Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pitchers Who May Be Available At The Deadline

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Pitchers Who May Be Available At The Deadline

Yesterday while watching Baseball Tonight they were discussing about possible pitchers who could be availible at the deadline and along with Gil Meche, Joel Pineiro, they also talked about Zito. BT talked about him going to the Mets for Lastings Milledge. Made me think.. Zito has to be the hottest name in the list of deadline pitchers period.. and the Oakland wants Milledge. I got to think if the going rate for an ace is a 5 tool OF'er and possibly a couple lower lever pitchers then what could the Reds do to nab a Gil Meche or Joel Pineiro from Seattle? Don't get me wrong I'd rather have Zito (Kearns, Claussen, and Wagner).. but with the chance to talk long term contract. But the 2 M's have got to have a lower price tag.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zito

Joel Pineiro is a guy I would like Krivsky to go after. Still pretty young at 27 years old, Piineiro would be a decent pickup. He's not an ace or even a No. 2 or 3 starter, but he would look better at the back of the rotation than Dave Williams. He was a very good pitcher before suffering a shoulder injury in 2004 that caused him to undergo surgery. If he can return to where he was before that, he could be a steal.

He has a 1.22 WHIP and 3.72 ERA so far in 46 innings this year. The 1.97 G/F ratio looks pretty good too, although the .869 OPS against is very alarming. Still, I would take him over Williams as long as he can be had for a relatively low price.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Joel Pineiro is a guy I would like Krivsky to go after. Still pretty young at 27 years old, Piineiro would be a decent pickup. He's not an ace or even a No. 2 or 3 starter, but he would look better at the back of the rotation than Dave Williams. He was a very good pitcher before suffering a shoulder injury in 2004 that caused him to undergo surgery. If he can return to where he was before that, he could be a steal.

He has a 1.22 WHIP and 3.72 ERA so far in 46 innings this year. The 1.97 G/F ratio looks pretty good too, although the .869 OPS against is very alarming. Still, I would take him over Williams as long as he can be had for a relatively low price.
    Agreed, but Pineiro's problem is health, not talent. If we don't give up much to get him, I'd be all over it.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine

Problem is, there are 29 other teams who know this fact and will drive the price up. He is a slightly more groundball to flyball pitcher as well, which is a good thing. He was quite hitable last year, but it looks like he has calmed down a bit this season so far.

Re: Pitchers Who May Be Available At The Deadline

I'd love to have Zito - but i aint giving up Kearns, Classuen and Baby Wags for him... Thats just talking crazy... For a 3-4 month rental fee of a pitcher?

You are giving up 2 semi-proven major league players and 1 player that could turn into something if he gets his head on stright.

Zito has new york written all over him.... next year.

Now about Meche or Pineiro i can deal with... But once again.. not giving up more then 1 major league ready player for them (call me crazy, i know you will)

The best bet for the Reds is HOLD ON TO EVERYTHING. Unless its shipping a cather out packaged with Freel/Kearns for a legit #2/3 starter.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

why does every big name free agent have to be destined for New York?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

So King George can continue collecting a bunch of very good players, yet continually be unable to put together a great team.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    So King George can continue collecting a bunch of very good players, yet continually be unable to put together a great team.
    But thr article says the Mets. I think the Mets (as seen the year before) are willing to deal talent for short term rental and then overpay to retain them. Even though Zito is a big name unless you get to negotiate a contract before a trade it would not be worth it for the REDS.

saboforthird

Because that's the only state in the lower 50 where you can spend most of your time on a bench and make more than any starter from any other team in the big leagues. Quite sad.

Quote Originally Posted by saboforthird
    Because that's the only state in the lower 50 where you can spend most of your time on a bench and make more than any starter from any other team in the big leagues. Quite sad.
    What can I say, when you have teams who get more money in revenue sharing than they spend on their payroll and then claim they can't compete unless they get a new stadium payed for by the taxpayers who then buy the tickets which brings in money to the billionaire owners who continue to watch losing season after losing season and the fans lose interest so they up and move the team to a larger market...let's just say steroid use isn't the only crime going on in baseball, it's just the only one getting publicized.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

They have had 26 great teams.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Can you confirm that you were alive and breathing from 1996 to 2000?

I wish the Reds could be so good at continually being unable to put together great teams.

When was the last time the Yankees missed the play-offs? 93?

Why do folks continue to rag on success like that? We're Reds fans. Sorry but we can't make fun of the Yankees. We can whine about the system that makes it this way but this system was created by the owners and one of the few who was against this current system was Steinbrenner himself.

Wouldn't it be nice to see Milton toss 2-3 quality starts once of the DL then Cincy ship him to the NY Mets for a few prospects?

Mets could be desperate if they get many performances like Lima's against the Braves....just saying....

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred
    Wouldn't it be nice to see Milton toss 2-3 quality starts once of the DL then Cincy ship him to the NY Mets for a few prospects?

Mets could be desperate if they get many performances like Lima's against the Braves....just saying....

Milton for Heilman... make it happen WK!

Turn Off Ads?