Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds really need to sign Harang long term...

Reds really need to sign Harang long term...

"It seems like every time he goes out there he gets better and better and better," said Adam Dunn. "Just talking to other people on other teams that are facing him, he's not a comfortable at-bat, when you've got 6-(feet)-7 or whatever he is coming at you. And he knows how to pitch. He's going to be good for a long time."

Harang is very good right now, and he will get better. With Arroyo already in the fold through 2008, the Reds would be in great shape if they could seal a deal with Harang for several more years.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds really need to sign Harang long term...

I would agree with that. He seemed decent last year. This year so far he seems really good and he'll be 28 next year, so he still has room to grow as a pitcher.

Hopefully new ownership will turn around the old tradition of not signing good players long term. He turns 27 on Tuesday. I'd love to see him in a Reds' uni for another 5 or 6 years. How much do you think he'd be asking for? And when does his current contract end?
    Here's to another record-breaking season from Adam Dunn ...another 40 homeruns (all coming with nothing on the line) and 200 Ks! We Want King Jay!!

Can he be stopped?

I'd really like to know when his current contract is up. If we can avoid arbitration with Aaron and lock him up for the next few years, then that would be huge for the team. I would have been willing to do this after his performance last year, and he seems to get better every year. If we can keep him and Bronson as our 1 and 2 guys, we have a very good front of the roatation. I think Harang has the ability to be a #1 starter in this league, and I can't wait to see what he can continue to do this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    I'd really like to know when his current contract is up. If we can avoid arbitration with Aaron and lock him up for the next few years, then that would be huge for the team. I would have been willing to do this after his performance last year, and he seems to get better every year. If we can keep him and Bronson as our 1 and 2 guys, we have a very good front of the roatation. I think Harang has the ability to be a #1 starter in this league, and I can't wait to see what he can continue to do this season.
    He's on a 1 year deal right now.

Aaron Harang p
    1 year/$2.35M (2006)

re-signed 1/06 (avoided arbitration)

1 year/$0.44M (2005)

1 year/$0.36M (2004)
    ML service: 3.061

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    He's currently working on a one-year deal, though the Reds hold his rights until after the 2008 season.

I don't know that I'd put him in the #1 category. I suppose he could imitate one in a career year, but he's probably going to be a dependable #3 guy (200+ IP, sub-4.00 ERA) for a few years. Arroyo fits into the same mold. For a small market team like the Reds, a trio of #3 guys to go with a good offense, a solid bullpen and a capable defense could be just the ticket for a regular run at the postseason.

Anyway, like Spitball, I'd love to see the team hammer out a three-year extension with Harang.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I agree as well. After a little bit of a bumpy start, his last 3 have been just magnificent examples of what can happen when you couple a tick above average fastball and slider with the ability to consistently locate to the target.

Let's talk dollars. If you give him 3 years, I'd be guessing it would be in the $12-15M range to get it done. With the steady improvement and an unexpected higher ceiling (meaning I think he has exceeded expectations each season he's been here), I see that as a reasonable offer.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I thought they tried to talk multi-year deal with him this offseason and him and his agent declined saying they wanted to wait and see where things were after this season.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Let's talk dollars. If you give him 3 years, I'd be guessing it would be in the $12-15M range to get it done. With the steady improvement and an unexpected higher ceiling (meaning I think he has exceeded expectations each season he's been here), I see that as a reasonable offer.
    I would do that deal for Harang without a doubt. Hopefully something like that can happen.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I suppose he could imitate one in a career year, but he's probably going to be a dependable #3 guy (200+ IP, sub-4.00 ERA) for a few years.
    Last year, Harang's 200+ inning and sub 4 ERA placed him 41st among starters (in terms of ERA). With 30 teams in the major leagues, I'd suggest that would place Harang as a dependable #2 starter, especially considering that Harang pitched at GABP and in front of Cincy's horrid defense. His stats last year closely resemble Mark Mulder, who's often considered a viable #2 starter type.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    I would do that deal for Harang without a doubt. Hopefully something like that can happen.
    As I continue to think about that range, with $2.35 getting it done this year, that about 3.75/5/6.25 with a couple million signing bonus to give him some up front money might make a good deal for both parties. Add some incentives if he goes all nuts and performs like an ace so that he gets paid like one.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I assume Krivsky had something to do with the LTCs Radke and Santana got in Minnesota. I'm optimistic he'll lock up Harang at some point. Would be a great move.

It would be nice to get him signed to a hometown (Arroyo type) contract before he starts to attract too much attention.

I love his Livan Hernandez-type inning eating capabilities...though, I hope he doesn't break down.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor

Yep, exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf the Red
    Re: 4/23/06 - Reds vs. Brewers Game Thread

Harang spryly throws out the runner.

(Again sending mental telepathy to Krivsky: 3 years, $14 million. Get it done, Wayne.)
    I'd actually prefer that Krivsky prioritize something like this right now, and worry about trading for another starter in June or July depending on how things are going. (I just think that the trade cost for a starter that'll actually help might be higher now than it would be in, say, late June--too many teams are still in the race and not wanting to deal pitching just yet.)

In the meantime, if Harang puts together a couple more months at his current pace, the opportunity to sign him to this kind of a three-year deal may pass us by...

Wonder if he is looking to get out of GAB when he can...............I wouldn't mind signing him to a 3 year deal.....but I wouldn't give any pitcher more than 3 years.....are we going to have to overpay to keep our own pitcher's happy in GAB........

Turn Off Ads?