Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Todd Coffey : Mariano Rivera

Todd Coffey : Mariano Rivera

The 2006 version of Todd Coffey is looking like Mariano Rivera to my eyes. The stuff of these pitchers is very similar. They both find their success by throwing 93-94 MPH cut fastballs that have late movement as they approach the fringes of the strike zone. This year Coffey is throwing a lot more of these two seam fastballs and he'll mix in an occassional splitter. Rivera exclusively throws cutters and his speed does not vary. The key to his success is late movement. Nice to see Coffey finding his niche and this model sure has been proven to work in New York.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Todd Coffey : Mariano Rivera

I'm been ecstatic about Coffey, but we might be getting out of hand here. Plus, in his last few appearances it seems like he's been walking a tightrope.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    I'm been ecstatic about Coffey, but we might be getting out of hand here. Plus, in his last few appearances it seems like he's been walking a tightrope.
    I'm not saying he's going to have the success of Rivera. What I am saying is that his stuff is very similar. Whether he can continue to throw this well over an extended period of time is anyone's guess. But so far this year, that's the reason his ERA is about half a run.

Coffey's been sweet this year. He was pumping easy 95MPH heaters today. Add that along with two good secondary pitches and I'd say Ryan Wagner's closer of the future tag is just about gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    I'm not saying he's going to have the success of Rivera. What I am saying is that his stuff is very similar. Whether he can continue to throw this well over an extended period of time is anyone's guess. But so far this year, that's the reason his ERA is about half a run.
    he's had great stuff, but doesn't deserve to be mention in the same sentence as Rivera. Rivera is one of the best of his generation, Coffey is just beggining. anybody can look like a great pitcher from time to time. I think Coffey could have a bright future, and I am glad he's having a good year, but you are a little out of hand.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    he's had great stuff, but doesn't deserve to be mention in the same sentence as Rivera. Rivera is one of the best of his generation, Coffey is just beggining. anybody can look like a great pitcher from time to time. I think Coffey could have a bright future, and I am glad he's having a good year, but you are a little out of hand.
    Did He ever have a career that began? The way I viewed the posters comments , are that he as in Coffey, having a year similiar to. Not a "career" so settle down Francis and stop jumping to conclusions.

For a Level Playing Field

Todd Coffey has done the best at his respective position than anyone else on the 2006 REDS team to this point IMO. Been OVER A MONTH since he has allowed an earned run... don't get much better than that. The only earned run he has allowed all year was in a game that the REDS won anyhow (Apr. 7).

Great work, Todd! Great work...

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Apparently you didnt read his post well enough. He didnt say Coffey = Rivera, he said their pitch types are the same and hopes Coffey has similiar successes.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Apparently you didnt read his post well enough. He didnt say Coffey = Rivera, he said their pitch types are the same and hopes Coffey has similiar successes.
    You read my comments very accurately. I am speaking from the perspective of a scout, evaluating their stuff. I did not speculate further.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    The 2006 version of Todd Coffey is looking like Mariano Rivera to my eyes.
    I suggest an a visit to the optometrist.

And nobody has a cutter like Rivera.

Yeah, The"Sheriff" is no Rivera, but he's lookin' good this year. Got good stuff, he's a hard nosed guy, and I love his sprint in from the bullpen. Petey would be proud.

Did anyone hear Bob Carpenter, the Nationals TV announcer when Coffey sprinted into a game in DC?

He casually was announcing that, "Coffey," would be entering the game when the bullpen door flings open and like a bull, out he comes.

"And it looks like he just had a cup!"

Great line.

Turn Off Ads?