Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 10 Reasons why the Reds were losing....

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

10 Reasons why the Reds were losing....

10 Reasons why the Reds were losing in previous years...

10. Bob Boone meant well.... He just could re-invent the game.

9. Bronson Arroyo and Brandon Phillips played for other teams.

8. Carl Linder gave the players too much Milk and Bananas before each game. (Too tired to play with full bellies).

7. Adam Dunn thought "hitting the other way" was silly and offensive.

6. Carl Linder secretly had Wayne Krivsky duct taped to a desk in Minnesota so that his prodigal son, Dan O'Brien, could work his magic.

5. The scouting and player development departments were instructed to sign and develop players (including unsignable draft picks) who "would not cost us much" in the long run.

4. Brandon Larson, Wily Mo Pena and several of their "5 tool" cousins could not take the pressure of playing in a "small market" city.

3. As a deterrent, the Reds had their players take anti-steroid pills, thus reducing their abilites by 30 to 50%.

2. Dave Miley was so huggable.

1. Dan O'Brien was one heck of a GM and evaluator. For me to poop on!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 10 Reasons why the Reds were losing....

1A. Because the farm system has only developed two starting pitchers (Browning, Tomko) in the last 22 years (one every eleven years).

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    1A. Because the farm system has only developed two starting pitchers (Browning, Tomko) in the last 22 years (one every eleven years).

I almost mentioned that. Except that your reason is true and mine are mostly made up or half true.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Your reason is true and mine are mostly made up or half true.
    whoops...i guess i missed the point.....

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    7. Adam Dunn thought "hitting the other way" was silly and offensive.
    Hi. Adam? Ted Williams here. I'd like my M.O. back. K? Thanks.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Hi. Adam? Ted Williams here. I'd like my M.O. back. K? Thanks.
    That's funny. Good stuff. I was just talking to a guy the other day that thought Tony Gwynn was the best hitter "ever". Certainly Tony was a GREAT hitter but he was not Ted Williams. Ted hit .400 and only used half of the ball field. Most of the guys who try that today hit .230-.250 if they are lucky with exceptions to Ortiz, Giambi, Dunn, Griff and Thome. At least these guys hit balls out of the ballpark to left center from time to time.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Because Marge did one heck of a job dismantling and destroying what she felt was over-rated and unnecessary - the farm system and scouting. And when they finally woke up and saw it's importance, those in charge had no idea how to rebuild it.

The blind leading the blind.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    Then i think we due in about two years because Tomkos debut was in 1997 so hopefully Homer Bailey can get the torch.
    I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Turn Off Ads?