Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I met Ken Griffey Jr today

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I met Ken Griffey Jr today

Despite the fact that I thought my heart was going to explode through my chest while meeting a guy who has been my favorite player since I was 6 years old (22 now), I just wanted to let some of the naysayers know, Griffey was walking around just fine, no limp no nothing. He was very upbeat about things, joking around and having a good time with the receptionists at Kremcheks office. So for those thinking Griffey was seriously injured, I dont buy it. He walked around fine, and when he left he carried a large bag of stuff out to his own car by himself. If he were that bad off, he wouldnt be carrying anything by himself.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I met Ken Griffey Jr today

If he's not that bad off, why isn't he playing?

Probably because he is at around 90% and they want him to be completely healthy so he doesnt favor one leg or something and end up hurting it. Especially with it being wet and cold in Colorado, it doesnt make much sense to take the chance.

So, doug, did you get to have a conversation with him? If so, was he cool?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM

They are working on a trade... They are going to send 2 players from our 25 man roster to that team and we'll get back 1 player, and bring JR back from the DL.

Least thats what i'm Hoping... Freel, Kearns, and LaRue could be getting shipped out soon.

(least thats what i'm hoping)
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    Why rush it while the team is winning? Well except for last night.

If he is not 100% and he starts favoring the sore knee then he's just going to mess up that hammy again.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon
    So, doug, did you get to have a conversation with him? If so, was he cool?
    No, not really a conversation, more of two lines back and forth to eachother. I pretty much just told him thanks for everything he has done and he said thanks he appreciates it and told me to get my knee healthy, so I told him I am working on it and he should be his healthy too and he smiled and said thanks. It was not anything big or major, but it really did make my day, week, month and year.

He was very cool though with everyone around. He wrote on a peice of paper "Happy Birthday Jake" for one of the receptionists and held it up and she took a picture of it, and a little kid who was like 9 came up and asked for his autograph and he asked the kid his name, shook his hand, asked how he was....real nice guy.

Thanks for sharing dougdirt, I really do enjoy Griffey in a Reds uniform and I know lately I have been ranting about getting him out of CF, but it does not change the respect and admiration I have for the guy.

Originally posted by DougDirt Despite the fact that I thought my heart was going to explode through my chest while meeting a guy who has been my favorite player since I was 6 years old
    That's awesome Doug. I am glad you got to meet him and speak to him w/o being around a ball diamond. I think that always makes for a cooler meeting. I always wished when I was younger that I could meet Eric Davis or Barry Larkin. I met Barry at a card show but didn't really do anything more than get an autograph and say hi. It was a madhouse.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

No way they were going to play him with this crappy weather anyways.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

He's an incredibly nice guy. Weird how his reputation got trashed for a few years.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    He's an incredibly nice guy. Weird how his reputation got trashed for a few years.
    That's why there's a world of difference between reputation and character.
    PDM

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Why rush it while the team is winning? Well except for last night.

If he is not 100% and he starts favoring the sore knee then he's just going to mess up that hammy again.
    I agree. Keep preachin' it sweetheart. Maybe they'll listen to you. They won't me.

Playing him when they don't need to, and while the situation is minor (yet still not 100%), could lead to something more serious and aggravating.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I've met a few players at ballparks and at autograph shows as a kid - and a few outside of the game in everyday settings (restaurants, golf courses etc). Without a doubt, outside of "work" these guys seem much more relaxed and willing to strike up a conversation with any stranger.

Congrats on getting to meet Junior. It's always reassuring when people you look up to turn out to be good people in real life.

I like Griffey. The first-hand encounters always I hear about with him are pretty much 100% positive ones.

I've heard the exact opposite of a lot of guys.

GOREDSGO32

Junior is definately one of the nice guys in sports .. he's the anti-Bonds. It sucks he's had to go through so many fluke injuries, I'm still hoping he can have a late career renaissance like Bonds and become great again.

Turn Off Ads?