Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul Wilson

Re: Paul Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    from the DDN about his start in Louisville

Wilson currently makes Williams look like a hard thrower. The odds of Wilson being using and adding anything of value to this team are slim and none.
    Isn't there more to pitching than just velocity though?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Sure, but you can't put a batting practice fastball over the plate in the majors unless you've got a killer secondary pitch to go with it. Wilson doesn't have that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    he also is unlikely to have enough separation between fastball and changeup.

Good point.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Can he be stopped?

Time to learn the knuckler paulie.... either that or else just throw the change and the sink... forget the fastball

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    either that or else just throw the change and the sink... forget the fastball
    My guess that you've just hit upon what he'll try, only throwing the fastball well inside (in the hopes it will look tasty and hitters will pull it foul). Basically that requires he throw strikes on an extremely infrequent basis, kind of like a late model Steve Avery. That's what you have to do when you've got nothing.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    My guess that you've just hit upon what he'll try, only throwing the fastball well inside (in the hopes it will look tasty and hitters will pull it foul). Basically that requires he throw strikes on an extremely infrequent basis, kind of like a late model Steve Avery. That's what you have to do when you've got nothing.

Yeah, what does paul's pitch list consist of? If i remember right, he had 5 pitches at one point. Sink, Change, 4 seamer for sure. And then he had what? A curve and a 2 seamer? Curve and a slider? He's gonna be throwing off speed crap all night, so he better have his location down pat.

I think it is reasonable to assume with only 2 starts in 13 months that there is a chance his fastball and location my yet improve.

Worse yet, Wilson usualy relies on his splitter which usually comes in at 82-83, and has just enough difference from his "fast"ball to be effective. If he's only hitting 82 with the heater, he's got nothing but his cutter and curve, and the curve doesn't fool anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed
    I think it is reasonable to assume with only 2 starts in 13 months that there is a chance his fastball and location my yet improve.
    if they do it will more likely be in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    Yeah, what does paul's pitch list consist of? If i remember right, he had 5 pitches at one point. Sink, Change, 4 seamer for sure. And then he had what? A curve and a 2 seamer? Curve and a slider? He's gonna be throwing off speed crap all night, so he better have his location down pat.
    4-seam, splitter, cutter, curve. Doesn't throw a straight (3-finger) change or a circle change, I don't think. Uses curve and splitter as change of pace.

"Wilson's shaky beginning was punctuated when Columbus' Melky Cabrera hammered the game's first pitch for a 387-foot home run to right center. The crowd of 6,985 held its collective breath when the next batter, Kevin Reese, hit a high fly ball in the same direction. It died on the warning track.

"It was disheartening," Wilson said of the home run. "You're just trying to get a first-pitch fastball over the plate. The guy hits it out of the park. There's not a worse feeling. But you don't let one homer bother you."

Psssst. Hey Paul.

The "Pitch to Contact" regime left town a coupla months ago.

Looks like he's had another setback. According to the team press notes he won't start Sunday as scheduled due to shoulder fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Looks like he's had another setback. According to the team press notes he won't start Sunday as scheduled due to shoulder fatigue.
    the odds of the Reds getting anything useful out of Wilson were extremely long to begin with.

Can he be stopped?

As long as paul keeps trying, I'll keep supporting him. He may never make it back to the bigs to play any part of his contract, but i'll respect him no matter what. Guy loves the game.

Turn Off Ads?