Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Union fighting (Bonds) Investigation

Union fighting (Bonds) Investigation

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9421979

Players union concerned about rights during steroids investigation
    May 6, 2006
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell has asked several former and current major leaguers for medical and telephone records, requests the players union says oversteps the scope of baseball's steroids investigation.

Advertisement

Michael Weiner, the union's No. 3 official, sent an e-mail to agents Friday telling them to inform the union if any clients are contacted by Mitchell.

The union told the agents that the investigation by Mitchell, who was hired by commissioner Bud Selig, was a "substantial disruption" to the bargaining relationship between the players association and Major League Baseball.

"The scope of the investigative efforts to date are plainly inconsistent with the provisions of the basic agreement, related agreements and other statutory rights of all players," Weiner wrote.

Weiner's e-mail was first reported by Newsday and the New York Post.

The e-mail also said the union has yet to be provided with copies of the correspondence between Mitchell and the players he requested information from, or a list of the players who have been contacted.

"The association wishes to advise all current and former players contacted in connection with the investigation of their rights," Weiner wrote. "In order to facilitate this, we expect you to contact the association immediately upon learning of any communication by anyone purporting to be connected with this investigation with or regarding any current or former player."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Union fighting (Bonds) Investigation

Might as well call it for what it is.

The MLB players union is just inviting federal (government) intervention. This is not where they want to go. They would be better off playing along with the charades of this investigation. I'm sure MLB would be happy with shredding Bonds and trying to put this mess behind them.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed
    The MLB players union is just inviting federal (government) intervention. This is not where they want to go. They would be better off playing along with the charades of this investigation. I'm sure MLB would be happy with shredding Bonds and trying to put this mess behind them.
    I think we're on the same page here.

MLB lacks the fortitude to stand up to its players' union. If government intervention leads to better policing and more aggressive enforcement of steroid use, then it'll be a great thing for the (purist) fans.

Cory Lidle is one player who has spoken out against Bonds.

I don't know if there are any others, but if a majority of players were to openly not support him, would that make a difference in the Players' Union stance?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I guess people feel that if you are a major league baseball player, you automatically lose your constitutional rights.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Chip I don't think mitchell is ordering them to submit information, he's asking for it. They should have the right to choose if they want to submit it or not.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

The Union is choosing not to cooperate with the investigation. I would imagine if Mitchell were to ask some of his congressional firends to see what pressure they could put on the union it will only get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I guess people feel that if you are a major league baseball player, you automatically lose your constitutional rights.
    Mitchell's no longer a member of Congress, so he might as well be Magnum, PI or Jim Rockford. I don't see how anyone's rights are in jeopardy.

OTOH, if it were Congress subpoenaing for medical records, I imagine the ACLU would be filing injunctions and holding news conferences before the end of that day's news cycle.

As far as the MLBPA this is about much more than protecting Bonds. It's about protecting all its players and not setting a bad precedent. They can't make this about Barry Bonds and by protecting the rights of Bonds, they're actually looking out for their entire membership. If you throw one guy under the bus, you may as well disband.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    As far as the MLBPA this is about much more than protecting Bonds. It's about protecting all its players and not setting a bad precedent. They can't make this about Barry Bonds and by protecting the rights of Bonds, they're actually looking out for their entire membership. If you throw one guy under the bus, you may as well disband.
    True. As much as we all want to see Bonds nailed -- including, probably, a sizable portion of the MLBPA itself -- the union has to play this by the book, because anything they agree to with respect to Bonds will be considered fair game for anyone and everyone else.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    If you throw one guy under the bus, you may as well disband.
    Especially when you consider that any guys thrown under the bus at this stage could well be among the all-time biggest contributors of union dues to the MLBPA. (Assuming union dues are a percentage of salary.)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone

I don't know if there are any others, but if a majority of players were to openly not support him, would that make a difference in the Players' Union stance?
    God bless Cory Lidle.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...1s7bbhorn.html

Chris Jenkins
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

May 7, 2006

In militaryspeak, it's the equivalent of breaking radio silence. Sticking to “the code,” the many players who believe Barry Bonds cheated his way toward Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron would say so only off the record. Far, far off the record.

And then there's Cory Lidle.

Lidle knew he wouldn't have to pitch against Bonds when a sort of perfect storm arrived at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia for the weekend. Already playing in one of the homer havens of the game, the Phillies were scheduled to line up three right-handed starters against Bonds, none of them Lidle.

“I don't want to see him break records,” Lidle told the Philadelphia Daily News before the Giants arrived in town. “If he breaks them it will be a shame, because I think when all is said and done, the truth will come out. It hasn't yet, but I think if he was in front of a jury and there had to be a verdict, I think the verdict . . . might be guilty.”

Guilty of using steroids to boost his record-breaking home run totals, that is. Bonds withheld comment on Lidle's quotes, but one of his teammates couldn't keep quiet.

“Wow!” Jose Vizcaino said. “For any current player to say stuff like that . . . he should probably have some proof before you say something like that. Because how can you know for sure if it is true or not?”

If it comes to that, Lidle might not be selected for the jury pool in Bonds' case.

“The reason I'm not scared to speak out is – and I don't think he's a dumb person – basically he had decisions to make,” Lidle said. “Whether he wanted to treat people good or treat people bad. Whether he wanted to pump drugs into his body or stay clean. I believe he chose the (former) . . .

“What he could have done without performance-enhancing drugs – which he hasn't been proven guilty of, which I'm not buying – you can maybe take what he had done in his prime before his head started growing at an enormous rate and just make those projections,” Lidle said. “ . . . Maybe it's 550 home runs. I don't know. It definitely wouldn't have been anywhere close to 700.”
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I can't believe Lidle was quoted on those comments.

You know it takes alot of guts to say what a very high percentage of your collagues think/know and wouldn't say in a million years.

Wish I could give Cory a few rep points.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone

Cory Lidle is not in the player's union.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?