Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scary quote

Re: scary quote

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    define "guess hitter"
    he tries to guess what the pitcher will throw on the next pitch, some hitters only do it with no strikes others will do it even with two strikes.

BTW, Ted Williams was a "guess hitter" until he got two strikes.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I think alot of quotes are given without much thought, and are given way too much importance. I think the most boring part of sports news is player interviews.
    Bingo. I actually prefer "fluff pieces" for sports interviews, because at least then the players are not expected to say the "one correct answer" that everyone wants to hear.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Haunted by walks

On another note, Jerry Narron the other day referred to "pretty much our regular lineup" and I wanted to cheer.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I don't know for sure, but I think penantboundreds might have been alluding to this part of the quote... "people yell at me for swinging at a bad pitch".
    I would think that phrase is the one that was troubling. It made me think too. But one thing we need to remember is that Adam has a puckish sense of humor. We weren't there when he was quoted about that. We didn't see the expression on his face when he said that. He could have just been joking about people yelling at him. I'm sure there are fans that yell at him when he strikes out but I would hope he tunes those people out. If he listened to everything the fans yelled at him, he'd be a mess. I would hope Narron doesn't yell at him when he strikes out. Hopefully he was just being self-deprecating and making a joke out of him striking out a lot.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    he tries to guess what the pitcher will throw on the next pitch, some hitters only do it with no strikes others will do it even with two strikes.

BTW, Ted Williams was a "guess hitter" until he got two strikes.
    I have a definition of a "guess hitter." I was wanting to know what the original poster meant by that term.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

To me, he was kind of joking around, saying, "Well, I knew I'd be the hero or goat, and I went for it".
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

What I meant by a Guess hitter is that Dunn is going up there looking for a certain pitch and he is guessing when the pitcher might throw it. This is why he swings at pitches he couldn't hit with ironing board and he takes so many good pitches, hence the high strike outs. He doesn't have the bat control and his swing is to long to adjust his swing and make contact if he guesses wrong. With two strikes he won't choke up on the bat and shorten his swing and try to drive the ball the other way.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

With the bases loaded and up in the count 2-0, if he wasen't swinging he'd be crazy. Everyone new what was coming......MEAT!! Dunn is a major league hitter and he made the pitcher pay for getting down in the count.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

[QUOTE=Redmachine2003]What I meant by a Guess hitter is that Dunn is going up there looking for a certain pitch and he is guessing when the pitcher might throw it. This is why he swings at pitches he couldn't hit with ironing board and he takes so many good pitches, hence the high strike outs. He doesn't have the bat control and his swing is to long to adjust his swing and make contact if he guesses wrong. With two strikes he won't choke up on the bat and shorten his swing and try to drive the ball the other way.[/QUOTE

I think you are missing the point on what makes Adam Dunn a productive hitter.

Far too many hitters swing at pitches just because they can hit'em.

The best and most productive hitters wait for a pitch they can drive/ hit hard.

[QUOTE=Ron Madden]
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    What I meant by a Guess hitter is that Dunn is going up there looking for a certain pitch and he is guessing when the pitcher might throw it. This is why he swings at pitches he couldn't hit with ironing board and he takes so many good pitches, hence the high strike outs. He doesn't have the bat control and his swing is to long to adjust his swing and make contact if he guesses wrong. With two strikes he won't choke up on the bat and shorten his swing and try to drive the ball the other way.[/QUOTE

I think you are missing the point on what makes Adam Dunn a productive hitter.

Far too many hitters swing at pitches just because they can hit'em.

The best and most productive hitters wait for a pitch they can drive/ hit hard.
    The problem is Dunn doesn't do that. Dunn mind is made up if he is going to swing before the pitcher even throws the ball. That is what I mean by guess hitter. Good hitters wait on their pitch and have a quick and short enough swing to recognize the pitch that they want and swing, Dunn can't do that with his swing that is why he doesn't foul off alot pitches when he get two strikes on him.

Dunn seems to be a guess hitter so this makes since.
    I think the term guess hitter is an over-used term. All batters are anticipating or "guessing" certain pitches and locations in given situations. Unless the batter is a total nitwit, how could they help not guess/anticipate?

The count is obviously important. Certainly there are favorable fastball counts. If Dunn has a pitcher in a hitter's/fastball count, he is most certainly looking for a fastball to drive. That is what he is paid to do. Now, if he is in a hole, he is not looking fastball because the pitcher is going to be trying to get him out with sliders/breaking balls off the corners.

There are other factors that dictate what Dunn or any batter are looking for such as runners on base, score, inning, as well as pitcher's/batter's history.
    Last edited by Spitball; 05-09-2006 at 08:12 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Dunn mind is made up if he is going to swing before the pitcher even throws the ball. That is what I mean by guess hitter. Good hitters wait on their pitch and have a quick and short enough swing to recognize the pitch that they want and swing, Dunn can't do that with his swing that is why he doesn't foul off alot pitches when he get two strikes on him.
    If he makes up his mind before the ball is thrown whether or not to swing, there's no way he would walk as much as he does.

He is a good hitter, and he does wait for his pitch. He's known and lauded for his good eye and patience at the plate.

In addition, he's often taken the count to 3-2 after going 0-2 to begin with.

Are we watching the same player?
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 05-09-2006 at 11:35 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

[QUOTE=TeamBoone]

If he makes up his mind before the ball is thrown whether or not to swing, there's no way he would walk as much as he does.

He is a good hitter, and he does wait for his pitch. He's known and lauded for his good eye and patience at the plate.

In addition, he's often taken the count to 3-2 after going 0-2 to begin with.

Are we watching the same player?
    And this is why he leads the league in SO's and his career avg is below .250. The Reason why he goes 0-2 so much is he takes to many good pitches right down the middle of the plate.

yeah i was troubled by the quote because of the fact that in a 2-0 count you do go to be the hero, but i think if people (that matter) our yelling at dunn for taking his cuts at the fence in that situation then something is wrong there
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Turn Off Ads?