Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with Freel?

What's wrong with Freel?

Anyone have any clue as to why Freel is struggling so bad? I think he's down to .228.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's wrong with Freel?

Perhaps all the people who have said he doesn't need to play everyday are right. Perhaps its just a slump.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

He's been slumping in May. His OBP is still .371, though. He'll start hitting again.

He's been in the lineup every day for over a month. For him to be effective, he needs rest.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Funny how the team that was this offensive powerhouse has taken a collective break. Be nice to add a shot in the arm by the name of Griffey.

It would be good to see Griffey in the 3 hole tonight. But I am doubting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1
    Funny how the team that was this offensive powerhouse has taken a collective break. Be nice to add a shot in the arm by the name of Griffey.
    And yet, we're still a sliver ahead in first place. Now that's nice. Given the weather report of rain, I'm guessing Griffey won't be activated even if he's "okay" at this point. Hopefully tomorrow. And I'd like to see Milton recover from his knee and pick up from where he was in ST and the 1st two starts of the year.

It is because he isn't that good. He isn't a .300 hitter although he will always draw walks. The more he plays the more his weaknesses are exposed. He is kind of like Bip Roberts. Freel is more like a 3-4 day a week guy.

To top it all off, his car was broken into.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...redsnotes.html

Why is it when things are going bad, they invariably get worse?

Ryan Freel, 0 for 12 on the recently completed trip to Colorado and Arizona, believes it.

His car was burglarized during the day Tuesday at a mall.

"They popped the hood, snipped the alarm system and stole $5,000 to $6,000 worth of stereo equipment," he said. "They snipped and stripped so much my wife couldn't even get the car started."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Not an everyday player. It was a dream and people wanted it so badly to be real, it isn't.

Sad thing is I believed it. But this year is the ultimate sign to me. He got tired and he pressed. He is swinging at anything close. I think he has been late on pitches more than any player I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Cedric; 05-10-2006 at 01:11 PM.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Yea he's slumping but i think he's one of those players who if they play everyday Pitchers start to see how to stop him.

He's a spot player for this reason. And was doing so well early because of it. Add in a bad month and you see Freel Struggling.

I also think that JR not batting at #3 is making it so Freel see's alot more STRIKES instead of trying to get him to ground out on balls.
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

Freel also hasn't had a SB in 2 or 3 weeks it seems.

Its strange how when this team faces pitchers that throw strikes they struggle, yet, when pitchers can't throw strikes the team does good. They can't effectively get on base without help it doesn't appear. Although, its still early and it could just be a slump. But, this team has relied on walks entirely to much to produce runs early this season.

The time to deal Freel is now, before every team gets the memo that he can't play everyday.
    Go Gators!

I just don't buy the argument that Freel is not an "everyday player." In 2004 he had 505 at bats, hit .277, OBP of .375, 37 steals. Last year he had fewer at bats because of injury, but did well again.

He is in a horrible slump right now, and maybe pitchers have adjusted to him, but there is nothing in his background to indicate that his performance is meaningfully better playing in reserve role.

I agree that he has been injury prone and perhaps they can't count on him for 600 at bats, like the best lead-off hitters will get. But once he gets on track, I would like him out there every day.

Freel did have 505 ABs in 2004 but he only started 128 games, that is not what I consider an everyday player. Freel is at his best when he is used as a backup that plays 3-4 games a week and pinch hits as often as possible.

Turn Off Ads?