Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Griffey with Strained Bicep Tendon?

Griffey with Strained Bicep Tendon?

Anyone else see this?

KFFL.com

May 8 The Cincinnati Post's Lonnie Wheeler reports Cincinnati Reds OF Ken Griffey Jr. (knee) has a strained biceps tendon.
    Am I moron? This is in his knee or his arm?

As I look again it says this
    15-day DL as of Apr 13, 2006 (Strained biceps tendon in right knee)
    I know there are other threads out there on KGJ, but I figured this would get lost.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 05-09-2006 at 01:07 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey with Strained Bicep Tendon?

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    Anyone else see this?

KFFL.com

Am I moron? This is in his knee or his arm?

As I look again it says this

I know there are other threads out there on KGJ, but I figured this would get lost.
    I brought that up in a game thread at some point. It's the same info foxsports gamecast had. I think it's a mistake.

While this article is a bit deep, it does show that there is indeed a biceps tendon in the knee (as well as in the shoulder). I couldn't find anything that was simply written.

Tendinitis Masquerading as Knee Joint Pain

By Ben Benjamin, PhD

Question: Which muscle tendon units often masquerade as medial, lateral or posterior knee ligament or joint injuries?

a. rectus femoris, vastus lateralis and vastus medialis
    b. gastrocnemius, plantaris and adductor magnus
    c. semitendinosis, semimembranosis, biceps femoris and gastrocnemius d. all of the above

Answer: c - semitendinosis, semimembranosis, biceps femoris and gastrocnemius

The semitendinosis, semimembranosis, biceps femoris, popliteus and gastrocnemius are the muscle tendon units responsible for knee flexion. The semitendinosis and semimembranosis are located on the medial aspect of the knee, while the biceps femoris is located at the lateral aspect. Collectively known as the hamstrings, they work together to flex the knee. The superior portion of the gastrocnemius muscle tendon unit, located at the back of the knee, and the popliteus muscle also assist in the initiation of knee flexion.

All of these tendinous attachments may become injured and give rise to a confusing type of knee injury. Pain felt medially, just posterior to the medial collateral ligament, may mean injury to the semimembranosis has occurred; pain at the medial upper tibia, or slightly behind the medial aspect of the knee in the tendon body, may indicate hamstring tendinitis of the semitendinosis; and pain at the head of the fibula, or slightly superior, may be caused by tendinitis of the biceps femoris.

Since this tendon attaches to the fibula head (the same bony prominence the lateral collateral ligament is attached to), it can be difficult to differentiate these injuries unless the practitioner is skilled at testing both ligaments and tendons. Superficial pain felt directly behind the knee may be caused by strain of the popliteus muscle or the gastrocnemius muscle at its broad upper tendon attachment.

Bear in mind that when a tendon is injured, no swelling or limitation in flexion and extension of the knee occurs. Swelling at the knee usually indicates a ligament injury, or injury to some structure within the joint capsule, such as the medial or lateral meniscus.

Continuing to educate ourselves in the most current information is vital in helping our profession grow in skill and stature. Identifying if a client has a superficial tendon or ligament injury (which can be treated with myofascial or friction massage techniques) is an important part of a therapist's education. On the other hand, trying to treat a client with knee pain caused by torn cartilage or a cruciate ligament tear (for which hands-on therapy will not help) will leave the client confused, frustrated and disappointed. Treating the wrong structure because of limited knowledge is an all-too-common error.

I continue to learn, and encourage you to do the same.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Ah--I get it, those Biceps Tendons....For a minute there, I thoughts Rickeys Hendersons was writing our injuries reports.

It is difficult for us non-medical people to comprehend right off, I had to look it up too for the same reasons you have all mentioned.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I think it needs that femoris part to be accurate though. Everything I looked at when I was looking at this before indicated that the tendons generally were named for the muscle they connected. A strained bicep tendon would be in the arm. Biceps femoris would be in the leg.

When I was doing the search for a better definition, I noticed that there were many hits regarding athletes... from football, to baseball, to cycling. Almost all were knee strains/injuries.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?