Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hall of Fame Game on 5/15

Hall of Fame Game on 5/15

Thursday, May 11, 2006

HALL GAME: The Reds will bring nine minor-leaguers along Monday to play in the Hall of Fame game against the Pittsburgh Pirates in Cooperstown, N.Y.

Left-hander Chris Michalak, right-handers Carlos Guevera and Abe Woody, catcher Chris Denove, infielders Jeff Bannon, Luis Bolivar and Eric Eymann and outfielders Alex Sanchez and Chris Dickerson will make the trip.

Major League Baseball would like the starting lineup to be in the game long enough to get at least one at-bat.

"The last thing players want to do on an off day is play," Narron said. "But I think when they take the tour Sunday, they'll appreciate it."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...605110381/1071
    Does this mean that the players named above will be in addition to some of the players on the 25-man roster or instead of them? They must be taking more than nine players.

In addition, I read somewhere that Milton might start this game as part of his rehab assignment, but his name isn't mentioned.

I'm confused. (yeah, yeah... I know. what's new?)
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hall of Fame Game on 5/15

Milton will start the game [or at least pitch in the game]

He wants it to be his last [and technically first] rehab start and he wants to start on May 20th in Detroit [hello pitcher friendly park]

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph

He wants it to be his last [and technically first] rehab start and he wants to start on May 20th in Detroit [hello pitcher friendly park]
    So the list of players in the article above is not inclusive. I wonder what other players will participate.

I know when I lived in upstate NY, this game was a BIG DEAL to those of us who didn't get to make the trip to the big ballparks very often. There's a ticket lottery because the demand is so high. I also remember how disappointing it was when no big names made the trip (though I guess I can't blame them).

Anyway, this article confirms that Milton will start and gives us an update on his condition and expected date of return to the rotation:

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Milton has plan to return May 20
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Left-hander Eric Milton has it mapped out: Exhibition game against Pittsburgh Monday, then back for real May 20 against Detroit.

Doesn't he think he could use another rehab start in between?

"I don't," he said. "But it's not up to me."

The plan Milton outlines could be the one the Reds use.

"We'll see how he does and how he feels," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.

Milton, 2-1 with a 6.50 ERA, has been on the disabled list since April 24 surgery on his left knee.

He tested the knee in an 85-pitch simulated game Wednesday.

"It felt normal," he said. "No problems. It was a good sign. We'll see how it feels (today)."

Milton pitched the simulated session a day after taking pitcher's fielding practice. He had no lingering effects from that.

The added benefit Milton is getting is his arm doesn't feel like it usually does in early May.

"My arm's rested," he said. "It feels great. That's the nice thing."

Milton threw all his pitches Wednesday.

"I was making stuff up," he said, "dropping down (side arm)."

Milton said the plan is for him to throw five innings in the exhibition game with Pittsburgh.

"They want me to get up and down (between innings)," he said.

Milton's pitch count is where it needs to be. He threw 80 pitches in his previous bullpen session before Wednesday.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...605110382/1071
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Is this game on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Is this game on TV?
    Not that I know of.

My interpretation of this article is that some regulars will be going; it just doesn't say which ones. Perhaps it's a voluntary thing and they won't know until after Sunday's game.

05-11-2006

Farmhands enlisted for exhibition
    By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

Days off are a valuable commodity during baseball season, and sacrificing one of them to play another game isn't high on the preferred list of activities.

That's what the Reds will do Monday when they play the Pirates in Cooperstown, N.Y., but manager Jerry Narron said he expects those who might not be enthusiastic about the side trip to come around eventually.

"The players, the last thing they want to do right now on an off day is play a game, but I think Sunday when they get in the Hall they'll appreciate it," said Narron. "The guys that have not been there, I'm sure, will appreciate it."

Narron has been twice; once when managing in Class AA and again when the Texas Rangers played in the game in 1999.

Don't expect the Reds to keep a lineup of regulars out there very long. They'll take nine players from various minor league affiliates to fill out the roster. They are: pitchers Chris Michalak (Louisville), Carlos Guevara (Chattanooga) and Abe Woody (Sarasota), catcher Chris Denove (Dayton), infielders Jeff Bannon (Louisville), Luis Bolivar (Chattanooga) and Eric Eymann (Dayton) and outfielders Alex Sanchez (Louisville) and Chris Dickerson (Chattanooga).

Bannon, 26, has caught the eye of the big-league coaching staff before. He appeared in 17 spring training games as an extra player (hitting .400) and is off to a good start this season. He's hitting .303 in 10 games with Louisville after hitting .290 in 11 games with Chattanooga.

"Every time I've seen Jeff Bannon play, he has played well," said Narron. "You talk to anybody on our coaching staff, he's a favorite not only of mine but of everybody on our coaching staff because every time we see him he does something good."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....605110321/1027

If it is anything like a split squad spring training game, then they have to start at least 4 regulars.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Not that I know of.
    No radio either...

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph

nooo! I am in detroit that night...just kidding...kinda
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Sounds like the team is going, whether or not they play. Actually, I'm glad; whether they want to or not, every player should see the Hall of Fame. I think when all is said and done, they will be happy that they did. I wish the weather was going to be better for them though.

HOF game plans: Manager Jerry Narron expects that most of his regular players will get just one at-bat in Monday's Hall of Fame game against the Pirates. Cincinnati will be considered the visiting team in the exhibition.

"We've got some guys who won't even see the field," Narron said. "They'll see the batters' box and that'll be it."

Regular second baseman Brandon Phillips will start the game at his other position, shortstop, and play a few innings. Phillips has played just one inning this season at shortstop.

Showers and cool temperatures are expected in Cooperstown, N.Y. Pitcher Eric Milton is still expected to start in a test for his surgically repaired left knee. But the club will be mindful of the weather so that it doesn't cause Milton any setbacks.

Taking the tour: Although several players weren't thrilled about losing a scheduled off-day to play an exhibition game on Monday, many anticipated the opportunity to tour the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum on Sunday evening.

"It'll be great to see all of the historical things that have been done in this game," catcher Jason LaRue said. "It's one of the only places you can see that stuff. I'm just going to try and take it all in."

Among the items on exhibit will be the ball Milton threw to notch a Sept. 11, 1999, no-hitter for the Twins; the bat Scott Hatteberg used for a walk-off homer that secured the A's 20th consecutive win in 2002; and several items belonging to Ken Griffey Jr.

Aurilia will get to see the bat he used in 1997, while with the Giants, to hit the first grand slam in Interleague Play. But because he won't get to make the trip, Mercker won't be able to see the ball from his April 8, 1994, no-hitter for the Braves.

"Richie said he's going to take a picture of it for me and send it to my cellphone," Mercker said. "I've already seen it. I saw it when I gave it to them."
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Haunted by walks

According to MLB.com, the game will be carried on MLB radio.

Is there any truth to the rumor I heard that about the home run derby? I heard they are going to make Dunn bat right handed because of the short park dimensions.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by NastyBoy
    Is there any truth to the rumor I heard that about the home run derby? I heard they are going to make Dunn bat right handed because of the short park dimensions.

No, but they're going to make him swing at pitches out of the strike zone.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003

Turn Off Ads?