Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jason Kendall: MLB 'has turned into a badminton league'

Jason Kendall: MLB 'has turned into a badminton league'

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2439321

Associated Press

TORONTO -- Oakland Athletics catcher Jason Kendall ripped Major League Baseball after dropping his appeal of his four-game suspension on Tuesday.

Kendall was suspended and fined for charging Los Angeles Angels pitcher John Lackey in a game on May 2.

"Major League Baseball has turned into a badminton league. They told me I didn't have any shot of getting my suspension knocked out," Kendall said.

Kendall said his agent, general manager Billy Beane and the players union told him he probably wouldn't have his suspension reduced.

"The fact that they won't knock anything off is embarrassing to the game because the game has changed. Now you can't really defend yourself. I understand I have to be suspended, but it's not like I went out and picked a fight. Nothing would have happened if he wouldn't have said anything to me, if he wouldn't have taken three steps hard at me," Kendall said.

Lackey threw a pitch to Kendall that started out high and inside, then sharply broke back toward the plate in the sixth inning of Oakland's 10-3 win. Kendall backed out of the batter's box, then suddenly charged the mound after Lackey said something about his elbow pad.

Kendall charged the mound and wrestled Lackey to the ground, emptying both dugouts and bullpens.

"I get called out by Lackey. He calls me out and disrespects me and I'm supposed to sit here and have him yell at me? So basically what Major League Baseball is saying is that any big league pitcher out there can yell at somebody and get fined $2,000. That's what the fine was," Kendall said.

MLB's latest disciplinary action against Kendall comes after he received a four-game suspension in August 2004 while with Pittsburgh for a similar scuffle when he charged the mound in a game against Colorado after being hit by now-teammate Joe Kennedy. The pitcher received a five-game suspension for the incident.

"I think the big thing was this was my fourth time, and all four of the fights I've been into has been about sticking up for myself or sticking up for my pitcher. I guess they don't look at that," Kendall said. "People that are making decisions have never been in a situation like that. They wait for situations like this to happen so they can have this big power. And that's what they did. They have the power right now."

The 31-year-old Kendall, who played 150 games last year in his first season with the A's, entered Friday's game batting .244 with no home runs and seven RBI.

With Kendall dropping the appeal, Oakland was able to call up catcher Jeremy Brown from Triple-A Sacramento without having to drop somebody from its 40-man roster. Oakland manager Ken Macha said Brown wasn't likely to play. Milton Bradley is expected to take Brown's place on the 25-man roster once he's activated from the DL this week.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Basement-Dwelling Blogger JinAZ's Avatar

Re: Jason Kendall: MLB 'has turned into a badminton league'

"I get called out by Lackey. He calls me out and disrespects me and I'm supposed to sit here and have him yell at me? So basically what Major League Baseball is saying is that any big league pitcher out there can yell at somebody and get fined $2,000. That's what the fine was," Kendall said.
    That is hysterical. Kendall isn't helping himself here...

My favorite quote on the incident:

"I guess he caught Jason at the wrong moment, which is not hard to do."
    --A's third baseman Eric Chavez, on the John Lackey/Jason Kendall confrontation which resulted in a brawl (San Francisco Chronicle)

(via BP)
    -j

J-Kendall is pretty thug-core.

He should have taken the bat and got his moneys worth
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

"The fact that they won't knock anything off is embarrassing to the game because the game has changed. Now you can't really defend yourself. I understand I have to be suspended, but it's not like I went out and picked a fight. Nothing would have happened if he wouldn't have said anything to me, if he wouldn't have taken three steps hard at me," Kendall said.
    First off... somebody should give Jason a bit of a history lesson. Baseball has always had fights, but not with the frequency we see today. Yep, the game has changed... for the worse with all the mound-charging. Hey Jason, takes more of a man to turn away than it does to fight. Did Mr. Lackey's words hurt that bad... did they cause bruises and/or swelling to your sensitive ears or brain?

Jason, words like yours and of course actions like yours are what is embarrassing to the game. Nothing would have happened if you didn't charge the mound either, brainiac. Then, like a true idiot, you make it worse by uttering the comments in this article. Way to go, Jason. You are an idiot!

p.s. ask your Dad what the game used to be like when he played. That even makes your comments more pathetic.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Taken out of context, if I had to guess Kendall's age based on his comments, I would say 13...16, tops.

MLB... Arrested Development City

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Principal Watson (is he still in charge of this type of stuff?) replies, "Now Jason, all you had to do was ignore the comments and get back in there and hit. Be the more mature person and consider the other person immature for trying to pick a fight. But you did not do that, so I have to give you three days in school suspension. Do it again, and you'll get three days out of school."

Jason muses, "hmmm, go punch someone, get three days off to miss school with permission? Righteous!"
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

Na-na-na-na-boo-boo.

Pay attention to the open sky

No, the NFL has become badminton... Its touch league football for the QBs.

I think baseball has leaned too heavily towards the hitter these days allowing armor to be used so they can own the plate.

More bean balls would bring the game back to how it used to be.

I hear Lackey talks all the time and isnt highly thought of but this is the exact reason why. He got into Kendell's head and will probably ALWAYS talk to Kendell everytime he see's him. Kendell is a baby from what I can tell of the incident.

Lot less fights today than there used to be and that's because a hitter knows it's an automatic suspension if they charge the mound.

Letting the pitchers hit would go a long way to stopping a pitcher who likes to talk trash from the mound.

I also hate the warning crapola.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Ex-Tree

On one hand, I have to agree with Kendall. In the AL, the pitcher can throw at hitters without having the tables turned. How would Lackey behave in the NL, when he would eventually have to take his turn at the plate?

I also agree that players should not be allowed to wear that armor garbage while batting--it takes away some of the edge that a pitcher deserves.

The solution would be to eliminate the DH and batting armor. That would make things a bit more even.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

I've never liked Jason Kendall. I think he is a punk. He takes full advantage of body armor. He has probably been hit by more strikes than anyone in baseball. His OBP is HBP driven.

Get rid of the body armor, get rid of warnings and bring back Drysdale and Gibson. Then Kendall will see just how much baseball really HAS changed. Jawing at other players has always been part of baseball, but the repect entitlement is relatively new.

On another note, man has Jason Kendall had a disappointing career. He was supposed to be all-world when the Buc-o's brought him up, but he never came close to living up to the hype.

Can he be stopped?

I wonder how many homers Barry would have if he wasn't allowed all his armor? He is like the frickin balck knight up there in the box.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Ex-Tree

Barry Bonds and the Holy Grail?

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Turn Off Ads?