Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Draft

Re: MLB Draft

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Becuase you draft the best player available in my opinion, and he was the best guy available. He is pretty much tearing the cover off the ball in Dayton right now.
    Best guy in our price range or best guy available? I think there were a few college pitchers (Pelfrey and Hansen, to name two) who were better.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Amazing that Maybin and Bruce could be found in the same draft. I don't think there is a talent even close to them in this draft from HS.

I was a huge Ian Kennedy fan coming into this year, but considering that his velocity has dropped a little bit this season and his overall numbers aren't that great, I would be disappointed if the Reds drafted him with the 8th pick
    I agree about Kennedy. Most of his stock was put into his great stats before, and a good year could have put him into Jered Weaver like category, but it sounds like both his stuff and stats have left him this year.

I like Bard, Scherzer, or Lincoln at #8. One of those 3 is bound to drop and would give us a potential ace with college exerience. If not though, Clayton Kershaw would be a prep pick with huge upside that might still be their.

I like the prep talent that could be available in the second round. Betances or Kiker would be awesome!

I was a huge Ian Kennedy fan coming into this year, but considering that his velocity has dropped a little bit this season and his overall numbers aren't that great, I would be disappointed if the Reds drafted him with the 8th pick
    I agree about Kennedy. Most of his stock was put into his great stats before, and a good year could have put him into Jered Weaver like category, but it sounds like both his stuff and stats have left him this year.

I like Bard, Scherzer, or Lincoln at #8. One of those 3 is bound to drop and would give us a potential ace with college exerience. If not though, Clayton Kershaw would be a prep pick with huge upside that might still be their.

I like the prep talent that could be available in the second round. Betances or Kiker would be awesome. I'm so excited for the draft!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Amazing that Maybin and Bruce could be found in the same draft. I don't think there is a talent even close to them in this draft from HS.
    Lets not forget that McCutchen and Upton also from HS were in that draft too. As for the HS talent this year, truthfully we wont know for a few years if there is comparable talent, well at least as far as 3 out of the 4 listed (there is no Justin Upton in this years draft). As far as percieved talent coming into the draft, like you say there isnt anyone in this draft that is comparable, hitting wise. I usually get ripped for this around here, but if the Reds took Kershaw I wouldnt be too disappointed if the right college pitcher werent there.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Lets not forget that McCutchen and Upton also from HS were in that draft too. As for the HS talent this year, truthfully we wont know for a few years if there is comparable talent, well at least as far as 3 out of the 4 listed (there is no Justin Upton in this years draft). As far as percieved talent coming into the draft, like you say there isnt anyone in this draft that is comparable, hitting wise. I usually get ripped for this around here, but if the Reds took Kershaw I wouldnt be too disappointed if the right college pitcher werent there.
    Can't argue there, but it seems like there will be at least one or two top college SPs around when they pick. Then go HS in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

The positional talent in this draft sucks. Laporta, Stubbs, and Longoria are the best college hitters and none of them are all that great. Parmalee, Sapp, and Cody Johnson is about it when it comes to the prep ranks.

The pitching is where it's at this year. I think the college pitchers of this draft, although some are underachieving, have a good chance of matching the '04 college crop talent wise. It sounds like Hochever is coming back also. Kershaw is the superstud high school arm, followed by Willems, Jeffress, Walden, Anderson, Betances, Latos, Kiker...so the depth of high school arms makes for an interesting second round.

I really like Bard and he could fall to the Reds

followed by Willems, Jeffress, Walden, Anderson, Betances, Latos, Kiker...so the depth of high school arms makes for an interesting second round.
    With all the supplemental picks between the first and second rounds, it's unlikely any of these guys will see round two.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    With all the supplemental picks between the first and second rounds, it's unlikely any of these guys will see round two.
    Speaking of which, can anyone remember the last time Cincinnati had a supplemental pick? I think it was Moseley. My point is that Cincy is typically panic stricken at the deadline and seemingly makes trades for the sake of it. Minny and Oakland are the pros of this...either keep your pending FAs or trade for a pending FA at the deadline and let them walk. Collect supplemental picks for a few months of salary. Load up your system. Hopefully Krivsky brought this philosophy over with him, b/c it is a quick way to boost up your farm system.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I really like Bard and he could fall to the Reds
    Agreed. I will be incredibly ticked off if he falls to the Reds and they pass on him. He reminds me of Justin Verlander in terms of stuff and size. I think he has the stuff to be a No. 1 o 2 starter, plus he could move fast through the system. Bard, Wood, and Bailey could make for a tough top three someday if they pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    He reminds me of Justin Verlander in terms of stuff and size.
    and also the way his collegiate career has gone is similar to Verlander.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Speaking of which, can anyone remember the last time Cincinnati had a supplemental pick? I think it was Moseley. My point is that Cincy is typically panic stricken at the deadline and seemingly makes trades for the sake of it. Minny and Oakland are the pros of this...either keep your pending FAs or trade for a pending FA at the deadline and let them walk. Collect supplemental picks for a few months of salary. Load up your system. Hopefully Krivsky brought this philosophy over with him, b/c it is a quick way to boost up your farm system.
    I think Schramek was a supplemental pick.

The real pressing question is, or course, what round will the Reds take Loo this year?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Ochre, Im leaning toward the 4th on Milton. hopefully they can avoid all this crap and sign him though.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I think Schramek was a supplemental pick.

The real pressing question is, or course, what round will the Reds take Loo this year?
    Forgot about that beauty of a pick...

Turn Off Ads?