Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged: Reds Fans Slow In Returning to Ballpark / What is up With Our Fans?

Re: Reds Fans Slow In Returning to Ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    Okay what is OTR.........I'm new to this part of Country and have no idea there is some shaddy places somewhat near GAB..........went to 1 game last year.......though the area seemed fine...........i did notice a couple homless guys leaving the park asking for money, that was about it.........The Camden yards area is nice.........i've heard the bad part is about 5-6 blocks away from the stadium.......will be there for the Phillies on the 13th for the Dunn figure....I'm thinking that night it will be pretty full.......
    Chip and redsmetz already posted a small description so this should help you with figuring out where Over-the-Rhine is:

http://www.gototown.com/images/Downt...innati_Map.pdf
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Don't forget that nice big empty ditch next door to the park that the city/county won't redevelop.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Don't forget that nice big empty ditch next door to the park that the city/county won't redevelop.
    Not to turn this political, but I'm looking forward to someone showing Phil Heimlich the door since he's decided that he's The Decider for Cincinnati and see if we can't get a genuine working arrangement between the two governmental bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Not to turn this political, but I'm looking forward to someone showing Phil Heimlich the door since he's decided that he's The Decider for Cincinnati and see if we can't get a genuine working arrangement between the two governmental bodies.
    I went to a party at his house back in the 80's... his daughters I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Have you ever had any of those homeless guys act aggressively? I never have. I once had a fellow somewhere (not by the stadium) get a little too close into my comfort zone. I immediately told him to back up and give me some space.

Now, like ANY city, folks need to use caution at night and in isolated places. One should never be off alone in many, many cities at certain times. I do know of a recent incident where two young guys I know where mugged in Sawyer Point, but it was around 11:30 at night (not a game night) and the park was deserted, which it wouldn't be on an event night.

When my wife worked in a school in Northern Kentucky she couldn't believe how many of her students had never been to the zoo and when she mentioned she lived in Cincinnat they said that's where the criminals are. Sheesh. People in the suburbs at times live in fear of the city and they lose out on lots of great things in Cincinnati.

I've lived in a neighborhood in the city near U.C. and raised my kids here. It's not without problems, but I love the viewpoint growing up in an urban setting has given my kids. LOL - when my oldest went to school in Dayton, one of her friends from Sharonville (a northern Cincy suburb for your out of towners) was convinced that she'd grown up "downtown".
    If you are thinking of the same two guys (and there's a good chance of that) I live with one of them.

One of them is 6'6" and the other is a professional athlete. So it can happen to anyone in the right circumstance.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

thanks for info guys on the OTR ........

The Brewers have half-price tickets during April and May until school is out.

I really have to wonder why their attendance is so high with half-price tickets. If I could sit in a box for 20 bucks I would go more often.

Must we have perfect weather to take in a ballgame around here?

Since the days of the Big Red Machine, if not before, the Reds have been heavily dependent on highway visitors from about four states and a hundred miles or more away. Those folks plan their journeys in advance, and for stretches when school is not a factor. They also use a lot of gas, the price of which is at present daunting.
    I'm guilty of both of the above emotions. I've got a four hour drive roundtrip. If I'm going to head down to GABP, not only do I have to make time, but the weather needs to be decent. I think that's fair and I don't think I'm less of a fan because of it.

I've also got memories of $1600 worth of damage when I got caught in a hailstorm around the IND-OH state line on I-74 while on my way to a 2002 game. That's the last time I bought tickets in advance to a Reds game.

Hopefully I'll catch one of the games on the upcoming homestead. With any luck, Arroyo will be on the mound.

I've never had a problem in downtown Cincinnati and I never understand why the folks on WLW are always talking about this fear of being killed downtown. From what I hear, you're fine as long as you are south of the Central Parkway(I think that's the name of it). I've parked on both sides of the river for games and never had a problem. The homeless people are *****cats compared to those in New York and Chicago, and even those folks are tame compared to the gypsy gangs you encounter in some of the major cities of Europe. I've felt safer going to games at GABP, Paul Brown Stadium and Riverfront than most other parks I've been to, including Wrigley, US Cellular, Tigers Stadium, Yankees Stadium, Cleveland Browns Stadium, and the Jake. I'd feel safer in downtown Cincinnati than I would in downtown Dayton, Toledo or Youngstown. I feel like the "danger" of Cincinnati is largely a creation of the talking heads on WLW.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    I'd feel safer in downtown Cincinnati than I would in downtown Dayton.
    I have to agree somewhat. I'm currently here in Dayton and am dating someone who works at Cincy Children's and lives within walking distance of there, near MLK Blvd and UC's campus. It's given me some good perspective since I'm in Dayton during the week and spend most weekends down in Cincinnati. I honestly feel safer in most areas of Cincy than I do in certain areas of Dayton, despite the smaller size. Really though, it's just a matter of not pointlessly wandering around an area you are unfamiliar with at night that has few people around, no matter what city you're in.

And Dayton does have very safe areas as well. I actually live in the same apt. complex as most of the Dayton Dragons. I don't need a schedule to tell me when they are at home or on a roadtrip, just have to look across the hall!

If the team is still playing well when the weather heats up more fans will be there.

Schott, Lindner, Bowden, Allen and O'Brien have done more harm to this franchise than the neighborhood or a few homeless folks could ever do.

Most of the voices heard on WLW should Always be taken with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    Where are you parking at? Only reason I asked is because the homeless near the ballpark don't do anything more than sit on the sidewalk holding up a sign. They might verbally ask for a bit of money, but that's about it. If you don't want to be bothered by them, just walk by and ignore them. They won't do anything to you guys.

Now if you're 10 blocks north and closer to OTR, then the homeless and anybody else on the street could hound you quite a bit. But if all you're doing is going to the game then you have no reason to be anywhere remotely close to those areas.

EDIT: Just read that you're parking in Kentucky and walking across the bridge. Where are you parking at in Kentucky and which bridge are you walking across?
    we walk across the "blue bridge", I don't know the name of it. We usually park in a parking complex just across the river in KY. It's great on a Sunday afternoon, but, like I said. It doesn't seem to safe at 11:00 at night.

It's probably just me.

Where is the best place to park, coming from KY?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I once went to a Raider game in Los Angeles, and I had to pay for car "protection" insurance. (I think that was how they phrased it) I didn't care if the Bengals won or lost, I just wanted to get back to my car and see if it was still there! Thankfully it was.........

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred05
    I once went to a Raider game in Los Angeles, and I had to pay for car "protection" insurance. (I think that was how they phrased it) I didn't care if the Bengals won or lost, I just wanted to get back to my car and see if it was still there! Thankfully it was.........
    My Dad has stories like that from the old Crosley Field days. You'd park on the street and some of the neighborhood kids would "watch your car" for a dollar. Dad said he always paid the dollar and his car was always fine when he got back.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    My Dad has stories like that from the old Crosley Field days. You'd park on the street and some of the neighborhood kids would "watch your car" for a dollar. Dad said he always paid the dollar and his car was always fine when he got back.
    ...until the kids take two bucks to look the other way when the car thieves come around.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?