Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boston starting to realize Pena is better in CF

Boston starting to realize Pena is better in CF

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...format=&page=1

Looks like the Boston press is starting to ease up on WMP.

Wily comfortable with Mo time in CF
    By Michael Silverman
    Thursday, May 4, 2006 - Updated: 07:47 AM EST

Some fans might be confused, but that indeed was Wily Mo Pena settling comfortably under a fly ball for the first out of last night’s 7-6 Red Sox loss, hit by Toronto’s Alex Rios to medium center field.

Even for a big guy, Pena looks a lot more at home playing center than he did in right, especially at Fenway Park. Five of his past six starts have been in center, including his past two starts at Fenway.

After a series of misplays in right during the Sox’ first homestand, Pena has done a good job of making the blunders distant memories. His steadily improving at-bats have not hurt his cause, but the return of Trot Nixon (groin) and continued absence of center fielder Coco Crisp (broken finger) have allowed the Sox to play him at a position better suited for him at the time being.

“Center field, it’s a little more easy here,” said Pena, who was 3-for-4 last night with two RBI and again was solid in the field. “Right field, when the ball hits the corner . . .”

He still works out every day at both positions. One day, he ran out to the Green Monster to take some fly balls in left, but “they waved me away, back toward center.”

“Right field, you just have to learn to play it,” Pena said. “(First base coach Bill Haselman) hits ground balls down into the corner, and I just like to see how it moves. Sometimes I pick it up, sometimes I just watch it to see how it rolls. And I talk to Trot a lot. He’s been playing there for so many years. And a day game, in right field, it is difficult, the sun.”

Getting a read on a ball in center is easier than either of the corner outfield positions because the ball is hit more directly to center, but the flip side is that the center fielder has more room to cover than either of the other outfielders.

That is where Pena’s athleticism comes into play. For someone who bears more resemblance to Lawrence Taylor than a prototypical center fielder, the 6-foot-3, 245-pound Pena is more lightfooted and quick than one might think.

“I look too big to play center field, but I can run a little bit,” said Pena, whose career fielding percentage after 94 starts in center is .985, much better than the .966 he’s registered in 110 starts in right.

“He’s a big kid. He would be a hell of a football player,” manager Terry Francona said.

Pena’s playing time at any outfield position certainly will take a hit once Crisp returns in the middle of the month, but until then, center field is home sweet home.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Boston starting to realize Pena is better in CF

Pena has a .309/.361/.564 line in 55 AB's with 4 walks and 19 strikeouts. Looks like he might be getting comfortable in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    Pena has a .309/.361/.564 line in 55 AB's with 4 walks and 19 strikeouts. Looks like he might be getting comfortable in Boston.
    He's got some great role models in Manny and Big Papi. I'll bet he's getting some good coaching from those two.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    He's got some great role models in Manny and Big Papi.
    For me, much of that sentence is difficult to fathom, since I have trouble picturing Manny as a role model.

I got reamed here for saying Manny was average or above in CF. I still believe it.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    For me, much of that sentence is difficult to fathom, since I have trouble picturing Manny as a role model.
    Maybe role model is the wrong word, but he's been really Manny-like at the plate lately, just smacking line drives all over the field. It's almost eerie how similar he seems to Manny at times, just kind of an extreme version.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    I got reamed here for saying Manny was average or above in CF. I still believe it.
    I think you meant WMP here, but yeah, a lot of us did.

Arroyo will come back to earth eventually. Earth may be a #2 pitcher. Which is great. WMP becoming comfortable in Boston? a .925 OPS? A .361 OBP?

Great googily moogily. When Boston really does realize what they have, it will make Yankee fans even more nuts. After all WMP was traded to the Reds by the Yankees.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Yeah, brain fart. Thanks.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by unassisted
    Depends on the role.

As a hitter, Manny is a great role model.

As a fielder, not so good.

As a person,

I think the deal is good for both teams and I hope WMP blooms there...Undoubtedly we are all loving Arroyo and undoubtedly his numbers will settle in...What the deal does is show the rest of the league the Reds are in it to plat and also to let them know that our GM doesn't expect to get something without giving something up. Baseballs version of Fair Trade.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    I think the deal is good for both teams and I hope WMP blooms there...Undoubtedly we are all loving Arroyo and undoubtedly his numbers will settle in...What the deal does is show the rest of the league the Reds are in it to plat and also to let them know that our GM doesn't expect to get something without giving something up. Baseballs version of Fair Trade.
    Anyone would look better in CF playing next to Gold Glover Manny.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

He looked pretty good in last nights game in Center and at the plate. I think the its still too early to evaluate this trade, but overall, I may change my perception of not liking it, to thinking it will end up being good for both teams.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Nice IsoD. For Wily Mo.

Wily Mo wound up playing all 3 OF positions last night in Yankee Stadium, and made a nice running catch in LF. Had he ever played all 3 in the same game before?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    He's got some great role models in Manny and Big Papi. I'll bet he's getting some good coaching from those two.
    Yeah, maybe he can get advice on how to demand a trade during the off-season.

Turn Off Ads?