Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milton may be getting close to returning

Milton may be getting close to returning

Eric Milton is probably going to pitch in that Hall of Fame Game a week from Monday and if he looks ok may return after that.

Reds may test Milton in exhibition
    Pitcher could face Pirates, and if he does well, he would likely return to the rotation.
    By Hal McCoy

PHOENIX | To a major-league baseball player, an off-day is three ounces of pure gold and/or free gas for the Mercedes. It is savored, appreciated and guarded.

So the Cincinnati Reds aren't doing Ozzie Smith back flips over what happens a week from Monday — an exhibition game in Cooperstown, N.Y. in the Hall of Fame game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

What perplexes them is that not only are they giving up a day off to play a midseason game that means nothing, they are playing the Pirates, against whom they play the next three days in Pittsburgh in games that count.

To Eric Milton and the Reds pitching rotation, the game could have important implications.

If Milton continues to progress from the left knee surgery he underwent April 24, he could be the starting pitcher that day in Cooperstown. And if that goes well, he could be back in the rotation shortly thereafter.

Milton threw 50 pitches in the bullpen in Cincinnati on Friday, and General Manager Wayne Krivsky said, "The report I received said everything went well and he'll probably throw 50 pitches again (today)."

Krivsky said if Milton is recovered enough to pitch a few innings in Cooperstown, it would greatly aid the club.

What clubs normally do is call up minor-leaguers to pitch major-league exhibition games, and Krivsky plans to do that, "But it is tough for us because all of our affiliates have games that day, and I don't want to wreck one of those teams for one day by taking three or four pitchers.

"What we'll probably do is bring up two pitchers from three different teams, but if Milton can pitch, that certainly would help us and be a big step for him, too."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Milton may be getting close to returning

Could Homer Bailey be in attendence?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

got alil captain in u?

i hope so dave williams/milton are really starting to annoy me

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

If he could come back and pitch the way he did down the stretch of last season and towards the end of spring training then I think this team could give the top of the division a run for their money. The way Bronson and Aaron have been dealing adding a above average Milton to the rotation would be a decent tandem. Although I'd personally leave Elizardo in the rotation, drop Williams to the bullpen and give Rick White his walking papers. Not to get off the Milton topic but Ramirez hasn't shown why he shouldn't stay. He's pitched great and if the defense can improve behind him then he can be a great addition to this rotation.
    Last edited by RedLegSuperStar; 05-07-2006 at 12:13 PM.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    If he could come back and pitch the way he did down the stretch of last season and towards the end of spring training then I think this team could give the top of the division a run for their money. The way Bronson and Aaron have been dealing adding a above average Milton to the rotation would be a decent tandem. Although I'd personally leave Elizardo in the rotation, drop Williams to the bullpen and give Rick White his walking papers. Not to get off the Milton topic but Ramirez hasn't shown why he shouldn't stay. He's pitched great and if the defense can improve behind him then he can be a great addition to this rotation.
    You'd replace White in the pen with Williams? Why? Since the first week, White has been solid.

No way Elizardo should be taken out of the rotation.

Williams better be the odd man out.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by reds44

Williams should be in AAA.

Homer Homer Homer Homer Homer

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg
    AA
    Go Gators!

There's something mildly piquant about the notion of Eric Milton pitching in a Hall of Fame Game.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

We could use his bat in the lineup the way the offense has gone cold.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by reds44

Agreed
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

The Lizard should be sent down to continue his seasoning, he isn't ready for a full gig yet and the last game showed that.

I would give Belisle 5 starts and see how he performs once he builds up some arm strength, which means don't panic if he has a rough start or 2 before the stamina kicks in. I think Harang,Claussen,Arroyo,Belisle and Milton is probably the best the Reds could do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    The Lizard should be sent down to continue his seasoning, he isn't ready for a full gig yet and the last game showed that.

I would give Belisle 5 starts and see how he performs once he builds up some arm strength, which means don't panic if he has a rough start or 2 before the stamina kicks in. I think Harang,Claussen,Arroyo,Belisle and Milton is probably the best the Reds could do for now.
    I disagree.

1 ER

Not the pitchers fault when the team commits 3 errors in one freaking inning.

The Lizard has like a 3.08 ERA.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg
    Watching him pitch could make us all AA members.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?