Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MIA: Offense

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

MIA: Offense

Over the last nine games, the Reds have scored 37 runs or an average of 4.1 runs per game. That's shocking.

A couple of things come to mind. First, Ryan Freel is proving why he is not an everyday player. In this stretch, Ryan is 9-39 (.231). He looks tired and plays tired. The Reds also have hit a power shortage. In the nine games, the Reds have hit 6 HR's, most of them coming from guys you don't expect. Dunn has 2, which you would expect, but the surprising stat is Aurilia's 2. EdE has one and Ross has one. Lopez, Kearns, and others have been silent.

The good news is the 23 runs allowed by the Reds' pitching (2.56). For once the pitching staff is carrying the Reds.

Tonight, the staff gave up 3 runs which normally would be a no-brainer win. Trouble was we didn't score. Over the nine games, the Reds are 7-2, which is good, but we had better hope the power shortage and the leadoff position come on strong if we want to continue at the top of the standings.

Note: It's been an amazing season so far and the makeup of this team has changed so much. I am very happy with the results, but with our iffy pitching staff I think we need more offense. Someone tell me why I should not be concerned.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MIA: Offense

My first instinct is to analyze why the Reds lost today but I remind myself that losses happen and sometimes you just tip your hat to the opposing team and get ready for tomorrow.

Jeff Francis is good. Before the game even started I called my friend and told him we were going to lose. Just had a feeling. Like Baumer said though, you cant win them all and sometimes the other side just plays better than you do. Hopefully we can be that team tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    Over the last nine games, the Reds have scored 37 runs or an average of 4.1 runs per game. That's shocking.

A couple of things come to mind. First, Ryan Freel is proving why he is not an everyday player. In this stretch, Ryan is 9-39 (.231). He looks tired and plays tired. The Reds also have hit a power shortage. In the nine games, the Reds have hit 6 HR's, most of them coming from guys you don't expect. Dunn has 2, which you would expect, but the surprising stat is Aurilia's 2. EdE has one and Ross has one. Lopez, Kearns, and others have been silent.

The good news is the 23 runs allowed by the Reds' pitching (2.56). For once the pitching staff is carrying the Reds.

Tonight, the staff gave up 3 runs which normally would be a no-brainer win. Trouble was we didn't score. Over the nine games, the Reds are 7-2, which is good, but we had better hope the power shortage and the leadoff position come on strong if we want to continue at the top of the standings.

Note: It's been an amazing season so far and the makeup of this team has changed so much. I am very happy with the results, but with our iffy pitching staff I think we need more offense. Someone tell me why I should not be concerned.
    Everything will even out in the end. It's early.

everyone still fearing the return of KGjr.?

WKU Hilltoppers

I'm with you on that. Griffey and his 500+ home runs are bound to cripple our offense.
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base
    --Dave Barry

It was 50 degrees, raining, and a mile high last night. Is it just me, or does it seem like baseball players play in the rain a lot more than they used to? I think it rained the entire game last night.

Lopez is scaring me this year.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Did anyone really expect the offense to keep putting up the kind of numbers it has this year? I don't think we are going to turn into the Pirates - offensive wise - but I think the offense is just coming back down to earth some.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    Lopez is scaring me this year.
    Expand on your thoughts here -
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

If Griffey wasn't in the wings, the Reds could use another middle of the order bat. Most of the guys they now have are complimentary hitters, not mid-order types IMO.

Man Pills

I'm about as worried about this offense as I am that I'll become a pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'm more worried that I'll go line dancing than that the offense will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Are you saying a life of cutlasses and dubloons couldn't woo you?

Thanks to the lack of quality navies around the Indian Ocean, piracy's making a big comeback.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?