Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Trade Thought w/ Arizona

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Random Trade Thought w/ Arizona

Having nothing to do before running a golf outing today waiting for players arrive, and watching the archive of Brandon Webb's gem the other day, what are your thoughts on him? I think he's one of the young, emerging arms in the game, and is a legitimate #1.

Realistically, what, if anything, would you give up for him?

My first thought: Felipe Lopez.

Arizona has an old Craig Counsell playing SS as well as an old Damian Easley playing SS, and Felipe would fit into their youth movement. Honestly, I'm not sure if Lopez alone would be enough for Webb, IMO probably not. One player I would like to come back with Webb would be none other than the O Dog, Orlando Hudson. While he doesn't swing the best stick in the land, I think he could easily fit into a Juan Castro role to be a glorified glove man, as well as defensive replacement/pinch runner. Our offense would definitely survive the loss of Lopez, and I think the addition of Webb would honestly make us a contender in the Central for years to come with our current core.

Realistically, I guess I'd send Lopez, Cody Ross, Olmedo or Bergolla and Travis Chick for Webb and Hudson. Still, might need something else, so I would add Germano as well, to look like Lopez, C. Ross, Olmedo/Bergolla, Chick, Germano for Webb and Hudson.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Highlifeman21; 05-08-2006 at 08:16 AM. Reason: clarify thread title

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Random Trade Thought w/ Arizona

Too many players on Cincy's side and I don't think Zona is looking to deal pitchers. They are loaded with positional prospects and have no pitching. That's like a fantasy league trade. I don't think they'd ever trade Webb, but if they did Homer's name would come up in 100% of the conversations. And not only his name, but others as well.

Never gonna happen unless we give up more. Who would give up a young #1 starter like that? Webb is one of the best in the game for his age, and I think any Diamondbacks plan for the future has to include him as long as he fits financially.

I do like the idea, though. Webb has one of the best if not the best ground ball pitching games in MLB, and he would be a perfect fit for Great American Small Park. He would allow us to see Harang's sangfroid at a dominant #2 rather than a fighting #1, and then move Arroyo's leg kick to #3.

I think it would take at least Dunn if not Dunn + prospects... maybe Dunn + Travis Wood, and that's if they're willing to deal Webb at all. And I think if they offer that deal, this team takes it in a heartbeat. Webb is that good.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

In Wayne We Trust

I think Arizona would only accept your trade offer if we also threw in Dave Williams. Losing Williams would be a tough pill to swallow, but it'd be worth it for Brandon Webb.

On a more serious note, Arizona would be crazy to trade Webb. Not gonna happen.

Arizona has Stephen Drew almost ready for the majors. They don't need a SS.

Pitching is the one thing lacking in their minor league system so they certainly aren't going to be trading it.

Can he be stopped?

I would trade Dunn for Webb if they threw Shawn Green in the deal. I covet his defenisve skills in the outfield...

Old Red Guard Reject

It would take more to get Webb than Dontrelle Willis. He's signed to a great deal for Arizona. 4 years 19.5 Million. Club option for 2010. If you wanted him as a free agent after that (He'd be 31) then he's from Ashland, Kentucky, right in the middle of Reds Country, maybe he'd like to "come back home". Ah, wishful thinking.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye
    I think it would take at least Dunn if not Dunn + prospects... maybe Dunn + Travis Wood, and that's if they're willing to deal Webb at all. And I think if they offer that deal, this team takes it in a heartbeat. Webb is that good.
    I'd do that deal as well.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    I would trade Dunn for Webb if they threw Shawn Green in the deal. I covet his defenisve skills in the outfield...
    they are not trading Webb, there have no replacement on a team already short of starting pitching. They maybe could use a Dunn this year but the cavalry is on the way in Young, Quentin, Gonzalez and Upton. They by far have the best OF prospects in baseball(2 in AAA).

If the Snakes make a trade it will be for pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    they are not trading Webb, there have no replacement on a team already short of starting pitching. They maybe could use a Dunn this year but the cavalry is on the way in Young, Quentin, Gonzalez and Upton. They by far have the best OF prospects in baseball(2 in AAA).

If the Snakes make a trade it will be for pitching.
    The folks on the DBacks board are probably throwing out ideas on how they can trade one of their young Outfielders for Arroyo or Harang.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    The folks on the DBacks board are probably throwing out ideas on how they can trade one of their young Outfielders for Arroyo or Harang.
    Honestly the trade talk stuff gets really idiotic when you don't even look at the strengths and weaknessess of the other team at the major league and minor league level. The Snakes have to be looking to acquire pitching, not trade it away.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Honestly the trade talk stuff gets really idiotic when you don't even look at the strengths and weaknessess of the other team at the major league and minor league level. The Snakes have to be looking to acquire pitching, not trade it away.
    Exactly, if it wasn't for that we wouldn't have Arroyo for some outfielder whose name escapes the top of my head right now.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    Exactly, if it wasn't for that we wouldn't have Arroyo for some outfielder whose name escapes the top of my head right now.
    trades are made when each team has what the other wants(or needs). In the case of the Snakes they last thing they need is another OF. They are going unload their entire current OF in the next 2 years and replace them with much cheaper and better players.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    Funny, and bang on.

Why would any team trade a cheap #1 starter for marginal stuff. If you wanted Webb, you would have to trade so much primo young talent that it wouldn't make sense. Other teams aren't simply lying around looking to improve the Reds. If you want to trade for a #1 starter, you either have to get one on the verge of FA, or trade for one prior to him becoming a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?