Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Merged: Reds Fans Slow In Returning to Ballpark / What is up With Our Fans?

Re: Reds Fans Slow In Returning to Ballpark

Is the US Bank Arena very nice inside..........is that used very often for events???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    The last time I remember the Metro doing that during the regular season was in 1999 - I parked and took the bus from Forest Park for the Cardinals series in September.
    I'm not sure if they did it in 00 but I remember taking shuttles down from Western Hills Plaza for a few games in 99. I think I took it to the playoff game too, IIRC. It was a good idea but they probably couldn't justify the cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

With Gas Prices skyrocketing, and it won't get any better, maybe Cinncinnati should look again at a subway system, light rail or a combination of both.

Cincinnati's Abandoned Subway
    Introduction
    Abandoned tunnels are often the object of urban legend, but Cincinnati is in fact the site of the country's largest abandoned subway tunnel. But "abandoned" is not quite the word, as construction slowed to a stop in 1925 before even half of the 16 mile line was completed. Seven miles between Cincinnati's central business district and the industrial suburb of Norwood were tunneled, bridged, or graded, but no track was laid and no subway cars were ordered. No passengers ever rode between the six stations that were built.

The incomplete Cincinnati line sat fallow through the Great Depression and WWII. Bridges, stations, and retaining walls along the surface stretches deteriorated to such an extent that a few items actually collapsed. Nearly everything above ground was bulldozed to make way for portions of I-75 and the Norwood Lateral in the 1950's and 1970's, respectively. The mute two mile tunnel that remains under Central Parkway is unknown to many Cincinnati natives, and what most who do know of it know consists largely of hearsay and speculation.

This page is the most comprehensive and most accurate source of information regarding the subway either on the web or in print. It is by far the most popular subject on www.cincinnati-transit.net, and tens of thousands have visited it since its appearance in 1999.

Subway F.A.Q.

1. Where is the subway?
    The main subway tunnel runs under Central Parkway for two miles, between Walnut St. and an anonymous spot north of the Western Hills Viaduct. Three underground stations were built and still exist at Race St., Liberty St., and Brighton's Corner. An extension of this tunnel under Walnut St. south through downtown with a station at Fountain Square was planned but never built. Additionally, several miles of surface running line were graded and three of roughly a dozen planned above ground stations were built. Significant portions of today's I-75 and the Norwood Lateral follow the path of the line. A stretch of I-71 near the Dana Ave. interchange was built where the subway loop's eastern half was planned.

2. When was it constructed?
    1920 through 1925. The $6 million bond issue in 1916 was exhausted in 1925, no further money was obtained, and construction never resumed.

3. Can the tunnel still be used?
    Yes. It has been continuously maintained and will likely be usable for the next hundred years, if not longer. The 2002 "Metro Moves" sales tax would have funded a rail transit network that planned to use the tunnel, but it was defeated by a 2-1 public vote.

4. Can the subway be visited?
    Yes. See http://www.cincinnatiadvance.com. I am in no way involved with that organization nor do I have anything to do with the tours. Do not email me about the tours -- I have never been on one and haven't been in the subway since 2002. No, I don't know when they're next one is.

http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/subway.html

Spend money on mass transit?!?!

That's un-American!!!
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Sounds like Castellini is tired of having a giant mudpit next to GABP and is willing to do something about it.
    The mudpit
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Spend money on mass transit?!?!

That's un-American!!!
    Before I posted my earlier note about tranportation to the ballpark, I found this link about one plan - http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/commuterrail.html - with one stop right at The Banks adjacent to the ballpark.

My daughter, as I've said, is living in DC where the transportation system is fabulous. She can take the subway to RFK easily. In fact, I first learned about our own subway which never was when the Enquirer ran a Washington Post article about it when folks in DC were dragging their feet on their system. People were saying no one would ever abandon a system started. Oh yeah? I still rue that decision 80 years ago.

This is the proposed rail system in 2002 that failed miserably. I wonder how the vote would turn out today with gas prices as they are? It actually looks like a pretty comprehensive solution to me.

