Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Griffey to first base?

  1. #1
    Kmac5 KoryMac5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waterloo, NY
    Posts
    3,681

    Griffey to first base?

    Someone asked Griffey if he'd consider switching positions.

    Griffey didn't appreciate the question. "You gonna switch positions?" he asked


    Quote from the Enquirer.

    I think we can put Griffey to first to rest.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    Someone asked Griffey if he'd consider switching positions.

    Griffey didn't appreciate the question. "You gonna switch positions?" he asked

    I've been thinking about it because I know my skillset isn't compatible with my current position. In order to fully use my skills, I need to switch positions. You should think about doing the same, Mr. Griffey.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  4. #3
    Member CTA513's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,716

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    Someone asked Griffey if he'd consider switching positions.

    Griffey didn't appreciate the question. "You gonna switch positions?" he asked


    Quote from the Enquirer.

    I think we can put Griffey to first to rest.
    Griffey to DH or we will keep seeing Griffey to DL.

  5. #4
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    Someone asked Griffey if he'd consider switching positions.

    Griffey didn't appreciate the question. "You gonna switch positions?" he asked


    Quote from the Enquirer.

    I think we can put Griffey to first to rest.
    It might be time to put Griffey to rest. If he cannot see that his days as a GG centerfielder are over, then he will only keep hurting the team with his DL stints.

  6. #5
    Plays The Right Way Hap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    796.357
    Posts
    1,718

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    It might be time to put Griffey to rest. If he cannot see that his days as a GG centerfielder are over, then he will only keep hurting the team with his DL stints.
    And his salary.

    Anyone care to do a cost-benefit analysis of Griffey's salary since 2000?
    .

  7. #6
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,350

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    And his salary.

    Anyone care to do a cost-benefit analysis of Griffey's salary since 2000?
    I'm sure if you boil it down to the soup and nuts of the business of baseball that it would be quite hard to put a net value on his visibility on this team. How many times has someone gone to a game specifically to see Griffey when he was playing? I doubt it's possible to quantify it. I'm not suggesting its necessarily a positive number if it could be extrapolated from the information available, just that it is difficult to know the mindset of the casual fan and Griffey's influence on them.

    Now if we are talking win shares and the like, thatís another story.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  8. #7
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,507

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    Someone asked Griffey if he'd consider switching positions.

    Griffey didn't appreciate the question. "You gonna switch positions?" he asked


    Quote from the Enquirer.

    I think we can put Griffey to first to rest.
    He could have answered that better

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,058

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Has anyone else here done different things than exactly what they were hired to do to help the company???

    This isn't exactly like he's cleaning the toilets at the ballpark, he's still an MLB player batting 3rd, just playing a different position. Get over yourself.

  10. #9
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,267

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    Has anyone else here done different things than exactly what they were hired to do to help the company???

    This isn't exactly like he's cleaning the toilets at the ballpark, he's still an MLB player batting 3rd, just playing a different position. Get over yourself.
    Hmmm ... sure, ok.

    I'll use that same exact phrase, but with a different person and we'll rewind a few months:

    This isn't exactly like Dan O'Brien's cleaning the toilets at the ballpark, he's still the Reds' General Manager, just going by his plan in the Baseball Operations Deptartment. Get over yourself.

    Sounds like a winning strategy now doesn't it?
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,058

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792

    This isn't exactly like Dan O'Brien's cleaning the toilets at the ballpark, he's still the Reds' General Manager, just going by his plan in the Baseball Operations Deptartment. Get over yourself.
    I think I'm missing something, how does this compare?

    I think a better comparison is John Allen. He changed positions to help the organization (whether it was his choice or not). He is still doing his work on the business side to help the team, which is his specialty, not baseball.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 05-10-2006 at 02:58 PM.

  12. #11
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,614

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    Griffey to DH or we will keep seeing Griffey to DL.
    He'll be going there anyway, he hurt himself this time on a swing.
    Go Gators!

