Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged: Reds Fans Slow In Returning to Ballpark / What is up With Our Fans?

Re: Reds Fans Slow In Returning to Ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I didn't say that I feared the homeless, but I do notice that my g/f appears to clutch my arm tighter when we are walking back.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

I didn't say that I feared the homeless, but I do notice that my g/f appears to clutch my arm tighter when we are walking back. People from rural areas aren't used to that. just my 2 cents.

I guess that could be solved by parking closer to the ballpark.
    Where are you parking at? Only reason I asked is because the homeless near the ballpark don't do anything more than sit on the sidewalk holding up a sign. They might verbally ask for a bit of money, but that's about it. If you don't want to be bothered by them, just walk by and ignore them. They won't do anything to you guys.

Now if you're 10 blocks north and closer to OTR, then the homeless and anybody else on the street could hound you quite a bit. But if all you're doing is going to the game then you have no reason to be anywhere remotely close to those areas.

EDIT: Just read that you're parking in Kentucky and walking across the bridge. Where are you parking at in Kentucky and which bridge are you walking across?
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 05-03-2006 at 03:26 PM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    Since 1995 the Reds have only had two winning seasons (1999 & 2000) and one .500 season (1996).
    Don't forget that they have only two postseason appearances since 1979. Of the franchises that were in existence in 1979, only the Expos/Nationals have fewer.

I didn't say that I feared the homeless, but I do notice that my g/f appears to clutch my arm tighter when we are walking back. People from rural areas aren't used to that. just my 2 cents.

I guess that could be solved by parking closer to the ballpark.
    No I get the drift, I used to go to downtown San Francisco and Oakland, alone and with the wife... they are two diffrerent moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    The previous ownership/management blamed the fans lack of attendance for not competing and slashing of payroll.

This ownership believes a winning product brings in the fans, and they will continue to build a winning contender. This ownership understands why some people are a little hesitant......we've been down this road before.

This new ownership gets it.
    I agree. No more of the brilliant marketing plan of blaming the fans for the teams budgetary contraints.
    School's out. What did you expect?

it doesn't feel too safe walking across the bridge back to KY when you have a bunch of homeless guys begging for money at 11:00 at night.
    Have you ever had any of those homeless guys act aggressively? I never have. I once had a fellow somewhere (not by the stadium) get a little too close into my comfort zone. I immediately told him to back up and give me some space.

Now, like ANY city, folks need to use caution at night and in isolated places. One should never be off alone in many, many cities at certain times. I do know of a recent incident where two young guys I know where mugged in Sawyer Point, but it was around 11:30 at night (not a game night) and the park was deserted, which it wouldn't be on an event night.

When my wife worked in a school in Northern Kentucky she couldn't believe how many of her students had never been to the zoo and when she mentioned she lived in Cincinnat they said that's where the criminals are. Sheesh. People in the suburbs at times live in fear of the city and they lose out on lots of great things in Cincinnati.

I've lived in a neighborhood in the city near U.C. and raised my kids here. It's not without problems, but I love the viewpoint growing up in an urban setting has given my kids. LOL - when my oldest went to school in Dayton, one of her friends from Sharonville (a northern Cincy suburb for your out of towners) was convinced that she'd grown up "downtown".

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Isn't Camden Yards in a very rough part of Baltiomore as well?
    We just went to Camden and it didn't seem like a rough part of town. It's right across from the downtown district (which on Easter Sunday seemed as dead as downtown Cincinnati, if not deader). Across from the park was a restaurant and foodstand area and you were permitted to buy stuff there and take it into the ballpark. That was great!

Seeing that made me realize that we lose an awful lot having a highway and the river box us in.

I've never felt scared near GAB, now up near 7th street yes, but I don't go up there unless dragged by others
    Go Gators!

Okay what is OTR.........I'm new to this part of Country and have no idea there is some shaddy places somewhat near GAB..........went to 1 game last year.......though the area seemed fine...........i did notice a couple homless guys leaving the park asking for money, that was about it.........The Camden yards area is nice.........i've heard the bad part is about 5-6 blocks away from the stadium.......will be there for the Phillies on the 13th for the Dunn figure....I'm thinking that night it will be pretty full.......

Haunted by walks

I've never had a problem, even after night games. It's probably more of a perception fueled by Cincinnati's past social problems. And few downtowns actually have that going out, have a good time with friends, maybe take in a ballgame block party vibe anyway. The area around the ballpark is still kind of sparse.

If: Downtown Cincinnati had a large young going out population, and the ballpark area was developed for that in a casual walk up to the ballpark gates kind of feel, and the Reds had a couple of postseason appearances under their belts, then things would be jumping.

If the bulk of your fan base is driving the kids from Huntington or Lexington, planning the parking and the money for dinner, and getting back home late, that's going to be a challenge, especially during the school year.

St. Louis supposedly has a great downtown for ballgames. Is that true? And can Castellini bring a little of that magic along?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    The previous ownership/management blamed the fans lack of attendance for not competing and slashing of payroll.

This ownership believes a winning product brings in the fans, and they will continue to build a winning contender. This ownership understands why some people are a little hesitant......we've been down this road before.

This new ownership gets it.
    Absolutely! I was very impressed with Castellini's comments. He'll get this puppy moving.

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    Okay what is OTR.........I'm new to this part of Country and have no idea there is some shaddy places somewhat near GAB..........went to 1 game last year.......though the area seemed fine...........i did notice a couple homless guys leaving the park asking for money, that was about it.........The Camden yards area is nice.........i've heard the bad part is about 5-6 blocks away from the stadium.......will be there for the Phillies on the 13th for the Dunn figure....I'm thinking that night it will be pretty full.......
    OTR is Over The Rhine. It's a neighborhood - emphasis on the "hood" - north of Central Parkway that is one of the bad areas of town.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    OTR is Over The Rhine, the neighborhood north of downtown, above Central Parkway, at about what would be 11th or 12th Street. It's been rough for years and has been getting rougher. I hope we can turn it around as a city because it's got lots of beautiful places and the folks who actually live there are, overall, some decent folks, many down on their luck, but still decent folks.

St. Louis supposedly has a great downtown for ballgames.
    I don't know about the new park in St. Louis, but it was always clear to me the vast difference not being on an island makes for a ballpark. It opened everywhere and emptied fast, whereas Riverfront funnelled and jammed up and, again, we have that highway cutting everything off, so it really cuts down on what's possible.

Okay what is OTR.........
    Over the Rhine, "Slums" former german part of town, the reason the Reds came about and left the NL in the 1800's had a lot to do with the culture of the OTR inhabitats. At one time Vine street boasted over 100 bars winding up the hill, 20 beers for a buck, the AL was more or less formed in a bar in the OTR.
    Last edited by westofyou; 05-03-2006 at 03:51 PM.

Turn Off Ads?