Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds really need to sign Harang long term...

Re: Reds really need to sign Harang long term...

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    Wonder if he is looking to get out of GAB when he can...............I wouldn't mind signing him to a 3 year deal.....but I wouldn't give any pitcher more than 3 years.....are we going to have to overpay to keep our own pitcher's happy in GAB........
    You are going waaaaaaaay overboard with your mindset that Great American Ballpark is an extreme hitter's park. The GAB is a good home run ballpark and that's it. It plays neutral on anything else. Tall grass in the infield and small gaps take away singles and doubles.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Watching the Reds play well is too much fun at the moment to focus on a LT deal for Harang. If it needs to happen it can certainly get done in the off season.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    I assume Krivsky had something to do with the LTCs Radke and Santana got in Minnesota. I'm optimistic he'll lock up Harang at some point. Would be a great move.

How's that one workin out for the Twins? Let's not forget about that gem they gave Joe Mays...

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Watching the Reds play well is too much fun at the moment to focus on a LT deal for Harang. If it needs to happen it can certainly get done in the off season.
    Hopefully that policy went out the door with O'Brien or is sitting on John Allen's list of canned ideas that came with his "reassignment." Anytime is a good time to make an offer to one of your key players and keep him affordable while rewarding his success. Although I do see some merit for some contract negotiations not going on during the season (like when the sides are far apart so it is not a distraction).
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    How's that one workin out for the Twins? Let's not forget about that gem they gave Joe Mays...
    I notice you didn't bold Santana.

I was thinking about a Harang extention last night also. I think whoever suggested 3 yr/ 12-15 mil is low. I think with Aaron putting up a very good last year and a half he's over 5 mil. range. I'd sign him 4 years/24 mil. and be extremely excited about it. That would give us to quality pitchers for the next 2-3 years with Homer coming through the minors. Add another quality starter and we could be scary in '08. Of course we may be good enough to make the playoffs now.

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken
    I was thinking about a Harang extention last night also. I think whoever suggested 3 yr/ 12-15 mil is low. I think with Aaron putting up a very good last year and a half he's over 5 mil. range. I'd sign him 4 years/24 mil. and be extremely excited about it. That would give us to quality pitchers for the next 2-3 years with Homer coming through the minors. Add another quality starter and we could be scary in '08. Of course we may be good enough to make the playoffs now.
    Maybe. The average per year is only a million different, but I'm a little leery about the four years. Of course, it's more or less Monopoly money as far as those of us on this board are concerned, so sure, what the heck

Of course this depends in large part on how risk-averse Harang is. He could blow out his arm tomorrow. Or his numbers could take a dive. In which case a guaranteed 15 million might seem like a lot.

3 years at around 15 seems fair to me at this point--but that's just what I've been saying the past few weeks--if you wait two more months and he's racked up more than a dozen wins at the All-Star Break...then yeah, the Reds are going to have to cough up more... and obviously a long-term deal at that point becomes more of an economic burden if things go south next year or the year after.

Anyway, bottom line is I'd prioritize locking him up. And I think we ought to do it soon so the price is closer to Arroyo's than Milton's. This organization needs to start demonstrating some forward thinking--especially with pitchers who are A) starters and B) have actually demonstrated success at GAB...
    Last edited by Gandalf the Red; 05-05-2006 at 06:20 PM.

I agree with Gandalf on the fourth year. Perhaps it could be a mutual option of $7-8M for a carrot, with a $500K buyout or something like that. I would try to avoid it though since he'd be pushing 32.

Quote Originally Posted by M2

I don't know that I'd put him in the #1 category. I suppose he could imitate one in a career year, but he's probably going to be a dependable #3 guy (200+ IP, sub-4.00 ERA) for a few years. Arroyo fits into the same mold. For a small market team like the Reds, a trio of #3 guys to go with a good offense, a solid bullpen and a capable defense could be just the ticket for a regular run at the postseason.
    Worked for the '75-'76 Reds
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    I thought they tried to talk multi-year deal with him this offseason and him and his agent declined saying they wanted to wait and see where things were after this season.
    That's why we need to sign him now on the "come" ( craps lingo).
    If the Reds keep winning, the money will be their with increased attendance this summer and selling Reds merchandise. Sign him now, before it's to late. Take the chance that he is "for real" and do the deed. 5 million dollar signing bonus, 3 year deal, 18 million, plus incentives for 16 wins, 20 wins, etc.

This is assuming that he want's to stay in Cincinnati. He is a California boy, he might want to pitch for L.A. or S.F. Both teams have the $$$$ If that is the case, we have no chance. He is from San Diego, I doubt they have the $$$.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Last year, Harang's 200+ inning and sub 4 ERA placed him 41st among starters (in terms of ERA). With 30 teams in the major leagues, I'd suggest that would place Harang as a dependable #2 starter, especially considering that Harang pitched at GABP and in front of Cincy's horrid defense. His stats last year closely resemble Mark Mulder, who's often considered a viable #2 starter type.
    I don't like dividing it up that way. I'm kind of Platonian when it comes to define pitcher quality. There's a universal model for what 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 starters are. A guy who throws 200+ IP with an ERA in the high 3.00s is a #3 starter. A lot of teams don't have a single starter that good (e.g. the Kansas City Royals and the 2003-2004 Reds).

So if you divide by 30 you skew the sample toward bad pitchers. IMO, if you want to create a winning baseball model then you need to think in terms of absolutes and not relatives. There's probably only a dozen #1 guys and 20 #2 guys in all of baseball.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It takes two to tango on a deal like this. If Harang's agent is determined not to come to the bargaining table until after the season, it won't matter how many times the Reds ask him to do so.

As far as the Reds are concerned, Harang is a canidate to be a number one. So is Arroyo. At the same time they are not among the 12 or so #1 pitchers out there that M2 talks about.

I agree that the Reds best chance is to find another guy like Harang/Arroyo and then put a good offense behind them. Call them 1, 2 and 3 or 3a, 3b and 3c. Either way, the Reds potentially could compete on a semi-regular basis with 3 guys like that. Especially with some bullpen help and an above average defense.

I too would like to see Harang locked up. To me he doesn't seem like a guy prone to breakdown. He looks to have a pretty easy motion. I don't sit and chart the guys pitches but he gun rarely seems to go as high as you know he COULD throw, if he wanted to. IMO, that is why JN is able to leave him in to throw 111 or 115 pitches.

I think now would be a great time to try to sign him to an Arroyo type deal. Aaron seems like a guy on the upswing. And he knows how to pitch. The Reds need to keep guys like this around.

As far as Bronson goes, how long do the Reds hold his rights? I know he signed a 3 year deal with Boston but does the trade give him an out, earlier than the 3 years or is he here for the duration?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    It takes two to tango on a deal like this. If Harang's agent is determined not to come to the bargaining table until after the season, it won't matter how many times the Reds ask him to do so.
    Reason #1 why I think he may bolt as soon as he can...........Harang calls the shots......

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    True, but in the wake of the Dunn contract I think we've all learned a valuable lesson in how a player who supposedly doesn't want to negotiate can get signed by a determined executive. I tend to think most every player will ink a contract if you approach him right.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?