Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Williams' next start

Dave Williams' next start

If I could pick a night for Dave Williams' best start of the year, it would be this coming Sunday.

The game itself isn't anything momentous, but the Arizona Diamondbacks play in the weakest division in baseball. Every team there believes it's a contender ... and when you're only one game out of first (behind the Colorado Rockies), who's to tell you you're wrong?

Arizona's in a weird spot because it's got young players like Stephen Drew, Carlos Quentin and Chris Young almost ready for the majors and a good bullpen. Yet it has starting pitching woes as large as the Reds, with three starters carrying an ERA over 6.00. Terry Mulholland is also the only lefty on the entire pitching staff.

If Dave Williams can have a big game against the Snakes then that's a team that just might covet his services. Two guys worth pursuing on the franchise are Brandon Medders, a young reliever, and Scott Hairston, a former hot prospect now lost in the shuffle. I think Medders could be a real sleeper as a bullpen fix. Hairston wouldn't have a specific spot on the team at the moment, but he might make for nice trade bait to a club in need of a capable young stick closer to the trading deadling.

Anyway, if there's one team Dave Williams needs to impress, it's the D-Backs.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dave Williams' next start

ugh.

Just the thought that he might impress makes me think he might impress Narron, or worse Krivsky. But I'll take it a step further. I think he's auditioning in front of that whole division.

Let the bidding begin.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Just the thought that he might impress makes me think he might impress Narron, or worse Krivsky. But I'll take it a step further. I think he's auditioning in front of that whole division.
    Hopefully they have the good sense to do unto others then split.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Actually, didn't Dave Williams just impress the president of the Dave Williams Fan Club?

Dave Williams in Colorado......
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Crap.

I read the title of this thread ("Dave Williams' next start") and thought the next words would be "...will be his last in a Reds uniform."

Wishful thinking, I guess.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Kriv has to be thinking he can flip him for something... anything, or I think he'd have removed him from at least the rotation by now.

How many time does Matt Belisle have to bail him out before someone realizes that maybe the wrong guy is starting?
    Suck it up cupcake.

ugh.

Let the bidding begin.
    This makes absolutely no sense to me, much the same way the desire to see Eric Milton fail makes no sense to me. If either of these guys can find a way to be successful, then I want that. As long as they're on my team, I want them to do well, period.

How many time does Matt Belisle have to bail him out before someone realizes that maybe the wrong guy is starting?
    Boy, yeah, Matt sure bailed him out yesterday.

Now granted, the Dave Williams we've seen thus far dodged a bullet yesterday, but he dodged it nonetheless. When he's out there, I want him to do well because it leads to another tick in the old W column.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    This makes absolutely no sense to me, much the same way the desire to see Eric Milton fail makes no sense to me. If either of these guys can find a way to be successful, then I want that. As long as they're on my team, I want them to do well, period.
    Nobody wants any Reds pitchers to fail, but there has to be a recognition that certain guys are going to fail more often than not and that it would better to offload that monkey onto someone else's back.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Isn't Bank One a hitters park?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Nobody wants any Reds pitchers to fail, but there has to be a recognition that certain guys are going to fail more often than not and that it would better to offload that monkey onto someone else's back.
    The post I was responding to feared that Williams might impress and if Williams is impressing, then he's succeeding. To not want him to impress is to what him to fail.

I share the belief that Danno made an awful trade, but as long as Williams is on the roster, I want him to pitch well. If we can get something for him, great, but while he's hear (to be redundant ), I hope he succeeds like he did yesterday.

The post I was responding to feared that Williams might impress and if Williams is impressing, then he's succeeding. To not want him to impress is to what him to fail.
    The way I read it, the desire TRF had was for the Reds front office not to take one good start to heart and begin thinking Williams is something he isn't.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Isn't Bank One a hitters park?
    David Williams could pitch in Yellowstone and turn it into a hitters park.

As far as trading him -- I'm lukewarm on dealing him until the Reds figure out what Eric Milton and Paul Wilson are going to be when they come off the DL and/or if the Reds decide to make a deal for starting pitching.

As bad as Williams is, he's the best of what's around -- which is as much a comment on the Reds farm system as it is on Dave Williams awfulness.

Plus, I just don't think anyone is dumb enough to trade for him -- other than if Doug Melvin falls into a coma and Dan O'Brien is put in charge of Milwaukee. Then, I'd consider offering Williams for Prince Fielder and see if he bites. I mean, who could resist the opportunity to trade a slow first baseman for a #1 starter.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 05-03-2006 at 12:57 PM.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

The fear is that one good start will bolster management's confidence in Williams to the point that they will be willing to suffer through 4 or 5 more disasters in hopes that he can "regain his form".

That clearly hurts the team in the long run.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I share the belief that Danno made an awful trade, but as long as Williams is on the roster, I want him to pitch well. If we can get something for him, great, but while he's hear (to be redundant ), I hope he succeeds like he did yesterday.
    You think i want Williams to be a bad pitcher? Or Milton for that matter? Ridiculous. They are bad pitchers. I want Narron and Kriv to recognize that and replace them with better pitchers. Belisle is a better pitcher than Dave Williams. In fact he's likely better than Eric Milton too. I'd like some pitchers better than Matt Belisle too, thank you.

I'd love it if Dave Williams became something he is not, but if you actually watched the game, you saw how many runners he put on. And he never faced Pujols or Rolen. Edmonds came in late. Against their "A" team, he likely would have given up at least 5 runs. He got lucky. And with Claussen struggling, and Ramirez still a relative unknown as far as how he'll continue to handle this season, The known suckitude quantities need to be thinned out. That means Williams. His fastball is slow and straight, and he has no out pitch.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?