Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get outta jury duty

Man Pills

Re: How to get outta jury duty

I served on a jury--I have a graduate degree, am white, and male.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I know a guy who used diabetes to get out of jury duty.

That's all I got.
    Hmmmm... I guess I can use that one and have the syringes and insulin to prove it!

I was called to serve a month after O.J. was found not guilty in the criminal trial. I was seated in the jury box. The trial was for crack cocaine possesion by the brother of the current mayor of Dayton, OH (the 3rd time he had been caught with crack as I found out later). In the "questioning the perspective jurors" by the prosecutor and the defense attoney I was asked by the prosecutor if I can be fair and impartial. I said, "Yes, but I question if the system really works anymore." He asked me to elaborate. I told him that a certain trial in California that just concluded really made me wonder if the sytsem can be manipulated by jury selection and site of the trial. The judge told me and the others that they want us to answer the questions honestly and not give the answer we thought should be heard... and so I was honest. Believe it or not, the defense attorney made me his first of three jurors that he was allowed to excuse from the trial. As I was walking out of the courtroom, the judge said to me, "Mr. X, the sytem is not perfect but it is the best system on this planet." I told him that I agreed with him and got the heck out of there! It was the looooonnnngggggeeeeesssttt 30-foot walk I had ever taken (felt like I was guilty of something... honesty).

I later ran into two of the other perspective jurors at locations throughout the city and they both called me out. Said they would not have the guts to say what I said, but thought it was great that I said it. I told them that I was just being honest and I was not trying to get out of the duty.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

I've been on two juries, both criminal, both short trials. Both appeared to be a third strike type case. Both were sort of personal nightmares.

A hung jury. (And we had a very bad foreperson. Choose a good foreperson.)

And another case where I had to go to the judge because I realized after the trial had started that I had met one of the witnesses, who had yet to testify, and who also happened to be the defendant's mother. (Later I also realized that I'd also met the defendant and defense attorney about the time this crime was committed. And they said something about him being in big trouble for something he didn't do. But I didn't remember that until LONG after the trial.)

Nevertheless, if I'm called again, I'll go. I'd kind of like to have a relatively normal jury experience.

My brother was on a jury for a civil case. He said that was interesting, because they had to determine damages (after they found for the plaintiff.)

My sister in law was on a federal grand jury for a fraud investigation. And I know someone else who served on another one in Arizona. The latter was a big case and in the news a lot. It was so hard not to ask them questions as their cases was going on.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Any of you been on a Federal jury before? Depending on where you live (Alaska, etc), that can be a real hardship, as these courts might draw from the entire state. The USDC for Massachusetts has a courthouse in Boston that draws from the entire Eastern part of the state, including Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.

For those not familiar with local geography, you can only get off those islands by boat or plane. My boss was a co-juror with a woman from Martha's Vineyard. She got up at 4 in the morning everyday, flew in, then flew home every evening ($120 per trip). The government does not pay this.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I don't understand why people want to get out of jury duty. It's a civic obligation.

And yes, I have served on a jury. Was it fun? No. Would I do it again? Of course.
    Important words. The majority of countries in the world don't impose this obligation on their citizens, because jury trials are not a part of their legal system.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I served on a jury--I have a graduate degree, am white, and male.
    Did you serve in the south?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The two juries that I served on were more white than black, though both were mostly female also. I think most of the white males try to get out of it or just don't show up. The last time I went, I think just about everyone got placed on a jury. They had four trials, and they called me for the first one, but I didn't get on that jury. Few minutes after I got back to the room, they called me for the third one, and said that those that didn't get on that jury would go directly to another courtroom for the fourth case. There weren't many of us left at that point.

Letterman did a "Top Ten Ways to Get Out of Jury Duty" list a few years ago. Number one was to look coyly at the judge and ask him if that's Aramis he's wearing.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Did you serve in the south?
    Tennessee and Pennsylvania.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I think it really depends on the judge and attorneys whether they will disfavor "white males with graduate degrees."

My boss got called to the aforentioned jury duty. The defendant's law firm was one of our best clients (we do farmed-out legal research for them). He had met the lawyer casually. The judge still wouldn't excuse him. The U.S. attorney didn't object. He had to serve.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

I have jury duty starting tomorrow. I don't want to do it, I've been stressing over it for weeks. I'm hoping I don't get selected...
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I've been a registered voter for 20 years now, and have never been selected, called, mailed, or in anyway been considered for a jury. I'd like to be.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I have jury duty starting tomorrow. I don't want to do it, I've been stressing over it for weeks. I'm hoping I don't get selected...
    Don't stress too much. Everyone I know who has done jury duty has said it's a really interesting thing to do once.

I'd love to be called, but I wouldn't last 30 seconds on any criminal jury and probably about that long on any civil jury either.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    A friend of mine just said that she thought that anyone who goes to trial is guilty, and she wasn't picked.

You can also try the Larry David method.

(warning: offensive, but very funny)

YouTube - Larry David :: Jury Duty
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    I don't understand why people want to get out of jury duty. It's a civic obligation.

And yes, I have served on a jury. Was it fun? No. Would I do it again? Of course.
    Yeah, that. If people want the justice system to work, then they have to do their part.
    Last edited by foxfire123; 02-06-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: clarification and spellcheck!

Turn Off Ads?