Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mets lose Zambrano for the year...

Mets lose Zambrano for the year...

With Lima in the rotation, I guess that it is now officially gut-check time for the team from Queens...

Mets lose Zambrano for season with torn tendon
    / Associated Press
    Posted: 19 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) - New York Mets right-hander Victor Zambrano will miss the rest of the season after tearing a tendon in his pitching elbow, the latest in a string of injuries to the team's starting staff.

The Mets placed Zambrano on the 60-day disabled list Sunday, and said he could be ready to pitch by spring training. Right-hander Jose Lima was brought up from Triple-A Norfolk to take Zambrano's roster spot and started Sunday against Atlanta.
    Zambrano left Saturday's 6-5 win over the Braves after facing just four batters, and striking out three. In the second inning, manager Willie Randolph and trainer Ray Ramirez visited Zambrano on the mound to make sure he was feeling OK. Zambrano stayed in the game and, two pitches later, struck out Andruw Jones. He then bounded off the mound, down the dugout steps and into the clubhouse.

"When I threw my last pitch, I knew it was over," Zambrano said.

An MRI exam taken after the game revealed the tear. Zambrano, who came to New York in a trade that sent top Mets prospect Scott Kazmir in July 2004, said he has been pitching with discomfort for some time but felt he could fight through the soreness. He hadn't said anything to the team's training staff about the elbow.

"I'm not a doctor," Randolph said, "but I'm sure if we had known we could have taken some preventative measures."

Randolph added that many players play through pain, and he attributed Zambrano's determination to keep pitching to the right-hander's competitiveness.

Zambrano, 1-2 with a 6.75 ERA in five starts this season, has had a hard time winning over Mets fans, many of whom believe New York gave up too much in the deal with Tampa Bay. He missed the final six weeks of the 2004 season with elbow and ankle problems.

"It's very hard for me to not show what I can do," he said of pitching with the pain in his elbow.

The Mets already have pitchers Brian Bannister and John Maine on the disabled list.

Both Randolph and general manager Omar Minaya mentioned right-hander Jeremi Gonzalez, currently in Triple-A with Norfolk, as a possibility to be brought up to the Mets. New York could also move left-hander Darren Oliver, who gave up two runs in four innings in relief of Zambrano Saturday, from the bullpen to the starting rotation.

"We built a team with numbers in certain areas," Minaya said.

Right-hander Aaron Heilman is not an option to start, since both Randolph and Minaya are happy with the performance of the bullpen and want to keep it intact.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 05-07-2006 at 02:16 PM.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mets lose Zambrano for the year...

This could put an interesting twist on how the Mets go about promoting Pelfrey. He has had just 2 starts at AA so far and has pitched so-so (4.66 era), but if he puts together a string of good starts - look for a desparate Mets team to push him into their rotation if (more like when) their alternatives don't pan out. I wonder how happy they are NOW that they got rid of Benson???

They could use a starter

Dave Williams?
    Go Gators!

FYI- Sidney Ponson left the Cards game today with "right elbow discomfort".

Hmn.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    FYI- Sidney Ponson left the Cards game today with "right elbow discomfort".

Hmn.
    He was pitching well too. I hope he is ok, but Adam Wainwright is ready if the Cards need another starter. So don't get your hopes up on unloading Williams on TLR.

Any team faced with having Lima as a legit part of its staff can't be picky. The Mets also don't look at salary the same way we do.

Take Milton and his contract off our hands just send back somethinng with a pulse to make it look good and lets close that particular chapter in Reds history.

Now why in the world did the Mets trade Kazmir for this guy???

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    He was pitching well too. I hope he is ok, but Adam Wainwright is ready if the Cards need another starter. So don't get your hopes up on unloading Williams on TLR.
    Zambrano actually pitched one more pitch after he hurt his elbow, I hope he did not do more damage.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Now why in the world did the Mets trade Kazmir for this guy???
    Omar Minaya prefers minorities.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

If I were a Mets fan, I would rather see them bring Heilman out of the BP than have to endure Jose Lima every fifth day.

There was some radio chatter this morning about Minaya contemplating pulling a deal with Oakland to land Zito.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    That comment walks a fine line.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    If I were a Mets fan, I would rather see them bring Heilman out of the BP than have to endure Jose Lima every fifth day.
    That seems to be conventional wisdom w/everyone except Mets management. They have another starter, Brian Bannister, out w/a hamstring strain.

Their #4 and #5 starters right now are Lima and Darren Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    That seems to be conventional wisdom w/everyone except Mets management. They have another starter, Brian Bannister, out w/a hamstring strain.

Their #4 and #5 starters right now are Lima and Darren Oliver.
    Why didn't they ask Atlanta if they would like back in the NL East race?

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Why didn't they ask Atlanta if they would like back in the NL East race?
    With that rotation, might want to talk to Florida and Washington as well!
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    ??
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Turn Off Ads?