Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Olney: Cards Considering Stewart/Hunter

Olney: Cards Considering Stewart/Hunter

Per MLBtraderumors.com

Olney: Cards Considering Stewart/Hunter
    I haven't addressed the Cardinal outfield situation since March 5th. Since then, many things have changed:

Kevin Mench is hitting .300/.328/.591 with 9 home runs. He's been driving in a lot of runs as the Rangers' sixth place hitter. What's more, Jason Marquis has stunk it up (6.00 ERA) and John Koronka came out of nowhere to toss four quality starts in seven tries. Can't see any kind of Mench for Marquis swap now.

Also, Jim Edmonds is hitting .240/.333/.417, and Will Carroll thinks he may have to shut it down for a while to get completely right again.

Toss in a strained elbow for Sidney Ponson (who has a 2.81 ERA) and a sore back for Mark Mulder, and the Cardinals can't afford to deal a starting pitcher right now.

The need for an outfielder persists. So Taguchi isn't hitting. Larry Bigbie was activated yesterday, and he deserves a shot. According to Cardinals Diaspora, a recent Buster Olney report indicates interest from Walt Jocketty in Torii Hunter or Shannon Stewart. As noted in the post, Stewart is more their style. He makes $6.5MM this year and is off to a .295/.352/.384 start. PECOTA expects his age 32 season to finish around .272/.335/.406. Is that really any better than the .264/.334/.423 season projected for Bigbie?

The Craig Wilson option remains a viable one, and Luis Gonzalez's .832 OPS ain't bad. Cards fans dream of Miguel Cabrera, but Dontrelle Willis seems more likely to be dealt this summer. Haven't seen any smoke on that one for a while, though the Cards did show interest. Anthony Reyes remains the best trading chip, as he has a 3.62 ERA and 35/5 K/BB ratio at Triple A. About a week ago, Viva El Birdos noted some interesting developments surrounding a Reyes start.

A few more possibilities, based on my own speculation: Eric Hinske, Reggie Sanders, Alfonso Soriano, Emil Brown, Brady Clark, Jose Cruz Jr., Matt Lawton, David Dellucci, and Victor Diaz.

If I were GM? I'd probably start with Lawton but see what it would take to get Reggie back."

Hmmm hope we can do something to help us out if that happens!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Olney: Cards Considering Stewart/Hunter

Good. Hopefully they are dumb enough to deal Reyes for Stewart or Hunter.

Womack is available.
    Go Gators!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

If Reyes is out there available - hopefully Krivsky is in on that and offering Kearns.

I don't think Reyes is available.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    If Reyes is out there available - hopefully Krivsky is in on that and offering Kearns.
    If we stay in the hunt no way Krivsky trades Kearns, and I don't think trading him now is the best option. We have him under our control for 2 more years after this, so I think the best time to trade him would be in the next 2 seasons.

Hunter has pretty much punched his ticket out of Minnesota....he will be dealt somewhere this year....

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Hear, hear.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    If we stay in the hunt no way Krivsky trades Kearns, and I don't think trading him now is the best option. We have him under our control for 2 more years after this, so I think the best time to trade him would be in the next 2 seasons.
    If the Reds can get Reyes for Kearns... you make that trade. I would be shocked if Jocketty would even consider making that deal though. I would be very disapointed if he did. You don't trade a pitcher like Reyes.

Turn Off Ads?