Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated/Underrated MLB Players

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Most Overrated/Underrated MLB Players

Overrated: Alf Soriano (despite his undeniably great start this year). He's worth about half what he's made during his career. Johnny Damon is another good one mentioned above. He was overpaid on his last contract, and is certanly overpaid now. Neither a great power guy or on-base guy. Solid, but not elite.

Underrated: For years it was Abreu, but I think his last contract got him his due attention.

Adam Dunn. For a LIKELY future Hall of Famer (IMO), the media and fans both focus a whole lot on his negatives. In some ways I blame rotisserie baseball. That whole batting average thing deflates his perceived value, while inflating a guy like Teixeira (who I also like, but is certainly no better and is probably worse).

I'll also throw out there that A-Rod - despite his salary - has been underrated by certain members of media, as well as fans, over the last couple years. In particular, anyone who thought the he was less deserving of the MVP than David Ortiz fails to account for the scarcity of offensive talent on the left side of major league infields.

Mark my words. If they had identical contracts, Theo Epstein and all of the other Sox brain trust would trade A-Rod for Ortiz any day of the week - this year, last year, next year, whenever.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Underrated: For years it was Abreu, but I think his last contract got him his due attention.

Adam Dunn. For a LIKELY future Hall of Famer (IMO), the media and fans both focus a whole lot on his negatives. In some ways I blame rotisserie baseball. That whole batting average thing deflates his perceived value, while inflating a guy like Teixeira (who I also like, but is certainly no better and is probably worse).
    Could not agree with you more. Great post.

Overrated: Carlos Zambrano

Underrated: David Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Overrated: Carlos Zambrano
    I was originally gonna disagree and argue this big time, but since I looked it up, you're kinda right.

Is Vernon Wells underrated? I don't really know how he's perceived, but he always scares the crap out of me when he's up in a big spot. Soriano is definitely overrated, that one's almost too easy. And Rolen is in that same class with Jeter, where the overpraise is much worse than the overrate, if that makes any sense. Neither of those guys found a cure for cancer or saved the world from terrorism. Just tone it down a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarkin
    Overrated: Marcus Giles

Underrated: Jack Wilson
    I'd say that's exactly backwards.

I'll go with chili with Soriano as the most overrated player in the game, though I'd consider Vernon Wells here too. The guy's an easy out for most RHPs in recent year. Though both Soriano and Wells are off to red-hot starts.

For underrated I can't quite pick one guy, but Nick Johnson, Melvin Mora, Geoff Jenkins and Chone Figgins come to mind.
    Last edited by M2; 05-04-2006 at 09:26 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'd add Carlos Beltran to the overrated list.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    I was originally gonna disagree and argue this big time, but since I looked it up, you're kinda right.
    How could anyone looks at what Zambrano's done in recent years and consider him overrated? For three straight years he's been in the league top 10 in ERA. In two of those years he was in the top 10 in IP. He was probably one of the top 10 starters in baseball in the 2003-2005 timeframe.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I don't know in what statistical categories Teixeira could be considered "probably worse" than Dunn. But for the past couple of seasons, they've been very similar players--Teixeira has a higher BA, but Dunn walks more. Teixeira has more RBIs, but generally batted in a more favorable position in the lineup than did Dunn. If you were picking one of these guys from which to build your team around, I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. (Even though Teixeira is off to a slow start this year.)
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    For underrated I can't quite pick one guy, but Nick Johnson, Melvin Mora, Geoff Jenkins and Chone Figgins come to mind.
    johnson's one of those guys who would be a star if he played for a diff't team.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Jeter isn't even the best SS on his team right now...

Much of Jeter's early success was largely due to the fact of the players around him. In his defense, he's produced recently, but he's never been in a bad lineup, so I contend that the majority of his career has been due to his teammates.

Had Jeter played for the Reds, I don't think he would have turned out to be a media sensation for 2 reasons. 1, Cincinnati is about 100 media markets lower than NYC. 2, Cincinnati until 2005 and this year hasn't had a good offensively lineup. Jeter would have struggled in the Queen City.

Surprisingly, I feel that Jeter and Felipe Lopez are strikingly similar players b/c they both suffer defensively, and their offensive success is largely due to their teammates. Lopez is the product of the Reds' lineup, just like Jeter was/is the product of a Steinbrenner bought lineup.

Derek Jeter IS the most overrated player in baseball right now. It's good to see that Jeter can pick up where Joe DiMaggio left off as one of the most overrated players in the history of baseball

As for underrated, I gotta give the nod to Morgan Ensberg, although he's borderline for that right now b/c he's starting to get some respect and recognition. If I'm going to go with a true underrated, I'm going with Aaron Rowand.

I don't really want to get into a Derek Jeter-slurping contest on a Reds message board, but this is exactly why Jeter is *underrated* - especially by non-Yankee fans. Not even the best shortstop on his team??? Come on - do you really buy that?? He'll eventually end his career with about a .310 career BA, 3000+ hits, 300 or so home runs, and 300-400 steals. Not to mention 4 WS rings.

It obviously helps to be in a better lineup, but come on - 3000 hits doesn't just happen by accident. He's a damn good baseball player, and one of the top 3/4 shortstops in the game over the last 10 years.

Underrated = how about Jason Jennings? If he pitched anywhere else in the NL, he'd likely be a #1 starter. Very good hitter, too - career BA around .250.

Jeter is still not a better SS then ARod and thats what people are getting at. Another one I would like to throw out as overrated, Jim Edmonds

Quote Originally Posted by PTI (pti)
    I don't really want to get into a Derek Jeter-slurping contest on a Reds message board, but this is exactly why Jeter is *underrated* - especially by non-Yankee fans. Not even the best shortstop on his team??? Come on - do you really buy that?? He'll eventually end his career with about a .310 career BA, 3000+ hits, 300 or so home runs, and 300-400 steals. Not to mention 4 WS rings.

It obviously helps to be in a better lineup, but come on - 3000 hits doesn't just happen by accident. He's a damn good baseball player, and one of the top 3/4 shortstops in the game over the last 10 years.

Underrated = how about Jason Jennings? If he pitched anywhere else in the NL, he'd likely be a #1 starter. Very good hitter, too - career BA around .250.
    Gotta agree here, Jeter is never gonna win an MVP but he's definitely a huge part of the yankees success. I know this is very cliche and cheesy, but his intangibles combined with the FACT that year in and year out he will post solid to above average #'s across the board is a reason I'd have him on my short list of SS's to start a team with.

Quote Originally Posted by K-GAR
    Gotta agree here, Jeter is never gonna win an MVP but he's definitely a huge part of the yankees success. I know this is very cliche and cheesy, but his intangibles combined with the FACT that year in and year out he will post solid to above average #'s across the board is a reason I'd have him on my short list of SS's to start a team with.
    The Yankees make Derek Jeter. Derek Jeter does not make the Yankees.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    The Yankees make Derek Jeter. Derek Jeter does not make the Yankees.
    There is some truth to that, but I think it's more like the Yankees enhance Derek Jeter just as Derek Jeter enhances the Yankees

Turn Off Ads?