Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnasti
    Posts
    678

    Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    This guy is really beginning to tick me off. In his four losses the reds have only scored 2 runs. Management needs to send him down to the minors and teach him to hit so he can help himself, otherwise, there is no way he can win if he is getting 0.5 run support.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    So it's Brandon's fault the offense only shows up on days Arroyo or Harang finds the mound?

    Come on....

    Claussen is arguably our 3rd best arm, yet gets no support, so we're gonna send him down to Louisville b/c the offense can't score when he's on the mound?
    Last edited by Highlifeman21; 05-10-2006 at 12:58 AM.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnasti
    Posts
    678

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    So it's Brandon's fault the offense only shows up on days Arroyo or Harang finds the mound?

    Come on....

    Claussen is arguably our 3rd best arm, yet gets no support, so we're gonna send him down to Louisville b/c the offense can score when he's on the mound?
    You could not detect the sarcasm in my post?

    Sarcasm is sneering, jesting, or mocking a person, situation or thing. It is often used in a humorous or ironic manner and is expressed through vocal intonations such as over-emphasizing the actual statement or particular words.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman


  5. #4
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    Quote Originally Posted by NastyBoy
    You could not detect the sarcasm in my post?

    Sarcasm is sneering, jesting, or mocking a person, situation or thing. It is often used in a humorous or ironic manner and is expressed through vocal intonations such as over-emphasizing the actual statement or particular words.

    Thank you Mr. Dictonary/Thesaurus

    No, couldn't detect your sarcasm, which means it wasn't used effectively....

    Care to try again?

  6. #5
    Member The Baumer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,295

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    I can't believe you are insinuating that Brandon needs to hit home runs. Can everyone just back off the guy and let him pitch? It isn't his fault that the offense can't score. Why should he have to change his already solid plate approach just to make up for his team's weak offense? Doesn't anyone remember what they did to Dunn in 03??

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnasti
    Posts
    678

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Thank you Mr. Dictonary/Thesaurus

    No, couldn't detect your sarcasm, which means it wasn't used effectively....

    Care to try again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Thank you Mr. Dictonary/Thesaurus

    No, couldn't detect your sarcasm, which means it wasn't used effectively....

    Care to try again?
    YES. I WILL TRY AGAIN. I am now sorry I used any literary devices in my post.

    Okay... here is the summary, try to keep up.

    Reds have not scored many runs in Claussen's losses.

    And I stated:

    This guy is really beginning to tick me off. In his four losses the reds have only scored 2 runs.

    This would be irony. The incongruity here is the fact that I am blaming Claussen for the lack of run support... which in fact he has little control over in most instances unless he falls in advancing a runner through a sacrifice.

    To send a pitcher to the minors because a lack of hitting prowess instead of lack of pitching prowess would be another example of irony.

    Definition of Irony... for those that do not know:
    The use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning.

    In Summary:

    I really think that Claussen should be sent to minors. (here I am stating the opposite of my literal meaning.)

    Management needs to send him down to the minors and teach him to hit so he can help himself. (here I am stating the opposite of my literal meaning.) A starting pitcher in the National League of Major League Baseball has little expectation of hitting. To send a pitcher to the minors due to a lack of hitting prowess.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman


  8. #7
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,072

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    I picked up the sarcasm about 1 sentence in. Once he started talking about going to the minors to learn to hit, right there is where it all kicked in.

  9. #8
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    Quote Originally Posted by NastyBoy
    YES. I WILL TRY AGAIN. I am now sorry I used any literary devices in my post.

    Okay... here is the summary, try to keep up.

    Reds have not scored many runs in Claussen's losses.

    And I stated:

    This guy is really beginning to tick me off. In his four losses the reds have only scored 2 runs.

    This would be irony. The incongruity here is the fact that I am blaming Claussen for the lack of run support... which in fact he has little control over in most instances unless he falls in advancing a runner through a sacrifice.

    To send a pitcher to the minors because a lack of hitting prowess instead of lack of pitching prowess would be another example of irony.

    Definition of Irony... for those that do not know:
    The use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning.

    In Summary:

    I really think that Claussen should be sent to minors. (here I am stating the opposite of my literal meaning.)

    Management needs to send him down to the minors and teach him to hit so he can help himself. (here I am stating the opposite of my literal meaning.) A starting pitcher in the National League of Major League Baseball has little expectation of hitting. To send a pitcher to the minors due to a lack of hitting prowess.
    Let's do the time warp again.....

    Hello 7th grade English.....

    Thank you for the refreshing course!

  10. #9
    OCS Prez Cant Touch This's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    638

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    I thought the sarcasm was pretty obvious myself. Just sayin...
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

    www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

  11. #10
    Member Topcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    whew this thread was exhausting lol.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnasti
    Posts
    678

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Let's do the time warp again.....

    Hello 7th grade English.....

    Thank you for the refreshing course!
    LOL. Sorry bout the English lesson. I majored in English. I just assumed the absurd post was enough to establish I was not serious.


    Bottomline: Lack of run support = losses.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman


  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    138

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    Quote Originally Posted by NastyBoy
    Bottomline: Lack of run support = losses.
    So does a 1.63 WHIP and a 5.79 ERA. Too bad he really is our third best starter.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    413

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    Just my 2 cents, the sarcasm was quite obvious in my opinion, and well used, I got a kick out of it myself. Our offense hasnt really been scoring much recently for any pitcher though, top of the order (freel) sure has been slumping. I got a good feeling about tomorrow though
    We'll win it all next year...

  15. #14
    Member CTA513's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,716

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblue
    So does a 1.63 WHIP and a 5.79 ERA. Too bad he really is our third best starter.


    Before Arroyo came here he was our second best starter.
    Last edited by CTA513; 05-10-2006 at 11:51 AM.

  16. #15
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,603

    Re: Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

    This is the year to see what he's got..if he sucks we know..then we can try him in the pen.
    Go Gators!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25