Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Official 'Name my dog' thread.

The Official 'Name my dog' thread.

Ok gang, just got a new 4 month old female black lab and can't think of a name for the little gal. Anyone have any suggestions?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Official 'Name my dog' thread.

My grandparents back in the mid 1960's, when they lived in the country, had an old hound dog named "Boy". Yes, "Boy". Boy has been gone for a long time, so I am sure that name is open.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

The wife didn't go for that one, but thanks

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sally

(what I named a black lab as a kid)
    Go Gators!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I vote for Myrna.
    Stick to your guns.

Blackie O
    School's out. What did you expect?

Chica

It is the feminine form of Chico, the name of my black lab I had for 12 years until he died from leukemia a year and a half ago. He was the best dog I ever had, very much a part of the family. We all still miss him.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-s-...dog/page1.aspx

Section: Naming Your Dog

A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches.
    Book of Proverbs

Some people believe that names can affect the way people behave and how they feel about themselves. Puritans believed this and gave their children names like Felicity and Obedience in hope that the children would live up to their names. But could the same thing be true of dogs? Would you feel as comfortable petting a dog named Killer or Psycho as you would petting Waggles or Molly? Choosing the name for your dog is an important decision, but along with showing off your originality, perhaps you should try to capture the essence of your dog, too.

In the past we tended to name our dogs based on some physical or personality trait, like Spot or Rover. However, today we think of dogs as real family members, and the latest trend is to give dogs human names, names that we would give our children. According to the ASPCA’s official list of top 30 pet names, the two most popular names are Max, Maxie, Maxwell or Maxine, which means “the greatest” in Latin, and Sam, Sammie or Samantha, which means “listener.” Scanning the list you will also find Buddy, Ginger, Jake, Maggie and Charlie, a list not unlike a grade school attendance roster.

But not every dog is given a human name. The list also contains some tried-and-true oldies that are still popular, like Lady, Buster, Patches and Pepper. And these names give you an idea of the dog, either his personality or appearance.

Dog names arise from many popular categories. For example, movies and television have inspired such names as Beethoven, Radar, Scully, and Rocky, while the arts have given us Beowulf, Bronte, Plato, Elvis and Mozart. Chanel and Calvin materialized from the fashion world, and geographically speaking, Dakota, Sydney and Paris are also on the map.

But let’s not forget about the dog’s personality. Names that reflect the very nature of your pet may be the way to go. After all, we probably have a pretty good picture of a dog that’s called Mayhem, Frisky, Adipose, Morpheus or Couch Potato.

How do you go about naming your dog? You might want to observe your new pet for a few days and see if the personality suggests a name. But, for a start, keep the following tips in mind:

The general sound and rhythm of the name is important. You will say it and your dog will hear it over and over again. If the name is too long or too difficult to say, your pup will become confused or lose interest by the time you get to the fourth syllable.

Choose a name that your pet will easily recognize. Some experts say the ideal name is two syllables ending with a vowel sound, like Sami or Lassie.

Avoid names that sound too much like standard commands. For example, when you call Snowy or Joe, your dog might only hear “No.”

Pick a name that will be just as appropriate once your pet is full-grown. A pup named Damage or Havoc may eventually grow up to be a quiet, stately dog.

Pick a name that you will be proud to call. Shadow or Molly might be less embarrassing than Ooga Booga or HeyYou.

Once you have named your dog, be sure to use it often so he will learn it quickly. But remember, you want your dog to like his name. Try to use it only when you are playing with him, petting him, hugging him or trying to get his attention. Don’t use it when you are angry or reprimanding him. If you raise your voice every time you use his name, he won’t come when you call.

Dr. John Wilson, a veterinarian in Ireland believes that naming a dog is serious business. It’s a major family decision to find the correct name. Wilson says, “Creativity, aptness, sensitivity, nastiness and, in some cases, a sense of humor can be involved in naming the pet."

Then he adds, “Picking the name is an art form.”
    Top 30 Male Dog Names

1. MAX
    2. BUDDY
    3. JAKE
    4. ROCKY
    5. BAILEY
    6. BUSTER
    7. CODY
    8. CHARLIE
    9. BEAR
    10. JACK
    11. TOBY
    12. DUKE
    13. LUCKY
    14. SAM
    15. HARLEY
    16. SHADOW
    17. RUSTY
    18. MURPHY
    19. SAMMY
    20. ZEUS
    21. RILEY
    22. OSCAR
    23. WINSTON
    24. CASEY
    25. TUCKER
    26. TEDDY
    27. GIZMO
    28. SAMSON
    29. OLIVER
    30. BANDIT

Top 30 Female Dog Names

1. MOLLY
    2. MAGGIE
    3. DAISY
    4. LUCY
    5. SADIE
    6. GINGER
    7. CHLOE
    8. BAILEY
    9. SOPHIE
    10. ZOE
    11. PRINCESS
    12. BELLA
    13. ANGEL
    14. LADY
    15. SASHA
    16. ABBY
    17. ROXY
    18. MISSY
    19. BRANDY
    20. COCO
    21. ANNIE
    22. KATIE
    23. SAMANTHA
    24. CASEY
    25. GRACIE
    26. ROSIE
    27. MISTY
    28. EMMA
    29. SANDY
    30. HEIDI

Josephine?

Rem

i like mcclain's "pepper"

how about ebony...gives her some street cred

snowball
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Pick a name that you will be proud to call. Shadow or Molly might be less embarrassing than Ooga Booga or HeyYou.
    That's time-tested advice right there. Make sure the name is something you won't be ashamed to holler at the top of your lungs, in front of your neighbors, if the little dear gets loose and takes off down the street.

Come to think of it, the same advice should apply to naming kids.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Nelly
    Roxie
    Larkin

Klu
    Nuxie
    Sparky

Someday I will have three dogs and there names will be Willie, Micky and Duke.

Casey

Turn Off Ads?