Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Draft

Re: MLB Draft

And B.J. and Janish are finally raking in Dayton

Szymanski's powr has been impressive, but isn't he still batting like .240?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude

In a league he is much too old for.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude

He does have a .496 SLG% (12th in MWL) and 8 HR's (2nd in MWL) and has come along way since his huge slump out of the gate. Let's not forget that he's coming back from a season-ending injury last year and he's not been out of college even two years yet. Take away last year's injury and he may be playing at Hi A or AA right now. I'm sure he and Janish will be promoted soon anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him at AA sometime this year.

Janish has been great, but even with Szymanski's recent turn-around, he's gonna have to prove he can do more than just survive low-A pitching at 22-23 year old.

Our closer at Indiana State had lunch with a D-backs scout yesturday and the D-backs want and think they will be getting Bard for their first pick. You can take that for what it's worth. I'd rather pass on him and take a college arm.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

MLB.com has the Reds taking Drew Stubbs in their latest Mock Draft.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    MLB.com has the Reds taking Drew Stubbs in their latest Mock Draft.

We need pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44

We need pitching.
    I'll take anything at this point. With a farm system ranked dead last, BPA sounds fine to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

With a farm system ranked dead last, BPA sounds fine to me.
    I agree. I just hope Stubbs isn't the BPA.

One Man Army

*Cracks knuckles*

This is one of my favorite times of the year.

To start out, I really hate to be a Debbie Downer, but...I have a list of Scott Boras' college clients:

Luke Hochevar
    Max Scherzer
    Ian Kennedy
    Matt LaPorta
    Jason Donald
    Colin Curtis

Overall, this is a bad year for position players. In college, Stubbs has terrific potential, but he's been having production problems lately. SS Evan Longoria, arguably the most hilarious name in the draft, is probably the top college position player...yet only projects to be decent as a position player. LaPorta has awesome power, but has struggled. Chad Tracy is supposedly Mike Piazza without the power. After that, it gets bleak...

HS is not that good, either. 3B Chris Marrero has great tools, but hasn't performed well. 3B/OF Billy Rowell is really athletic, 6'5 with a good frame and speed, but reminds me a little too much of Cubs bust-turned mediocre OF Luis Montanez. Everyone else either doesn't have the tools or doesn't have the performance record to really get hopes up about them. Guys like Conger and Parmelee have been slipping because of that.

The pitchers are a little better. College-wise...Andrew Miller will probably go #1 overall. If not him, then likely Tim Lincecum. Brandon Morrow out of California is probably the most intriguing guy out there, as he's finally managed to harness his incredible stuff with a productive season. Scherzer is terrific, but his injuries are a matter of concern. Ditto Joba Chamberlain. Ian Kennedy's velocity has taken a dive.

In HS, Clayton Kershaw has been flying up the charts. He's committed to Texas and might be hard to pry away, though. Kyle Drabek is incredibly talented, but apparently needs to work on maturity issues. Chris Tillman is a project, albeit a tantalizing one. Jeremy Jeffress is on the smaller side, but apparently has touched 100 mph this spring and has a nice delivery.

Most people don't sound too thrilled with this draft in terms of its overall talent. That said, this isn't a good draft to be looking at position players, from all accounts.
    Last edited by Outshined_One; 05-19-2006 at 12:41 AM.

Most people don't sound too thrilled with this draft in terms of its overall talent. That said, this isn't a good draft to be looking at position players, from all accounts.
    Seems to be lacking in top-top shelf talent. But there are always players to be found. Will be interesting to see how the first Buckley-led draft goes. I'm guessing heavy college.

If the Reds pass on Bard they should be shot

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    You say that now, but you have no idea what the future holds for him, or for whoever the Reds will end up taking if its not Bard.

Interesting. I like when folks really get behind a player. Makes it fun to see how the guy pans out.

On the other hand, it annoys me when a player gets trashed the moment he's drafted. That's draftnickery, I guess.

Please do not post premium content from Baseball America. We have been contacted by their attorneys regarding this matter. Thank you. -GIK (5.31.06)

Turn Off Ads?