Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carlton Fisk and his overhyped HR!

Carlton Fisk and his overhyped HR!

Living in Maine, I get hammered with the Red Sox. One of the biggest things shoved down my throat is the HR by Fisk in Game 6 of the 75 World Series. Most Red Sox fans would list this as the greatest moment in the history of the sport (OK, slight exaggeration) but Red fans know, it was basically, other than the theatre, meaningless. The Reds haven't looked back since that Fisk HR in terms of World Series games. They won Game 7 of that series, swept the Yankees in 76 and of course, Joe Olivered the A's in 1990.

So, the point of this thread is to ask the brilliant baseball minds on this site, the ones who easily would put Ken Burns and Keith Olberman to shame, a question. Are there other HRs in baseball that are as hyped as Fisk, that were as meaningless? I look back at all of the HRs that are shown, over and over and over and all of them that I can think of were hit by players whose team went on to win. Joe Carter in 93. Kirby in 91. Or was it 87? Ozzie Smith in the 85 NLCS. GIbson off Eck in 88. Bucky Dent. The shot heard round the world. Etc, etc.

Can anyone think of another HR hit by a losing team that has such a place in the video history of baseball?

I probably see it more than most, living in New England but it always bugs me. I tease my Red Sox buddies by saying, stuff, like, meaingingless, irrelevent, etc, etc when it is shown. I just don't get it. To me it would be the same as listing Buckner's game 6 error on the biggest blunder list had the Sox gone onto win the WS. Had they won game 7, nobody would blaming Buck for anything. He might of ended up in the Hall of Luck but he wouldn't be in the Hall of Shame, as he is now. But with Fisk, had the Sox won game 7 in 75, I can't imagine that homer being more mainstream than it already is. Maybe it would be by a hair but not much IMO.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 05-07-2006 at 08:31 AM. Reason: grammar

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Carlton Fisk and his overhyped HR!

Good topic.

Any HR hit by McGwire, Sosa or Bonds during their "chase for the record seasons". It was huge when it was happening, but in hindsight was way overhyped with the things we now know. There were others doing things (Palmeiro, Giambi, etc.), but the first three mentioned were hyped to the highest degree during their times chasing the single season HR record.

Several years ago, in the public library, I stumbled across a book called Beyond The Sixth Game, by the insufferable Peter Gammons. It was a look at baseball since the 1975 World Series. I skimmed the first chapter. Based on that, you'd think the Sox won that Series. Gammons just went on and on about the Fisk home run, about how it was the greatest and most important home run in baseball history. Oh, by the way, the Reds won Game 7 and the Series the next night, but that's not really important, because the Red Sox won everything that mattered in Game 6 on Fisk's home run.

What a putz.

The only reason I can tolerate seeing Fisk's HR so often is that the Reds won the Series anyway (and Peter Gammons no doubt cried bitter tears).

Can he be stopped?

Yeah, apparently there is a great misconception that the Sox won that series. People see the Fisk homer and assume the Sox won. Ask most people and they will assume the Sox won that series.

As for the Sox themselves, they went and renamed the foul pole for fiskie. Dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by tsj017
    Several years ago, in the public library, I stumbled across a book called Beyond The Sixth Game, by the insufferable Peter Gammons. It was a look at baseball since the 1975 World Series. I skimmed the first chapter. Based on that, you'd think the Sox won that Series. Gammons just went on and on about the Fisk home run, about how it was the greatest and most important home run in baseball history. Oh, by the way, the Reds won Game 7 and the Series the next night, but that's not really important, because the Red Sox won everything that mattered in Game 6 on Fisk's home run.

What a putz.

The only reason I can tolerate seeing Fisk's HR so often is that the Reds won the Series anyway (and Peter Gammons no doubt cried bitter tears).

Okay, I catch flack when I talk about how little I think of Gammons but your post brings directly to the forefront why he is so unreliable for most baseball stories.

How ESPN put him on the "IN" section is beyond me.

When all is said and done anything Gammons says or writes in regards to baseball is suspect at best.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    Yeah, apparently there is a great misconception that the Sox won that series. People see the Fisk homer and assume the Sox won. Ask most people and they will assume the Sox won that series.
    Can't help people like that, just have to smile and move along, they live in ESPN land where the only teams are the yankees and boston
    Go Gators!

When all is said and done anything Gammons says or writes in regards to baseball is suspect at best.
    I like Gammons and feel the complete opposite that you do.

Oh and I have that book too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    These are the same people who think Buckner's error cost the Red Sox the series. The truth is the game was already tied and there was still a game 7 to play.

saboforthird

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Good topic.

Any HR hit by McGwire, Sosa or Bonds during their "chase for the record seasons". It was huge when it was happening, but in hindsight was way overhyped with the things we now know. There were others doing things (Palmeiro, Giambi, etc.), but the first three mentioned were hyped to the highest degree during their times chasing the single season HR record.
    I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, RFA, but I believe most "true" fans "knew" those homerun record chases were a farce, WHEN they were happening.

It was a home run that ended a World Series game and tied the series, for a franchise that had not won a World Series since 1918 - it clearly was an incredibly important hit when it happened, and when nobody knew how the series would end.

Of course, once you get the benefit of hindsight and the knowledge that the Reds won the series, it is pretty easy to downplay that home run, but, JMO, that makes it sound like you, not Gammons, are the one who is bitter.

It was a very clutch & important hit - fortunately the Reds won the series and reduced its importance, but not many players have ended a World Series game with such a hit, especially for a franchise like the Red Sox who had gone so long without a title.

Fred Lynn's three-run homer in the first inning and Bernie Carbo's three-run homer in the eighth inning made it possible.

The most over-rated home-run of all time was Gibson's homerun in game 1 of the World Series. It was game 1 for God's sakes, it was at home, they should have one that game anyway. I know he was hurt but it did not win the series or extend the series like Fisk's HR did in 75.

The most under-rated home run of all time was Joe Carter's Walk-off home run to win the series....I mean it won the series. You never see this on "homerun highlights." They were down 6-5 in game six to the Phillies. Their ace reliever Mitch Williams was pitching and Carter hits a 3-run digger to win the series...back to back series. If I see Gibson's HR again I will puke!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_World_Series#Game_6
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster

The most under-rated home run of all time was Joe Carter's Walk-off home run to win the series....I mean it won the series. You never see this on "homerun highlights." They were down 6-5 in game six to the Phillies. Their ace reliever Mitch Williams was pitching and Carter hits a 3-run digger to win the series...back to back series. If I see Gibson's HR again I will puke!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_World_Series#Game_6
    Blame Canada

I kind of smile when I see the Fisk HR. Now that I know how the story ends. It's part of a fun look back for me. And, sometimes I have fun asking others who may not be Reds or BoSox fans who won that series.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    These are the same people who think Buckner's error cost the Red Sox the series. The truth is the game was already tied and there was still a game 7 to play.
    But why let the facts get the way of feelings? The "Fisk Pole" dedication was last summer on the night of the Reds first game in Boston. Obviously Sox fans know that they didn't win the series that year because of the good ole "1918" cheer that yankee fans used to throw at them. But I'm sure they mention how they lost game 7 of that series and 1986 it would just follow a cough and be spoken under their breath.

Turn Off Ads?