Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Is The Arroyo Trade Lookin' Now?

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

How Is The Arroyo Trade Lookin' Now?

I know a lot of people on this board wanted Matt Clement instead of Arroyo. So, I decided to do a little research to see how each pitcher is doing. The stats are below:

Year Team G GS W L SV IP H R ER BB K CG SHO ERA WHIP
    Clement: 2006 BOS 6 6 3 2 0 35.1 39 23 21 19 25 0 0 5.35 1.64
    Arroyo: 2006 CIN 6 6 5 0 0 43.2 29 12 10 10 34 1 0 2.06 0.89

I know it's early and Clement pitches in a tougher division, but if the trend continues (even when Arroyo comes down to earth), I think Arroyo will be the better trade (who would've thunk it?).

Let me know what you think...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Not Laughing

Re: How Is The Arroyo Trade Lookin' Now?

Quote Originally Posted by shredda2000

I know it's early and Clement pitches in a tougher division
    I don't think there is a tougher division right now than the NL Central. Arroyo has pitched 4 of his 6 starts against Chicago & St. Louis. Those numbers speak volumes. The Reds got the better pitcher (who, lucky for us, was cheaper anyway).
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

While he hasn't exactly gotten a ton of playing time, Wily Mo has put up a .322/.369/.559

I'm definitely pleased with what Arroyo has done, but Wily Mo is doing exactly what you'd expect from him in Boston -- great power, shaky defense.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    I don't think there is a tougher division right now than the NL Central. Arroyo has pitched 4 of his 6 starts against Chicago & St. Louis. Those numbers speak volumes. The Reds got the better pitcher (who, lucky for us, was cheaper anyway).
    Thank you. I was just going to add this. I believe the NL Central may well be the best division in baseball.

Decent.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Thank you. I was just going to add this. I believe the NL Central may well be the best division in baseball.
    Some of the teams in the Central are playing like it is now..... but we'll see as the season progresses. I think they are gonna be some tough races in the other divisions, such as the AL East and West.

And I'd have taken two top pitching prospects for Pena. He was expendable IMO.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    And I'd have taken two top pitching prospects for Pena. He was expendable IMO.
    I'd swap an outfielder for good pitching any ol' day. I don't care if he turns into the next Sammy Sosa. How many World Series did the first Sammy Sosa play in? Pitching wins pennants, slugging outfielders drain the bank account.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

The best news I saw recently was an interview with Arroyo last night where he said he's loving Cincinnati because of how laid back it is there as opposed to Boston. I love it!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Man Pills

I imagine Arroyo can enjoy a few Strutter: A Tribute to Kiss shows at Annie's. And certainly catch Gwar at Bogart's. Borrow a few Chastain cassette tapes from locals.

Looks good...at this time.
    Go Gators!

I love jumping to conclusions a month into the season.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Clement has always been overrated. Under league ERA twice in like eight years. His inconsistency is another major factor in staying away from a pitcher like him.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I love jumping to conclusions a month into the season.
    As if those of us who thought the trade was a good one from the beginning wouldn't be hearing it if Arroyo had started off 0-5 with a 6.50 ERA. To answer the question, the trade looks as good to me now as it did when we made it. I loved it then, and I love it now.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I'm going to say that I like the trade... without a disclaimer about how it's only May, how he's gotten lucky, blah, blah, blah...

I liked the trade from the first day. Of course, given Arroyo's amazing start, I'm LOVING it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Looks good...at this time.
    Has the potential to be the best kind of trade: both teams deal something surplus to requirements, get something they need, and play better baseball as a result.

Turn Off Ads?