Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged: Reds Fans Slow In Returning to Ballpark / What is up With Our Fans?

Re: Reds Fans Slow In Returning to Ballpark

I heard at least 2 callers to WLW say they were scared of getting killed at or near the ballpark. I found that hard to belive, but they said it. Are people that scared in Cincinnati? What's the mindset of a person like this?

On my 2 visits, I found Cincinnati to be very nice and I didn't see anything to fear. Now the Newport Travelodge, that's a different story.
    Last edited by RBA; 05-03-2006 at 02:24 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Apr. (9G) >> 236,227 -or- 26,247/game
    May (16G) >> 407,496 -or- 25,469/game

Apr. (10G) >> 249,368 -or- 24,937/game
    May (19G) >> 431,025 -or- 22,686/game

* Totals for Apr. & May in the last two years = 24,521/game
    * Avg. per game this year so far (14G) = 23,146

I guess the writers have to find something to complain about since the REDS are in 1st place.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    I heard at least 2 callers to WLW say they were scared of getting killed at or near the ballpark. I found that hard to belive, but they said it. Are people that scared in Cincinnati? What's the mindset of a person like this?

On my 2 visits, I found Cincinnati to be very nice and I didn't see anything to fear. Now the Newport Travelodge, that's a different story.
    The Two Angry Guys were discussing this on 1360/980 this morning too. Not sure why people would feel unsafe around the ballpark area. Does anyone on here have any stories that may shed some light on why some feel like this?

I can understand being afraid of getting shot by a rapper on I-75 going to the game but not once you're at the park.

Everything you guys say about the fans jumping on the bandwagon etc. made perfect sense to me until I read in another thread recently that you can to go a game at GABP for four or five dollars. 4 or 5 bucks for professional baseball. As far as I'm concerned that place should be sold out every night. Cincinnati is a fine city with plenty to do, but it's not like there is an overwhelming number of choices on any given night.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Everything you guys say about the fans jumping on the bandwagon etc. made perfect sense to me until I read in another thread recently that you can to go a game at GABP for four or five dollars. 4 or 5 bucks for professional baseball. As far as I'm concerned that place should be sold out every night. Cincinnati is a fine city with plenty to do, but it's not like there is an overwhelming number of choices on any given night.
    But there are only so many seats that are sold at that price and those are only available on game day or unless the rest of seats are sold out in advance. Obviously most of the seats at GAB are cheaper than they are at Wrigley or even the Cell but before people here shell out $20-30 for tickets, they would like to see a decent team out there. It's hard faulting people for thinking this year's team is fool's gold. They have seen these fast starts before only to see the team go belly up once June and July come around. Short of having bobblehead night for evey home game in April and May, there aren't going to be sellouts here. Even during the height of the BRM, the fans didn't exactly come out to the park in droves during April and May.

RBA, I heard the same show and if that guy wasn't a plant, he was just an idiot. I believe Tracy said later that there had been no shootings down by the ballpark ever since they built Riverfront. I don't know how accurate that is but most of the bad stuff goes on way north of the stadium(s).

I wonder if giving away $10 vouchers for gas a few times this summer would be a good promotion. It would be a nice goodwill gesture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I suspect the only people getting murdered at the GABP are the pitchers.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    The Two Angry Guys were discussing this on 1360/980 this morning too. Not sure why people would feel unsafe around the ballpark area. Does anyone on here have any stories that may shed some light on why some feel like this?

I can understand being afraid of getting shot by a rapper on I-75 going to the game but not once you're at the park.
    it doesn't feel too safe walking across the bridge back to KY when you have a bunch of homeless guys begging for money at 11:00 at night.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Personally I fear the homeless less than 4/5ths of the rest of the planet.

On my two trips to Cincinnati I've never felt threatened or anything like that. All cities, or towns for that matter have parts of town that aren't as freindly as others, but I don't think by the ballpark in Cincinnati is that bad at all. The caller should visit Detroit's stadium. Isn't their stadium in a rough part of town?

The caller should visit Detroit's stadium. Isn't their stadium in a rough part of town?
    Yep, we used to go there in the late 60's and early 70's.... compared to that the GAB is the Kenwood Mall

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red
    The caller should visit Detroit's stadium. Isn't their stadium in a rough part of town?
    Isn't Camden Yards in a very rough part of Baltiomore as well?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I'll try to go back to every Reds home game I've been to and attempt to remember what I paid for tickets:
    • Tuesday, May 2nd: Free tickets courtesy of a friend who got four tickets from his employer.
    • Monday, May 1st: Group of six of us walked up and all bought $5 seats.
    • Friday, April 28th: Group of a dozen of us took advantage of college night (half price seats if purchased before game day). We sat about seven or eight rows behind the ball boy down the right field line, and we paid $15 each for those seats which are regularly $30.
    • Monday, April 17th: A buddy and I each walked up and bought $5 seats. We then met up with other friends we knew already at the park, maybe a half dozen or so, and they had all walked up and bought $5 seats.
    • Sunday, April 9th: Group of about 10 of us took advantage of half price Bleacher Day and paid $4 for Bleacher seats.
    • Friday, April 7th: Group of a half dozen of us took advantage of college night (half price seats if purchased in advance). Our tickets were in the lower level section of left field, circa four or five rows up, and we paid $8 each for those seats which are regularly $18.
    • Thursday, April 6th: Free tickets courtesy of my mom's employer who picked up a pair of tickets that my dad and I used.
    • Wednesday, April 5th: A buddy and I each walked up and bought $5 seats. We then met up with two other friends who did the same.

So there you go, I've been to eight games so far this season. In two games I had free tickets. Three other games we walked up and purchased $5 seats about a half hour before the game started. Three more games we took advantage of ticket promotions (two college nights and one Bleacher Day). And FWIW, I've sat in the lower level for all eight games, even the games where we walked up and purchased $5 seats cause there's no way in heck I'm actually sitting in those seats.

In the six games where I bought tickets, I've spent a total of $42, good for an average of $7 per ticket (I'm excluding the two games where I had free tickets). Also since I'm a longtime resident of Cincinnati, I know where the cheap/free parking is, unless we have three or four people in the car where we don't care to split up the cost to park in a garage or lot next to the stadium. If I had to guess, I've probably spent ~$15 total for all games on parking so far this season.

If somebody likes to watch Major League Baseball very cheaply, Cincinnati is the place for it.

BTW, another sidenote, anybody claiming the area surrounding the park is dangerous isn't exactly being truthful. Downtown Cincinnati doesn't get dangerous until you're about 10-15 blocks north of the river (it may even be farther north), and the park nearly sits right on the river.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 05-03-2006 at 03:22 PM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Isn't Camden Yards in a very rough part of Baltiomore as well?
    Nah. It used to be, but "development happened."

there's some scary neighborhoods a few blocks away, but Camden itself is fine.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Personally I fear the homeless less than 4/5ths of the rest of the planet.
    I didn't say that I feared the homeless, but I do notice that my g/f appears to clutch my arm tighter when we are walking back. People from rural areas aren't used to that. just my 2 cents.

I guess that could be solved by parking closer to the ballpark.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The previous ownership/management blamed the fans lack of attendance for not competing and slashing of payroll.

This ownership believes a winning product brings in the fans, and they will continue to build a winning contender. This ownership understands why some people are a little hesitant......we've been down this road before.

This new ownership gets it.

Turn Off Ads?