Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated/Underrated MLB Players

Most Overrated/Underrated MLB Players

Overrated: Derek Jeter
    Underrated: Michael Young

As voted by 370 MLB players. Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most Overrated/Underrated MLB Players

Couldn't agree more on Jeter for what he is paid he is #1.GO CINCY!!!!!

Overrated: Johnny Damon
    Underrated: Brian Giles
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

It's hard to know exactly what they mean by that...as a not-really-casual baseball fan, I tend to analyze that right away, and they mean over/underrated by whom? Because in my world, there would be very different answers from the broadcasters/casual fan/die-hard fan. Jeter is a perfect example, in a way. Terribly overrated by broadcasters, terribly underrated by stats geeks. in my opinion.

If we're going strictly by payroll, I'd say one of the closers. BJ Ryan comes to mind.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I don't think Jeter is overrated he's got 4 rings which is more than most of the 370 ballplayers polled. Most guys get to be overrated because they get talked about constantly which for three or four years Jeter was talked alot about. Overpaid yes overrated no.

Overrated Curt Schilling
    Underrated Craig Biggio

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If everyone thinks that a player is underrated, can he still be, by definition, underated? I mean, it seams like everyone knows that he's actually much better than people think. Which, then follows, that he's no longer underrated.

Underrated Reds?

Harang, who last year was one of the best 20 starters in the NL, but got bogged down wit hthe rest of the Reds staff because he didn't get very good run support. If Harang pitches as well as he did last year, he'll get 18+ wins if the Reds give him average (for them) run support.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    I don't think Jeter is overrated he's got 4 rings which is more than most of the 370 ballplayers polled.
    So he played for some very talented Yankees teams in the late 90s. Why would that mean he couldn't be overrated?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Big wow, 4 rings. I don't think that makes a player what he is, even though they say "he'll be judged by how many rings he wins." If that was the case then Barry Bonds would have atleast one (or 10). Griffey AND A-Rod on one team in their prime and ZERO WS appearances. Rings don't make a player. I'm not picking on you KoryMac bc all media heads say that too.

Overrated I think Jeter is by far number one. He has terrible range on ground balls (see the Bible or your current BA magazine). And Tony Womack. Someone traded two semi-prospects for him and then when that guy got fired, the new GM had to cut TW bc he wasn't very good, AT ALL.

Underrated - Michael Young and many Rangers' hitters. Jonny Gomes (starting to get respect).

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    If everyone thinks that a player is underrated, can he still be, by definition, underated?
    I felt the same way in the preseason when everyone was tabbing the Brewers as the 'dark horse' team. If everyone was doing it, how could they be the team least expected to do anything?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Oh man, I get emotional when defending Jeter so I probably won't shut up here and I'm sorry. The rings are not the greatest example to use as evidence of his talent, but not ignorable when you consider how important a part of most of those teams he was. To the argument that he came along to the right team at the right time -- well, it's cyclical. That team was in great part what it was because of him. Or at least in small part. Yes, he happened to come along in time for a team that won four championships in five years; had he not come along, though, there's a very good chance that it might not have been a team that won four championships in five years.

Again, though, that's not the greatest example of why he's good. See, to call him overrated -- overrated on what? You use his weakness of range as an example, but I rarely hear people refer to Jeter as a great defensive shortstop (except Tim McCarver). In fact the people I know rag on him so badly as a shortstop that I often find myself pointing out that his range to his left is decent and he tracks flyballs like almost nobody else. He's won one (two?) Gold Gloves now, and that's perhaps undeserved. But the first (only?) one was almost ten years into his career, so it's not as if his defense is perpetually overrated. He is a thoughtful hitter who can be patient and also hit for power, he's an extraordinary baserunner, and he's a tough, durable player whose confidence and drive have a lot to do with the quality of that team. That's not overrated to me. Put it this way: even the people I know who loathe Jeter have all admitted to me at some point that they'd want Jeter on their real-life or fantasy teams.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Overrated: Nomar (even without all the injuries)

Underrated: Harang's got to be up there. vatican's man Javier V. gets a few votes. But at the present moment, without a doubt it's got to be Contreras--he may be the best starter in baseball over the last 9 months.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I really like the Jeter one, I have a friend and for quite sometime we have been in a never ending debate of Barry Larkin vs. Derek Jeter any takes on that?

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    I really like the Jeter one, I have a friend and for quite sometime we have been in a never ending debate of Barry Larkin vs. Derek Jeter any takes on that?
    I can say this: Barry HoF induction would be an absolute certainty if he had played on the Yankees.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Overrated: Chipper Jones

Yeah, yeah... say what you want about those division titles. Still, this guy has never really impressed me that much. In my opinion, he's never really been one of the best players in the game despite getting that publicity. The Atlanta pitching has been much more important to their success, and this guy's rep has been one of the main beneficiaries. He's also looking more and more like he's going to poop out before his statistics merit Hall consideration. A latter day Dale Murphy if you ask me.

Underrated: Reggie Sanders

I'm sure that I'm biased on this one since this guy was one of the first Reds prospects to catch my attention during a period when I had just learned what a 'prospect' actually was. Although he never quite lived up to the intial hype and the promise of the first half of 1995, he's put together quite a career. His speed and power numbers have been consistent for a long time and he also seems to play in the playoffs every year. Coincidence? I think not. This guy is a low-key personality, but he's been a, low-priced, all-around contributor for lots of winning teams. Too bad he's now wasting away in KC. Something tells me that his magic won't work this year.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

overrated.....torii hunter
    under...vizquel

Turn Off Ads?