Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who advised Bowden to get Eddy E?

Who advised Bowden to get Eddy E?

At the time it seemed as if Eddy E. was a throw in to the Rob Bell/Ruben Mateo trade. Was there a certain Reds scout who advised Bowden to get Texas to throw EE into the mix? Just curious. I know we talked about it at the time, but i'm guessing with time things have gotten a little clearer. Anybody know the particulars?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who advised Bowden to get Eddy E?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper
    At the time it seemed as if Eddy E. was a throw in to the Rob Bell/Ruben Mateo trade. Was there a certain Reds scout who advised Bowden to get Texas to throw EE into the mix? Just curious. I know we talked about it at the time, but i'm guessing with time things have gotten a little clearer. Anybody know the particulars?
    It has been written that a High Schooler named Jim Coombs told Bowden that the only way he'd sign with the Reds is if they acquired EdE in a trade first.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    It has been written that a High Schooler named Jim Coombs told Bowden that the only way he'd sign with the Reds is if they acquired EdE in a trade first.
    Interesting. I always assumed that the Rangers felt they were neck deep in young third basemen with Hank Blalock and Mark Teixeira waiting to develop.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

EE was on the Rangers South Atlantic team in 2001, chances are it was a regional professional scout and a cross checker confirmed it. But it was Gary Hughes running the pro scouting department then.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

OK, you win, I did.

It was DanO. He advised that they have this raw green infielder who they should flip because Rob Bell was gonna be a star...................

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    OK, you win, I did.
    Promotion for you.
    Go Gators!

All dyslexics must untie!

I'm guessing Almarez
    Never overlook the obvious

how great would it be if it actually was Dan O who suggested trading EE for the Rangers?

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    That Coombs guy sure is something, I tell you what.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I thought Bowden had said at the time that Ed E was the key to the trade, but people blew it off. Maybe it wasn't, maybe it was people in here talking up Ed E being the prime trading piece.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Haunted by walks

Keep your hands inside the Wayback Machine and don't step on any butterflies ...

From the Cincinnati Post, June 16, 2001:

It was only logical that Bowden would deliver a basket full of roster moves Friday, given the unlikely return to the active roster of Griffey, Larkin and Boone all on the same day.

But that doesn't account for the surprising trade of right-hander Rob Bell to the Texas Rangers for outfielder Ruben Mateo and infielder Edwin Encarnacion, a questionable transaction for an organization desperate for pitching and top-heavy with outfielders.

Bell, a disappointing 0-5 with a 5.48 ERA in nine starts this year, was thrilled for the chance to start anew with an organization that still recognized his potential. He was also admittedly puzzled by the trade, given the Reds' oft-stated intention to stockpile young pitchers.

''Jim had just been saying to me a week ago how Chris Reitsma and myself were the future of this team and the ones and twos for a long time,'' Bell said. ''That's just the way this game works out.''

The chameleon-like Bowden revised that assessment in a hurry once he found out that he could get Mateo, a top prospect and long a Bowden trade target.

''Obviously, we're making an opinion on what we think Bell's going to be,'' he said. ''If we thought he was a one or a two, we wouldn't make this deal.''

It seems like only yesterday that Bowden was trading second baseman Bret Boone and pitcher Mike Remlinger to Atlanta for Denny Neagle, Michael Tucker and Bell, proudly proclaiming Bell was the key to the trade. He was so sure of Bell's bright future they he showed him off on the Reds' winter caravan.

Two years later, it looms as a good trade gone bad. Bell is on his way to Texas, Neagle is pitching for the Rockies and Boone leads the American League in RBI.

Bowden explained his latest trade by professing the need to keep quality position players in the organization because of the impending free agency of Dmitri Young and Alex Ochoa. Besides, he said, the suddenly pitching-rich Reds have plenty of quality young pitchers in the persons of Dennys Reyes, John Riedling, Brian Reith, Lance Davis and Danny Graves.

EE barely gets a mention, it was a trade for a 5 tooler

As usual for Jimbo
    Go Gators!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Besides, he said, the suddenly pitching-rich Reds have plenty of quality young pitchers in the persons of Dennys Reyes, John Riedling, Brian Reith, Lance Davis and Danny Graves.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Besides, he said, the suddenly pitching-rich Reds have plenty of quality young pitchers in the persons of Dennys Reyes, John Riedling, Brian Reith, Lance Davis and Danny Graves.

Turn Off Ads?