Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SOOO ... when do you think anyone in baseball will give us respect?

GOREDSGO32

SOOO ... when do you think anyone in baseball will give us respect?

I mean comeon .. 11 over .. we've only lost ONE series all year, and have won a series at least versus all teams in the division. We were predicted to be LAST in the Central, and by many people last in the NL. I never beleived these predictions, I thoughjt what is happening now is definately best case scenerio, but comeon .. no respect at all?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: SOOO ... when do you think anyone in baseball will give us respect?

The 1999 Reds finished 30 games over and didn't even make the post season. I hope this Reds team gets absolutely ZERO respect until they hoist the 2006 WS trophy in Fountain Square.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

We will not get any respect till we win the pennent.
    3-2 at games this year
    5-9 all time

2010 central division champions

I dont want respect, I want a pennant

got alil captain in u?

i'll take the pennant any day they still wont' respect us when we win it they'll give some excuse

Well yesterday the Cardinals announcers referred to the bullpen as "upgraded" from last season, which is kind of funny considering how terrible the pen was the first two weeks.

If the Reds keep playing well and Edwin and Felipe keep making names for themselves, you will see 'analysts' talking about how they knew the Reds always had the potential.

Let em stay under the radar, and let teams keep underestimating them as far as I'm concerned. Media love doesn't win games, I heard Woody Paige today call our shortstop "Felipe Ortiz". Keep on thinking that all you so called "experts", it'll be that much more satisfying when the day comes that the Reds are hoisting the Pennant.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

I like it better staying under the RADAR. Less pressure. Then once we win the division, or make the playoffs, we can suprise people and teams in the playoffs.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32
    I mean comeon .. 11 over .. we've only lost ONE series all year, and have won a series at least versus all teams in the division. We were predicted to be LAST in the Central, and by many people last in the NL. I never beleived these predictions, I thoughjt what is happening now is definately best case scenerio, but comeon .. no respect at all?
    Last time the Cincinnati Reds were 11 games over .500 -- June 2nd, 2004 when the Reds beat the Marlins 3-1. Dontrelle Willis had a perfect game going through 7 until Sean Casey broke it up with a single in the 7th and then a 2 run shot in the 9th, raising his season average to .391. Corey Lidle went 7 innings of 1 run baseball, and Danny Grave notched his 26th save. The Reds record at the time: 32-21.

How'd that team end up, you ask? They managed all the way to the All Star break with a winning record (47-41) before collapsing to the finish line with a 76-86 record -- a 16 game swing.

Cincinnati Reds v.2006 have a better team than that 2004 squad. That team only had 4 players post OPS exceeding .800 (Dunn, Casey, Pena, and Griffey -- the latter two only accumulating roughly 300 ABs apiece). 12 different pitchers started games, with Harang, Lidle Acevedo and Claussen all in the 5 ERA range. Harang is a vastly superior pitcher now, Arroyo is much better than anyone on that list, and I think (but am not certain) that Claussen will end up being better than the numbers he posted that year. This year, if I had to wager, you'll possibly have at least 6 Reds posts OPSs north of 800 (Dunn, Kearns, Encarnacion, Lopez, Griffey, and Aurillia).

But, it doesn't change that we've been here before, we've seen this happen before. Fast starts fade to oblivion as BABIP numbers start to rise, long fly balls start to carry in the summer heat, and injuries take their toll on a team with little depth (especially among the guys who have to stand in the middle and throw strikes).

Reality is stark, and it sucks hard -- but the fact is that nobody is going to give the Reds respect until they go out and show they're different than all of their predecessors as opposed to the same team, with the same problems (no starting pitching, bad bullpen) that just happens to be on a hot streak.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    Let em stay under the radar, and let teams keep underestimating them as far as I'm concerned. Media love doesn't win games, I heard Woody Paige today call our shortstop "Felipe Ortiz". Keep on thinking that all you so called "experts", it'll be that much more satisfying when the day comes that the Reds are hoisting the Pennant.
    Yeah, referring to Woodrow Wilson Paige as an expert scares me the living hell out of me. I don't think I ever want to see that word collide with his name in the same sentence again.

It's a shame Skip Bayless is far worse than Woody Paige.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    The 1999 Reds finished 30 games over and didn't even make the post season. I hope this Reds team gets absolutely ZERO respect until they hoist the 2006 WS trophy in Fountain Square.

exactly.

Everyone is always clammering for "respect."

Redsfans respect what they have done so far. To take todays game for example (LaRussa's benching of his big guns), I hope we fly under the radar all season long.

Quote Originally Posted by reds2221
    We will not get any respect till we win the pennent.
    Agreed.

People mock till the team has a ring.
    Go Gators!

I'll take it when Chris Sabo goes ape again in Fountain Square.

This story seems so long ago.....

SI archives of 1990 World Series
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny-Distefano
    take todays game for example (LaRussa's benching of his big guns), I hope we fly under the radar all season long.
    I don't know about Rolen, but isn't Pujols nursing a sore back?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    The 1999 Reds finished 30 games over and didn't even make the post season.
    Keep in mind though that since the inception of the Wild Card, the 1999 Reds are far and away the best club to not make the playoffs. That's for both leagues as well. 1995 was a shortened season so throw that out for looking at the Wild Card. Starting with 1996, 20 teams have earned a Wild Card. The average number of wins by those 20 WC clubs is 93.6. That number is skewed somewhat by a few WC teams that had win totals such as 99 and 102 and won the WC by a large number of games. Thus, look to the records of the top team not to make it from each league.

A majority of the time the 5th best record in each league (top team out) wins less than 90. Also, only 5 teams have won more than 91 and missed out on the playoffs.

2002 Dodgers- 92 wins
    2002 Red sox- 93 wins
    2003 Mariners- 93 wins
    2005 Indians- 93 wins
    1999 Reds- 96 wins

So in a normal season 94-68 guarantees it. Some years a lot less than that, all the way down to 88 or 89 for the Astros last season. To get to 94 wins we'd have to still go 75-60 which is obviously really good. To equal the Stros from last season we'd only need 70-65 which looks much nicer, but that doesn't guarantee a WC of course.

Turn Off Ads?