Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Would You Pay To Win the NL CentraL?

How Much Would You Pay To Win the NL CentraL?

The NL Central could be the toughest and deepest division of all the divisions in baseball. And while the Reds have been a feel good story the first quarter of the season, it remains to be seen in the starting pitching, bullpen and Griffey can hold up an entire season.

Okay, let's say the Reds are in contention come the July trading deadline. How much should Krvisky give up to upgrade the roster for the stretch run? How much of the future does he give up to aquire a arm or two among the likes of Barry Zito, Dontrelle Willis, Livan Hernandez, Odalis Perez and others?

With new ownership committed to turning things around and bring winning baseball back in Cincinnati and hopefully bring more fans back to the ballpark, how far should they go to acquire additional talent without the longterm sacrifices?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    In Wayne We Trust

Re: How Much Would You Pay To Win the NL CentraL?

Hopefully, we'll find out what they'll do. The Reds should have some left over money from Casey for Williams debacle. Plus, ownership has already stated they will spend if we're in contention. They obviously need another reliever, preferbly a closer. Another starter would be nice too, but I think that depends how the health of the staff is in July. I highly doubt Paul Wilson will be effective enough to make a playoff run. It's also obvious that Dave Williams and Elizardo aren't going to get it done all season too. Getting Zito is not going to happen. Too much money, plus the Mets want him. Dontrelle would be great, but what would the Marlins want in return. Who knows what will happen.....atleast we're talking about it positively for a change.

The problem becomes not so much spending money, but rather whom would you trade. While I think most people are willing to trade anyone in the farm system, who do we have that others really want?
    Would you be willing to trade Bailey, Wood, etc for a chance at one year in contention?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

in the fwiw category, the guys on XM MLB radio this morning were speculating that the Reds would actively pursue Zito.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    in the fwiw category, the guys on XM MLB radio this morning were speculating that the Reds would actively pursue Zito.
    They should. Provided they could work on an extension.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The Mets' injuries are scaring me. I actually don't think that a Zito-type pitcher is out of the question for this front office provided the team is still performing in June and July. But it's going to be hard to match a Mets offer if they're desperate to fill out their starting rotation, plus they play in a canyon while we play in a cave and which is going to be more appealing to a pitcher.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I'd be careful "paying" anything outrageous.

Historically teams that make a huge upswing one year (after being bad for many years) fall to earth the following year.

Part of the growth process this year should also include knowledge of the teams limitations, 20% of the season can give you hints of that as well as fan the flames that your teams has no limitations.

I wouldn't want to rob Peter to pay Paul at the expense of future early on in the game, nor would I want the Reds to dabble in highly paid free agents to be so they can get toasted in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

Historically teams that make a huge upswing one year (after being bad for many years) fall to earth the following year.

Part of the growth process this year should also include knowledge of the teams limitations, 20% of the season can give you hints of that as well as fan the flames that your teams has no limitations.

I wouldn't want to rob Peter to pay Paul at the expense of future early on in the game, nor would I want the Reds to dabble in highly paid free agents to be so they can get toasted in the playoffs.
    The only things that can be shed on the Reds of particular value are Kearns and Lopez. I would be deeply against trading Enc. for Zito, but either one of the first two guys above, I'd be fine with trading for Zito. But, as far as I'm concerned, the A's can raid the minors if they want.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

But, as far as I'm concerned, the A's can raid the minors if they want.
    The Reds minor leagues is the equivalent of a Lennon Band album, there's some gems in there and then there are those Yoko songs.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Personally, for a half season rental of any pitcherr, which is the likelihood of all we will get (really what pitcher entering FA wants to pitch in this park?), I would not trade Bailey, Bruce or Wood in the minors or Edwin in the majors. Anyone else, would just be a "who are we getting in return" question as to who to give up.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Personally, for a half season rental of any pitcherr, which is the likelihood of all we will get (really what pitcher entering FA wants to pitch in this park?), I would not trade Bailey, Bruce or Wood in the minors or Edwin in the majors. Anyone else, would just be a "who are we getting in return" question as to who to give up.
    I would be open to dealing any of those guys if the pitcher in return has youth (i.e., Willis).

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

This is a great post WOY. I want to see the new ownership prepare this organization to succeed consistently going forward.

We are not going to be a larger payroll type of team. If we accept that reality, then we have to understand that the best way to bring consistent success to the Reds is to build from within. Perhaps this team can stay in contention through July. At the deadline, we ship Bailey and Wood for Zito. The team flames in August/September, and then what do we have? No playoff appearance. A limited payroll to bring in FA talent. A minor league system that has lost the few chips it had left. In this scenario, we aren't a playoff team and would not be one for the forseeable future.

I will enjoy the ride while it lasts. It is incredibly fun to watch this team win. If they can keep it up for a while, that just might be enough to bring back some of the fans. I still do not believe they are a World Series (or even playoff) contender at this time. With that in mind, I think it would be very damaging to bet the few chips we have on an incredible long shot.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    The only things that can be shed on the Reds of particular value are Kearns and Lopez. I would be deeply against trading Enc. for Zito, but either one of the first two guys above, I'd be fine with trading for Zito. But, as far as I'm concerned, the A's can raid the minors if they want.
    I would argue in the right package, Larue could also return something of value. Not a pitcher the caliber of Zito, but certainly someone useful. And while Kearns is the popular choice by many, exactly why would be interested in shedding Felipe?

The Reds won't give much talent up, so they won't get much in a return. I can see a Radke, Westbrook, Joe Mays, Silva, Livan, Lilly, type player. At the very best it might be a Jason Schmidt. He's a free agent after this year.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    exactly why would be interested in shedding Felipe?
    Quite a few chalk this up to the "Boras factor" and how it would be to keep him, the problem being even if you move phillips over, then who plays 2B? A richie/Hattie platoon at 1B and a Richie/Freel at 2b might be manageable

Turn Off Ads?