Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion on Phillips?

What's your opinion on Phillips?

What's everyone's opinion on Phillips. I like the guy, he plays hard but I think we gave him a starting job prematurely. Yes he had an awesome April but the guy has had almost no success in the majors prior to then. His .269 May OPS just warrants an . I could see him blossoming into an Easley type (back when he was actually good in like 1997-1999), but I could also see him being a light hitting bench player. When Griffey returns does he deserve the starting job at 2B or does Freel? I personally think Freel and Phillips are solid players but both play best if they only start about 2/3 of the time.... Freel getting about 1/3 of the time at 2B and another 1/3 of the time filling in for EE and Griffey.

What do others think about him though? His average is now below .300.... it was at almost .370 not too long ago. How bad do you think it will have to get until Donofia gets more time from Freel in CF and Freel takes over 2B?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillips

He wasn't brought here to hit.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

What's everyone's opinion on Phillips. I like the guy, he plays hard but I think we gave him a starting job prematurely. Yes he had an awesome April but the guy has had almost no success in the majors prior to then. His .269 May OPS just warrants an . I could see him blossoming into an Easley type (back when he was actually good in like 1997-1999), but I could also see him being a light hitting bench player. When Griffey returns does he deserve the starting job at 2B or does Freel? I personally think Freel and Phillips are solid players but both play best if they only start about 2/3 of the time.... Freel getting about 1/3 of the time at 2B and another 1/3 of the time filling in for EE and Griffey.

What do others think about him though? His average is now below .300.... it was at almost .370 not too long ago. How bad do you think it will have to get until Donofia gets more time from Freel in CF and Freel takes over 2B?
    But hit he has, and he has continued to swing the bat well but has had a streak of bad luck hitting lasers right at people over the last week or so. Frankly I like him at the plate also. He has a quick bat, doesn't swing at a ton of bad pitches, makes good contact most all the time and hits with some degree of power to all fields. The only thing I don't like about his game is that he seems to have a bit of an upper-cut swing. But hey as long as he's hitting the ball well I am fine with him. Also his defense is top shelf as is his baserunning so far. He seems to have the good instincts as well, so I like him quite a bit.

He needs to be the starter at 2B until he pushes himself out of the order. Freel is going to have to get scraps again, especially since he can't seem to hit a ball on the ground lately.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 05-06-2006 at 11:55 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Young kid, great upside, who, at age 21, was rushed badly by the Indians.

He improves our defense up the middle, and that in itself is a HUGE plus.

And a .269 OPS over 5 days tells us nothing.

Players slump. And they also face good pitchers.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

The Kid has a HUGE upside and most importantly he can pick it and thats what is needed most at 2b.

Narron might have a solution in Phillips for the long haul if he would be a bit flexible. He could move the all-star powerful armed shortstop to third, move Phillips back to short which should improve the range and coverage on the left side, move the slick fielding EE with occasional throwing errors to first, taking care of the throwing errors and weak hitting first base, and put Olmedo at second and Narron might have solved his defensive woes that could help the picthing a great deal. Won't happen though as they would not move Dunn to first, they surely won't do something radical and exotic like the above.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    Narron might have a solution in Phillips for the long haul if he would be a bit flexible. He could move the all-star powerful armed shortstop to third, move Phillips back to short which should improve the range and coverage on the left side, move the slick fielding EE with occasional throwing errors to first, taking care of the throwing errors and weak hitting first base, and put Olmedo at second and Narron might have solved his defensive woes that could help the picthing a great deal. Won't happen though as they would not move Dunn to first, they surely won't do something radical and exotic like the above.
    I think it would be a huge mistake to give up on EE at third base this early. It woudl be a waste of athleticism and potential IMO. Plus he's really not as tall as you'd like a first baseman to be.

As for putting Olmedo at 2B I couldn't disagree more. Not only can I not envision a scenario in which he will hit well enough to be an everyday player, I really don't think he's all that great in the field. Slim chance that it is, I still think Bergolla has a better chance of making it to the majors as an everyday player than Olmedo.

I do agree that in the long run Phillips should probably be moved to SS, but I think I'd wait until next season to do that, waiting first to see how Phillips plays over the entire season. If Phillips is moved to SS, then Lopez woudl slide to 2B.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Phillips is just getting pretty unlucky right now.
    In April his BABIP was .372. You dont expect it to stay that high all season.
    In May his BABIP is .118. That is EXTREMELY low and you cant expect it to stay that low for the month either.
    So while in April his BABIP seemed a tad high, it was not overly out of line with what could be maintained for a season. However in May, his BABIP is so low that there is pretty much no way someone will maintain it for an entire month, much less a year. With such a small sample size you can just attribute it to Phillips hitting the ball very unlucky and right at people over his last few games.

Moving EE this early would be a mistake, we don't have anyone else who can play 3rd as well as he can, Lopez should be at 2nd.
    Go Gators!

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Then he shouldn't be an every day player.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Then he shouldn't be an every day player.
    Not true.

See: Alex Gonzalez

He has made a career fielding (and being an everyday player) without being able to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Moving EE this early would be a mistake, we don't have anyone else who can play 3rd as well as he can, Lopez should be at 2nd.
    Encarnacion has all the tools to be a great 3B. It is ENTIRELY too early to move him, especially to first base. He just needs time to adjust i think he has been improving as the season goes on. Bucky Dent is working on him setting his feet when he throws and if you watch, that is the reason he makes errors almost everytime. Every error i've seen him make is throwing, not picking it over there.

As for Phillips, the kid is slumping and he has gotten real unlucky, the hits just aren't falling. The most important aspect he brings to this team is his DEFENSE. When Griffey gets back you can't move Freel to 2nd fulltime. Freel will get 2 starts a week at 2B, 2 in the OF and 1 at 3rd most likely. Phillips saves run with his D. Just as good as hitting hot. In fact i think we'd be a lot better off with Phillips at SS and Lopez at 2b but thats a whole other thread. I think its funny people want to move encarnacion bc of D but then want Phillips out of the line up if hes not hitting

and remember Phillips is young and has loads of potential. He was projected a future all star.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    LOL I love this board.

You can't just move guys from position to position like it is nothing.

Re: What's your opinion on Phillips?

Phillips is an everyday player with a high ceiling. Incredibly fortunate acquisition for the Reds.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    What? If all they needed, or wanted, was "D" at 2B then they could have gotten that with Olmedo.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?