Last edited by paintmered; 05-04-2006 at 03:31 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I might see a game in the second half of the season, but I'm not buying tickets in advance and risking getting Dave Williams or Milton.
    You can never tell. We had tickets to the afternoon game on Tuesday with Williams on the mound. I had resigned myself to the fact that we would have fun just being out of the office even if it was 6-0 after three. Lo and behold, Williams pitched a nice game and we got to see a walk off win. It doesn't get much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    My Dad has stories like that from the old Crosley Field days. You'd park on the street and some of the neighborhood kids would "watch your car" for a dollar. Dad said he always paid the dollar and his car was always fine when he got back.
    Dave Parker talked one time about doing that as a kid growing up in the West End.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    This is the proposed rail system in 2002 that failed miserably. I wonder how the vote would turn out today with gas prices as they are? It actually looks like a pretty comprehensive solution to me.
    It would still fail. Light rail won't be cheap and it won't happen tomorrow.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

That's why they need to just do it and not let short sighted voters have a say.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I didn't say that I feared the homeless, but I do notice that my g/f appears to clutch my arm tighter when we are walking back. People from rural areas aren't used to that. just my 2 cents.

I guess that could be solved by parking closer to the ballpark.

I kind of understand that. A couple of years ago we stayed in a hotel across the river and walked across the bridge. We stayed after the game trying to get autographs for the kids, and as we approached the bridge, there were several people there hanging out. Now, there was noone else around except for them and me and my wife and our (then) 2 and 6 year old boys. Yeah, having my family there made me a bit nervous, but nothing happened, and I knew it wouldn't. I guess it just made me thnk I made a weong decision about the security of my family, and made me see we were vulnerable. If I had been by myself, i wouldn't have given it a swcond thought.

But I do not ever feel unsafe down there, aside for this lone moment.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    Is the US Bank Arena very nice inside..........is that used very often for events???
    The last time I was at USBank was for the 2004 A-10 tournament, and also for some Cincy Swarm games. Its nothing special, just the old Colliseum with a new name. Kind of dark, lots of soda and popcorn butter stains to stick to your feet, you know, the works. I love open air staidums so much more, but as domes go, it's clearly second tier. But, despite all that, its a fine venue, and it has decent amounts of seating. Had I been in town, I would have been back there for the A-10 tourney this year. Go Muskies!

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    we walk across the "blue bridge", I don't know the name of it. We usually park in a parking complex just across the river in KY. It's great on a Sunday afternoon, but, like I said. It doesn't seem to safe at 11:00 at night.

It's probably just me.

Where is the best place to park, coming from KY?
    Sounds like the Suspension Bridge, which dumps you into Covington. The only place in Covington I've ever walked around after dark is Mainstrasse, but that's a series of bars not really near where you'd park to go to the game.

As far as the best place to park, it's all subjective to what's most important to you: "feeling" safe, not wanting to walk far, cost, not wanting to be stuck in traffic, etc.

The Westin Garage on Vine between 4th and 5th (in Cincy, not Kentucky) is $1 to park there during night weekday games if you arrive after 5:30pm and all weekend games. I've never not felt safe walking to/from the park and the Westin Garage, and it's not a short walk per se, but if you're used to walking across one of the bridges it shouldn't be any longer than any place you'd park at in Kentucky. The downside to that garage - and any parking garage for a ballgame, really - is it's a pain in the rear to get out of once you're back in the car because everybody is trying to leave at once.

If you want a shorter walk and don't care about cost, there's at least three parking lots on East Pete Rose Way near Gameday Cafe, but expect to pay close to $10 to park in one of those. East Garage is in that area, and costs $12, but sometimes it is passes only, plus you have to deal with traffic getting out of the garage. There's also a very large lot on Mehring Way between GABP and Paul Brown Stadium that generally runs $10. There's yet another garage near/under the Underground Museum, and that runs $12, but the walk is not even two blocks to GABP.

I've also parked over in Newport at the Levee a few times, and when I know I'll end up at the Levee after the game I always elect to park over there.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Cincinnati 21-12 .636 - 10-5 at home

5-9-06
    Attendance: 16,716.
    Weather: 74 degrees, cloudy.

Turn Off Ads?