Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dragons' Janish proves he's more than defensive shortstop

Dragons' Janish proves he's more than defensive shortstop

Dragons' Janish proves he's more than defensive shortstop
    2004 draft pick leads Midwest League in hitting, batting .390 with 4 homers.
    By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

DAYTON — Opening a quaint, four-game homestand tonight, the Dayton Dragons are on a streak like none of their predecessors over the last three seasons, coming off a road trip during which they won six of eight.

They have a sweet-hitting shortstop, too.

"I've just been fortunate so far," said Paul Janish, who is hitting .390 entering today's game against Cedar Rapids.

When the parent Reds drafted Janish in the fifth round out of Rice University in 2004, they knew he could field. They wondered if he could hit.

How's this: Through the first month of the Class A Midwest League season, Janish is comfortably leading the league and has shown some power as well, smacking four home runs and knocking in 14 runs. He also had to sit out a few games, starting the season with a pulled hamstring, then suffering a slight twisted ankle. Saturday, he had to leave the game following a collision at home plate.

That's nothing like what happened June 5, when Janish, running out a grounder to short, was knocked off his feet by a first baseman reaching for a wide throw. Janish put his right hand down to brake his fall, subsequently tearing the tendons in his elbow, necessitating Tommy John surgery.

Not only did his 2005 season end prematurely, it cost him a chance to move up in the organization, which decided his 208 at-bats last season weren't enough. Returning to Dayton bothered him a little.

"Without a doubt," Janish said. "I didn't anticipate it, especially since I was working out with the Class AA team in spring training. It's just one thing you have to deal with."

Janish was hitting just .245 when he was hurt last season, but in the four games leading to his injury, he was 7-of-13 (.538) with four runs scored and eight RBIs.

"Some time (last year) about mid-May, I kind of figured something out," Janish said. "It's come back again."

That should mean Janish won't finish the season in Dayton. No shortstop ahead of him is hitting the way he is, and his fielding is of major league quality already.

"I can't worry about what everybody else is doing," Janish said. "I try not to get caught up in that."

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2157

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...08dragons.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dragons' Janish proves he's more than defensive shortstop

one month a career makes

A fifth-round college draftee in his third pro season raking in the Midwest League. Who knew?

I've always liked Janish because he can field and walk. This year he is hitting well, but before I goet too excited he needs to be moved up instead of feasting on much younger pitching.

He's 23 and in A ball - he should be raking. I'll believe something "clicked," as he said, when he does it against higher competition.

Until then I still view him as a excellent field, limited hit player.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

more than just a defensive shortstop-- he's a pitching prospect

At least we are not discussing him "Not Raking" at Low A!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

There's no one else but teenagers who struggled in rookie ball to play SS in Dayton. Eymann has apparently been moved to 3B. So Janish will either have to wait until Rosales is healthy and switch spots, drop a 24-year-old Tiburcio back down just as he's been doing well in Sarasota, or try a 2B like Griffin or DeJesus over there.

But with a prospect like this, I wouldn't be against trying to jump him to AA. That enables Rosales to stay at High-A, and even with Jesus H. Machado in the house, Janish can probably hold his own there. Luis Bolivar and Gary Patchett are just soldiers, and Javier Colina is 27, better as a 3B anyway, and not hitting much to boot.

Turn Off Ads?