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,058

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    He'll be going there anyway, he hurt himself this time on a swing.
    I think he said he hurt himself fielding flyballs during pregame, then finished it off on that bad swing. But I know what you are saying, the guy is just fragile. He had to have surgery a few years ago bc when rounding the bases during his HR trot he hurt himself.

  14. #13
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,267

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I think I'm missing something
    I think so too.

    As a Reds fan, I want the organization to do what is in the best interests of the ballclub in order to win more games. Key phrase right there: winning games.

    It order to achieve a plan of winning more games, it was the team's best interests to fire Dan O'Brien and bring in a competent General Manager. They did just that, and the organization as a whole has improved and become more conducive to you know ... actually winning more games, both now and in the future.

    Likewise, in order to achieve a plan of winning more games, it is in the team's best interests to move Griffey out of center field, and into either left field or first base. It sure would be harsh to have an unexpectedly good season, only to fall a few games short of the playoffs and know that the run differential swing in having Griffey play center field instead of Freel/Denorfia is about 25 runs for the season. All those runs that could be saved on defense just vanish into thin air when Griffey's playing center field.

    Move Griffey to left field, or move him to first base. I don't care which, but move him to one of those positions. Whichever position (LF or 1B) the team moves Griffey to, have Dunn play the other. Install Denorfia and Freel into center field and magically watch the team's overall defense improve drastically.

    A simple, internal change that prevents more runs and wins more games for the team. Sounds like that follows in the plan of winning more games to me.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,058

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    I think so too.

    As a Reds fan, I want the organization to do what is in the best interests of the ballclub in order to win more games. Key phrase right there: winning games.

    It order to achieve a plan of winning more games, it was the team's best interests to fire Dan O'Brien and bring in a competent General Manager. They did just that, and the organization as a whole has improved and become more conducive to you know ... actually winning more games, both now and in the future.

    Likewise, in order to achieve a plan of winning more games, it is in the team's best interests to move Griffey out of center field, and into either left field or first base. It sure would be harsh to have an unexpectedly good season, only to fall a few games short of the playoffs and know that the run differential swing in having Griffey play center field instead of Freel/Denorfia is about 25 runs for the season. All those runs that could be saved on defense just vanish into thin air when Griffey's playing center field.

    Move Griffey to left field, or move him to first base. I don't care which, but move him to one of those positions. Whichever position (LF or 1B) the team moves Griffey to, have Dunn play the other. Install Denorfia and Freel into center field and magically watch the team's overall defense improve drastically.

    A simple, internal change that prevents more runs and wins more games for the team. Sounds like that follows in the plan of winning more games to me.
    OK, we are on the same page. I was confused with the DanO analogy (I'm glad he was completely fired, but I dont want that for Griffey, just a position change). I would think the Reds would be the dumbest team in baseball to put him in CF. If he is going to cry about being in LF, then fine, let him cry. If he refuses to play, then let him sit, we already play enough with out him. I'd love to see him at first, but I'll settle with LF. Then move Dunn to 1st.

  16. #15
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,267

    Re: Griffey to first base?

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    OK, we are on the same page. I was confused with the DanO analogy. I would think the Reds would be the dumbest team in baseball to put him in CF. If he is going to cry about being in LF, then fine, let him cry. If he refuses to play, then let him sit, we already play enough with out him. I'd love to see him at first, but I'll settle with LF. Then move Dunn to 1st.
    We're on the same page, and I may have misunderstood your first post. If so, my apologies.

    But yes, the team is instantly better if Griffey is in the lineup and playing either first base or left field instead of center field. But sadly it's not going to happen, and when Griffey finally comes off the DL my thread in the ORG will become a living, breathing visual aid in how much he's killing the Reds defensively by playing center field.

    It will be painful watching the trend develop as it develops, but based on the past, we already know where the trend will ultimately land.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25