Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously, what doesn't Wal-Mart have?

Seriously, what doesn't Wal-Mart have?

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/n...nquirer_nation

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT - news) will start selling build-your-own-computer components in more than one-third of its U.S. discount stores this month as it looks for ways to tempt shoppers to buy more than just low-margin food.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    [-105216]

Wal-Mart currently offers only prepackaged bundles of personal computers and accessories in most of its stores. With the build-your-own-computer counters, shoppers can choose between several different components.

Such components include central processing units -- the brain of the computer that powers its basic functions -- as well as monitors, keyboards and mice that customers can combine to create customized packages they can load in a shopping cart and take home right away.

The retailer began testing build-your-own computer counters in about 20 locations last year, and is now introducing them in 1,200 of its 3,200 U.S. discount stores, spokeswoman Jolanda Stewart told Reuters.

It expects to offer the merchandise in some 1,400 stores by the end of the year, and possibly more in 2007.

Wal-Mart's entry into a category can raise alarms because the retailer's persistent price-cutting pressures competitors' profit margins. It has been blamed for bankruptcies in sectors ranging from groceries and toys.

But analysts said it was unlikely that Wal-Mart would pose much of a threat to the likes of Dell Inc. (NasdaqELL - news), which mastered the made-to-order computer model and offers a much wider selection. They also noted that Dell makes most of its money selling computers to businesses rather than individuals.

Wal-Mart, the world's biggest retailer, is the No. 1 seller of products ranging from dog food to diamonds, but it has not managed to gain as much market share in computers. Wal-Mart made a big splash last November when it sold laptop computers for $398 on the day after Thanksgiving, however.

Forrester Research analyst Ted Schadler, who follows the consumer technology sector, said Wal-Mart has the potential to become a key destination for computer shoppers.

"People buy on price," he said. "If Wal-Mart is competitive on price -- which of course it will be -- it's easy for Wal-Mart to be a destination."

Wal-Mart has been adding more upscale merchandise such as flat-panel televisions and fashionable clothing in the hope of getting customers to buy more than just food and commodity items, which carry low profit margins.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Seriously, what doesn't Wal-Mart have?

The concern for the American laborer.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

In a hundred years people will refer to being ruined as "getting Wal Marted".

And the next person I hear saying they are shopping at "Wal Marts" is going to need some dental work.

GL

i'll take target anytime over walmart...i hate that place...even dumped my sam's membership about 3 years ago for one from costco...damn, i love costco

Me as a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    In a hundred years people will refer to being ruined as "getting Wal Marted".

And the next person I hear saying they are shopping at "Wal Marts" is going to need some dental work.

GL
    If you hear someone refer to it as Wal-mark pleas give them the same for me

I've built quite a few computers and know what companies parts to avoid, I'm thinking those are the companies wally world will be offering
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I've built quite a few computers and know what companies parts to avoid, I'm thinking those are the companies wally world will be offering
    And probably the company I used to work for. When I left there way back in 2000, they had started laying the ground work for this. I look forward to seeing the names Tiger Direct, PowerUp PC, Global, Midwest Micro, Systemax or whatever name they may be using now on products inside Wal-Mart in the near future.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

WE spend about $200/weekly at SuperWalmart. They offer the best variety/prices/deals compared to anyone around us locally. We live in a small-to-mid sized town.

I'm suppose to boycott them and pay higher prices when the other stores are not doing any better by their employees?

That's not gonna happen.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-06-2006 at 05:55 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago
    i'll take target anytime over walmart...i hate that place...even dumped my sam's membership about 3 years ago for one from costco...damn, i love costco
    Why Target over Wal-Mart (we don't have Costco where I live)? Target and Wal-Mart appear to me to sell the same stuff, only Target's goods usually cost just a little more, and Target's customer service is worse than Wal-Mart. I'm not a Wal-Mart booster, but I have heard other people damn Wal-Mart and praise Target, and I have never understood why, unless it is some sort of Hertz and Avis type of thing.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Why Target over Wal-Mart (we don't have Costco where I live)? Target and Wal-Mart appear to me to sell the same stuff, only Target's goods usually cost just a little more, and Target's customer service is worse than Wal-Mart. I'm not a Wal-Mart booster, but I have heard other people damn Wal-Mart and praise Target, and I have never understood why, unless it is some sort of Hertz and Avis type of thing.
    Target is usually a cleaner store. The products are higher than Wal-Mart, but they are supposedly better.

If I need groceries, I generally shop across the river at Giant Eagle. They have a better grocery selection than Wal-Mart. It is more expensive, but some of the stuff you find there you won't find anywhere else. Plus you save money on gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Target has a smaller selection and I think a higher quality selection. It doesn't have the feel of a discount store.

For example, I found some great toys there at Christmas that the other stores didn't have. They had a large science and National Geographic toy area.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    some say the quality is better, but i really only buy snack foods and cleaning supplies there...in my neighborhood, the stores are definately cleaner and waaayyy less crowded. i just don't feel like waiting in line for an hour at walmart...i give them credit, they are always packed, whereas target is not...that's my number 1 reason for going to target...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Me as a customer.

this really made me laugh this morning...priceless

Clean restrooms?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Turn Off Ads?