Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Harang: Power Pitcher...

Aaron Harang: Power Pitcher...

...VR pointed this out in the game thread last night in reference to the NL, but, actually, it applies to both leagues:

at this frozen moment in time, before everyone takes their next turns to the mound, Harang leads MLB in strikeouts with 45.

The list:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/...eSubFrame=2006

It's a long way from here to there, but Harang's start, building off of what was a quietly very VERY good 2005, raises hopes for 220 innings and 200 or Ks from him. And it has been quite awhile since the Reds have had that kind of potential production at the front of the rotation, I think.

At any rate, just wanted to drop a note about the ace of this staff. He's good, and getting better...

Edited to add:

Oh yeah, only 11 BBs. That would be a 4:1 K:BB ration. And a 1.22 whip. You get on with your bad self, Harang.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-05-2006 at 07:54 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aaron Harang: Power Pitcher...

To point it out thou.

The Likes of Pedro, Capuano, and Schilling they are only on their 6th game where Mr. Harrang is on his 7th game started.

I still love the nearly 50 K's thou.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203
    To point it out thou.

The Likes of Pedro, Capuano, and Schilling they are only on their 6th game where Mr. Harrang is on his 7th game started.

I still love the nearly 50 K's thou.
    Yes, that's why I mentioned "this frozen moment in time" and "before everyone takes their next trips to the mound". He's clearly not going to lead the league in strikeouts, and I am not saying he will. What I AM saying is that he is making a personal leap to being more of a power pitcher, and I welcome it. Very much.

The main point of this all is. I would love to have 3 more Harangs to throw out there than Dave Williams or actually any of our others starters excluding Bronson..
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems.. ~Homer J Simpson~

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo17
    The main point of this all is. I would love to have 3 more Harangs to throw out there than Dave Williams or actually any of our others starters excluding Bronson..
    Who wouldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo17
    '

I don't think Claussen is trash, and that he will be solid. We need two.

My Lord, why aren't more people talking about Tom Glavine? 1.94 ERA after 46 innings pitched? Wow.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Anyone else notice that Harang has been good for a couple years now but just now seems to be getting love from the media because a former Red Sox is also in his rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    Anyone else notice that Harang has been good for a couple years now but just now seems to be getting love from the media because a former Red Sox is also in his rotation.
    I don't think that's totally fair. Arroyo has been extraordinary so far this season, and beyond that, has far exceeded a lot of people's expectations of him. Couple that with the fact that he was part of a recent trade that has, thus far, played out pretty one-sidedly. I think that's where the attention is coming from.

edit: I kind of misunderstood your post -- that's an explanation of why arroyo himself is getting attention. As far as Harang, I think his factor is up this year because so far he's part of a better team. People did know he was good before, but there's wasn't much reason to give him lip service as the Reds weren't really a factor.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    As Harang stated in an Reds.com article, he and Bronson are feeding off each other...trying to one-up the other...competition is GOOD

Here's the article...

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

I'm shocked at Glavine too. Both his ERA and K's. I really thought he was done, I guess not.

But, WOW about Harrang. If he just wouldn't hang that pitch or 2 that he does every game.

Can he be stopped?

In the game thread, someone was comparing Harang's slider to Smoltz's. I can live with that. Filthy!

I wouldn't call Harang a power pitcher he does not have any over powering stuff, but what he does have is the fundamentals which I think are more important. He shows a lot of control, poise and stamina while on the mound. Also you have to give credit to the catchers calling the games and framing the pitches. I believe you can't have a good pitcher without a good catcher. Lets hope Harang can keep this up through the season.

See, now, I was curious when someone would dis his stuff. He runs it up there between 90 and 93, with a wicked slider. I think that stuff actually is overpowering, and there was some physical evidence of that last night when he shattered three bats with heavy pitches in on the hands.

It will be interesting to see how Harang tracks this season. He looked very good last night. Lots of K's and broken bats.

He did have the added advantage of a big strike zone from home plate ump Riley which helped the K rate. But the broken bats were no fluke. He was throwing nasty stuff.

Like I mentioned in the game thread, this was a Harang I haven't seen before.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?