the only one of them that would give more return than what he's worth is Valentin because of the year he had last year, and his small contract. You don't want to give up prospects worth anything because the Reds are building for the future. On top of all that, the Reds are WINNING RIGHT NOW. Why would you mess with this team in any major way right now? There's what Wayne Krivsky is looking at right now, see what you can do about it. By the way, Dunn is not moving to First and Griffey is not moving to LF. Period, so that isn't a way to free up Hatteberg for a trade. I see no part of this team that really has to be messed with right now. Maybe some minor moves in the bullpen, and Denorfia will probably go down when Griffey comes back, but nothing more other than trading a catcher, which doesn't bring what you need.

I'm telling you right now if Griffey stays in Center this team will suffer a great deal when he returns. I love Griffey, I really do, I enjoy seeing him in a Reds uniform and would honestly have no problem with him finishing his Hall of Fame career in a Reds uniform. Yet all that still doesnt change the fact that he has no range in center and with this teams pitching we need all the defense we can get. Also I think you underestimate the trade value of Kearns. LaRue, I think with more playing time could up his value.

takes two to tango.

It is usually rough to find a trade partner at this point in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    If the Reds want to make the playoffs I think they need to make the following moves. 1. Trade Kearns and LaRue for pitching. 2. Move Griffey to LF, Dunn to 1B, Denorfia to CF, and Freel to RF. They might be pitching well now, but I dont think these guys will hold up for an entire season. That being said the defense needs to be the absolute best that it can be. Also you can not get on people for doubting this hot start, its something we have seen before, remember in 2002 this team won 16 in April and we know how that went so of course people will have their doubts.
    Why would make all these changes. Remember, they have the best record in baseball. You can't send a signal to that to the players. Kearns is a favorite and best friends with Dunn and Griff. You aren't going to get a trade from anyone yet. Even if for example Pitt thinks they are out of it you don't let the fans know as people will still come to the games. Now, I think Krisky can work the phones and see what is there or could be there, but I wouldn't expect a move. Especially considering EZ is doing well, Milton had very successful surgery and they said he could be back sooner then though, and Williams has 2 quality starts in a row and not to forget Paul Wilson. We just need to hang until July and see if someone pops up. I do think maybe a BP improvement could be made, but nothing major.

Turn Off Ads?