Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Merged: Reds Fans Slow In Returning to Ballpark / What is up With Our Fans?

Re: What is up With Our Fans?????

1. The weather was threatening.
    2. The opponent was not a real good one
    3. It was a school night. Look back in the box scores throughout April and May in Reds history and you will see that even the best teams did not draw so well this early in the season.
    4. People do not believe in this team yet. They have seen this act before: Get hot in April and May and then go into the tank in June or July.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    saboforthird

My wife and I talked about this yesterday. If the Reds are still "in it" after the All-Star break, we'll try to make a trip up there from the Bluegrass state. We got a baby due any day now.

Only 34 games have been played and the Reds were forecasted to be bad. They still very well may be. Alot of ups, downs and inbetweens at this point.

On Baseball Tonight, Kruk took a shot at the crowd. Showed Dunn's bomb and he said where are the people? I'll be there Saturday Night. It's hour and half drive for me. Went and bought the tickets at Meijers tickets.com bit and took them half hour to figure it out. I'm not kidding either. The wife was getting extremley mad at how long it took. I was thinking there was going to be a giant crowd for the Dunn figure night. Reason why I wanted to get them early. I got a pair of $12 in 2nd row upper level behind home plate.......so the pre sell looks week even for that game...........walk up will big, I hope.......

Well, some of us have an exam tomorrow...and live 4 hours away.

Seriously, I envy those of you who live/have lived in the Cincinnati area and are able to go to games on a regular basis. As it is, I have to settle for XM, but it's better than the days of having to sit in the car in the driveway to listen to the game.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    I have season tickets. I gave them to my brother in law tonite.

The fans are fine. Blame the team for years of inept business.
    Good. Glad to hear your tickets were used.

I agree the management of the team has not been good in recent years. However, I refuse to continuously blame management/ownership for poor attendance.

The management and ownership were replaced this year. That alone should result in a spike in attendance. The fact that we are 10 games over .500 in May and in first place should also supplement attendance.

Neither has helped. I'm embarrassed.
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 05-11-2006 at 12:32 AM.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

don't really want to bring this up but is it the Junior factor too. I know that some on the Board have said that he brings in the crowds. Could the fact that he is out have something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Only an 8 hour drive..where is your commitment?
    It's actually only about five...even worse!

I go to both Comiskular and Wrigley quite often, and I'm neutral-to-fair on the White Sox and actively dislike the Cubs. So MLB gets my money, and I excuse myself for never having been to GABP.

Seriously though...besides the rain, the management, the Nationals and a lot of other things people have mentioned, I don't think night games on school nights in such a "family-oriented" city typically do too well. Give it another month, and there will be more people there regardless of how the team is doing. This is actually quite a stressful time of year for a lot of people...a lot of things winding up to wind down. School, end of fiscal year, weddings, you name it. Hang in there. (Would an "if you build it..." reference be too corny here...)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

In the fans' defense, tonight anyway, it had rained here from around noon right up until just before game time... plus more was predicted, along with severe storms (which didn't come, thank heaven).

There's no way I'd go down there and sit in the rain all night. Who was to know it would quit at game time?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    don't really want to bring this up but is it the Junior factor too. I know that some on the Board have said that he brings in the crowds. Could the fact that he is out have something to do with it.
    I don't think so. It's typical this time of year. I know, I know, but it is. I honestly don't know why. There seemed to be quite a few kids in the crowd tonight; I was surprised.

I don't think it's because people don't want to go during the week, I just think that until school's out, their kids lives just get in the way.

School will be out in 3 or 4 weeks; we'll see what happens then.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Re: Reds Fans Slow In Returning to Ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    There were more games on in the 70's then now.
    Really? That's not the way I remember it.

And they very rarely televised home games. Maybe one or two a year, plus Opening Day.

Seems like they should televise every road game and no (or very few) home games.

Re: Merged: Reds Fans Slow In Returning to Ballpark / What is up With Our Fans?

Well, they certainly are not catching a break on weather this homestand...a chance of rain (and a good chance at that) for the next six or seven days, with highs on a few of those days not getting out of the 50s. Yuck.

Then again, I will be there for a few of them from Memphis, so it is what it is.

Re: Reds Fans Slow In Returning to Ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by tsj017
    Really? That's not the way I remember it.

And they very rarely televised home games. Maybe one or two a year, plus Opening Day.

Seems like they should televise every road game and no (or very few) home games.
    I think we have to meet in the middle here, according to my 1978 program there were at least 50 games on TV, accoding to my 1956 almanac in 1956 they showed all weekday Home games except nights and weekends and 30 road games.

It's not just the Reds. I scanned the box scores for last nights games and most had less than 20,000--and that included the O's in Camden Yards--where 35,000 plus a couple of years ago was the norm.
    Where we gonna go?

Yeah, I think weekday April-May games are tough to get to if you have school-age kids. Iffy weather certainly doesn't help. Weekend games are better attended.

I know for us, the month of May is taken up with a wide variety of end-of-the-school-year events (scholastics, music, athletics, etc.). And I think we're probably a pretty typical 'burb-type family.

I'd like to get down to games, but frankly, my spare time is very scarce right now and will be till June when the kids get out. If I get a night off, the couch calls me. Call me Homer.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?