Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: MLB Draft

Re: MLB Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    Just heard from one of my sources in Wisconsin that the Reds are high on HS lefty Anthony Butler. Apparently he's been hitting 95 on the gun, but has a strong commitment to Arkansas and his delivery is cause for concern since it requires some effort and strain on his shoulders.
    How high? He isn't even in BA's top 200.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    he may not be in ba's top 200 cause they believe he is a lock to go to college. or maybe he just came on recently. who knows, but i dont like what i read in that one paragraph about him

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    Just heard from one of my sources in Wisconsin that the Reds are high on HS lefty Anthony Butler. Apparently he's been hitting 95 on the gun, but has a strong commitment to Arkansas and his delivery is cause for concern since it requires some effort and strain on his shoulders.
    wow, must be really bad to cause strain on his right shoulder too

I think outshined may be trying to make a joke because his description of Butler sounds exactly like Travis Wood from last year, including the strong commitment to Arkansas part.

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Brewerfan has him at #121. BA said that he works in the high 80s and touches 90 on occasion, but my friend who saw him said he was hitting 95 on some scouts' guns in the 5th inning. He had 19 Ks in that game, by the way.

He'll probably go between rounds 5-10, but if his stock continues to rise, he might be taken higher than that. Depends on how strong his commitment is.

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    wow, must be really bad to cause strain on his right shoulder too
    Funny. I just meant his left shoulder.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

last year I listened in at home using XM Radio - which has continuing coverage of the confernce call all day both days.

If you have XM, I found it to be much more reliable and easy to use over the MLB.com feed.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Oh I know, but I think everyone here will tar and feather me for it, so its staying with me until the day of the draft, when then I can hope people are following the draft too much to worry about getting the tar long enough for me to run and hide.
    We'll see if the Reds pony up and pick C_______ K_______ and make you happy

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    We'll see if the Reds pony up and pick C_______ K_______ and make you happy
    Nope. He wont be on the board when the Reds pick anyways. He will go to 1 of the 2 teams right before the Reds. The guy I would like to see, would probably be "over drafted" at #8....of course, what is overdrafting on draft day when in 5 years he might be the best player out of the draft?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

In reality though, as long as the Reds arent taking Drew Stubbs, I wont be disappointed.

last year I listened in at home using XM Radio - which has continuing coverage of the confernce call all day both days.

If you have XM, I found it to be much more reliable and easy to use over the MLB.com feed.
    XM is a great way to follow the draft. I believe this year the whole draft will be on channel 189.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

If I'm not mistaken Joey Votto wasn't in Baseball America's Top 200. Or if he was, he was way down.

I realize Votto hasn't proven anything yet, but he looks to me like he'll at least be useful.

BBA is great, but they can't find everyone.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    If I'm not mistaken Joey Votto wasn't in Baseball America's Top 200. Or if he was, he was way down.

I realize Votto hasn't proven anything yet, but he looks to me like he'll at least be useful.

BBA is great, but they can't find everyone.
    OBM started a thread a few weeks back that makes this statement crystal clear

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=978599

16 out of the top 50 hitters ranked by OPS were taken in the 1st round.

Five of those were in the 2nd. Quite a few (nine) were international free agents, but still that means 20 of the top hitters in baseball were'nt thought highly enough to spend a top 70 pick on them. That means something.

One Man Army

OBM started a thread a few weeks back that makes this statement crystal clear

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=978599

16 out of the top 50 hitters ranked by OPS were taken in the 1st round.

Five of those were in the 2nd. Quite a few (nine) were international free agents, but still that means 20 of the top hitters in baseball were'nt thought highly enough to spend a top 70 pick on them. That means something.
    Actually, I think you might be taking that particular breakdown the wrong way. It's not necessarily that half of the best hitters in baseball were not highly thought of enuogh to be taken in the first round...it's more that a significant proportion of those hitters (32%) were selected in the first round. Moreover, over half of those hitters were selected in the first five rounds.

Much like any draft, the highest rates of success will always be in the first round. Sure, guys can come out of later rounds and be Hall of Famers...but the likelihood of guys even reaching the majors as each round goes on decreases.

Also, in some cases with the MLB Draft, guys can fall due to signability (college commitment, salary demands, Scott Boras, etc) or because of weird circumstances (Sean Gallagher falling to the Cubs in the 12th round two years ago because he was on an airplane with no cell phone reception) and still end up signed. Granted, it does not apply in every case, but it does have an impact.

Royals owner David Glass rudely fired all-time good guy Allard Baird over the phone, hiring the Braves' Dayton Moore to replace him as GM and throwing the draft into turmoil. Baird's plan was to take North Carolina pitcher Andrew Miller, but Moore might be leaning toward Texas outfielder Drew Stubbs or pitcher Luke Hochevar, who failed to do a deal with the Dodgers.

Moore already might be learning how bad Glass is. Word is Glass, despite getting $30 million in revenue handouts, is balking at Hochevar's asking price, making Stubbs more likely.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...rts-columnists

Turn Off Ads?