Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SI: The People's Record

SI: The People's Record

From SI's mag today:

Maybe you will root for Albert Pujols to hit 62 home runs this season and assign that total greater value than Bonds's 73 or McGwire's 70 or Sosa's 66, even if the record book does not. Call it the people's record
    What do you guys think? If he his a number above 61, but below 73, will people feel that this is a record? Will he approach 60 with anticipation? I don't think it will be celebrated obviously like it has in the past, but will 'people' feel this is a true record if he break it?

For me, I would take it as the record without an asterik. I dont hate the guy (yet) just because he is the definition of a Reds killer. Not his fault he is good.

Discuss

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: SI: The People's Record

I guess it could stir up some interesting discussions if he were to hit 62 this year.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I would count it. With McGwire and Sosa's crap they pulled at the Congressional hearings it all but sealed their fates in my mind as steroid users. Bonds of course has admitted to taking the Clear which makes him automatically guilty.

I agree with the "people's record" sentiment. I think Albert chasing 61 would be a much bigger story this year than Bonds chasing 714. Outside of SF, I'm not sure too many people care about Bonds' pursuit but if Pujols is in the 50's in September, I think people would go nuts...similar to the summer of McGwire and Sosa.

Need quite a lot of these *
    Go Gators!

Dunn is on pace for 62.

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Dunn is on pace for 62.

Just sayin'
    Good point! Maybe Pujols and Dunn could be the "clean" version of McGwire and Sosa.

I'd count it. Why not?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I'd count it. Why not?
    Saying if he finishes between 61 and 73, would you feel it is the record? Or as SI puts it, the "people's record."

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    I agree with the "people's record" sentiment. I think Albert chasing 61 would be a much bigger story this year than Bonds chasing 714. Outside of SF, I'm not sure too many people care about Bonds' pursuit but if Pujols is in the 50's in September, I think people would go nuts...similar to the summer of McGwire and Sosa.

I'm not too sure people of SF give a rat's tail about Bonds either. It's a Catch 22: You wanna be there for history and be a part of it... Do they really want to root for Bonds?

I think Pujols could be the feel good story of this season already blinded by all the steroids talk we could ever want.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    Saying if he finishes between 61 and 73, would you feel it is the record? Or as SI puts it, the "people's record."
    Pujols will get great respect if he breaks 61, but there is always some reason that Ruth's record is more of a feat...small ballparks, juiced balls, watered down pitching, today's emphasis on fitness, etc.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I say it's the record, without the asterisk.

The season has been 162 games for a while now. They need to move on, especially as records are not determined by number of ABs but just by the best record... period. They can be accomplished in one season, one career span, or one lifetime... whether a guy played 10 years or 20 (and more often than not, a guy will have more hits or HRs if he plays 20 years than if he plays only 10).

So what's the difference? None in my eyes.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 05-11-2006 at 05:36 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff
    Pujols will get great respect if he breaks 61, but there is always some reason that Ruth's record is more of a feat...small ballparks, juiced balls, watered down pitching, today's emphasis on fitness, etc.
    Truthfully, did Ruth's era have no advantages? I don't believe it for a second.

It's always something.

Every era has something going for it.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Truthfully, did Ruth's era have no advantages? I don't believe it for a second.

It's always something.
    Babe Ruth was only playing against white people. It's funny how often people seem to forget that.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?