Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sutcliffe gives rambling, slurred interview on Padres broadcast

Sutcliffe gives rambling, slurred interview on Padres broadcast

LINK

By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer
    May 11, 2006

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Rick Sutcliffe, a Cy Young award winner and ESPN baseball analyst, gave a rambling, slurred interview during the local television broadcast of the Brewers-Padres game Wednesday night.

Sutcliffe's microphone eventually was cut off. Craig Nichols, general manager of Channel 4 San Diego, on Thursday described the interview as embarrassing.

It was the second time in three weeks that comments during a broadcast at Petco Park drew attention. On April 22, Former Mets and Cardinals All-Star Keith Hernandez, now a broadcaster for New York, said that women "don't belong in the dugout" after spotting Padres massage therapist Kelly Calabrese high-fiving Mike Piazza after he hit a home run.

Sutcliffe, who used to broadcast Padres games for Channel 4 San Diego, dropped by the broadcast booth late in Wednesday night's game and was warmly welcomed by announcers Matt Vasgersian and Mark "Mud" Grant, a former big league pitcher.

The trio first talked about golf and actor Bill Murray, who was with Sutcliffe at the game. The conversation turned to Sutcliffe's daughter, who, the pitcher said, has been accepted to Harvard Medical School.

That's when Sutcliffe began to meander.

"She's on her way to Africa tomorrow," Sutcliffe said. "How about that? Over there on one of those missions, man. George Clooney -- you been reading about all that, you been seeing that?"

To which Vasgersian responded with surprise: "George Clooney?"

"Yeah, he's up there with the Congress, he's trying to get everybody to go over there and solve that thing."

Sutcliffe then said: "I'm getting yelled at from Bill Murray in the back. I need to go. I'd much rather hang with you guys."

Grant thanked Sutcliffe for joining them.

"Mud, you're the best, man," Sutcliffe replied. "Anybody on Earth that doesn't like Mark Grant, they've got problems."

Sutcliffe then asked Vasgersian, "Matty, what are you still doing here in San Diego?"

Vasgersian tried to steer the conversation to baseball, but Sutcliffe persisted.

"No, no, no, Matty -- everybody on Earth has been trying to steal you -- the Dodgers, the Cubs, ESPN. What are you still doing here?"

Sutcliffe's microphone apparently was cut off then, because a voice in the background can be heard saying: "They turned it off."

Neither Sutcliffe nor ESPN executives could be reached for comment on Thursday.

Nichols said Sutcliffe "used remarkably poor judgment. I'm embarrassed. I'm embarrassed for the Channel 4 team, and I'm embarrassed for the viewers. They're trying to watch the latest win. This is all I'm talking about today. The focus should have been on that win."

Nichols said the station received dozens of e-mails and phone calls about the interview.

Based on Sutcliffe's background, "under any other circumstance, I think any other broadcast booth in the world would have invited him in," Nichols said. "He started talking about things that weren't of interest. It wasn't what we wanted on the air."

After Wednesday night's game, Sutcliffe and Murray visited the Padres' clubhouse.

When Sutcliffe introduced Murray to infielder Mark Bellhorn, who was seated, the actor hugged the infielder tightly and the two tumbled onto the ground.

"You were a Cub!" Murray said.

Sutcliffe won the NL Rookie of the Year in 1979 with the Dodgers and the Cy Young in 1984, the year his Cubs lost to the Padres in the NL championship series.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Sutcliffe gives rambling, slurred interview on Padres broadcast

I wanna kisth you, Sthuzie

I have wondered about this several times when I heard him broadcasting on ESPiN.

Must've gone to the Joe Namath school of sports commentary.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Hire him

Go Gators!

I've heard much worse from the Reds' beat writers during the second inning.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Will this cost him his job?

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I dont see the problem. I blame the broadcast team for putting a drunk on the air, not Sutcliffe.

Yeah, I agree. He was partying with Bill Murray and having a high time of it all. Having a few (or more than a few) beers isn't against the law.

Whoever the radio producer/director is should have deflected him away and not let him on the air. Seeing that the guy was lit up shouldn't be difficult.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Where is Rick's canned apology, where he apologizes for his behavior, apologizes for the embarassment he caused ESPN and his family, and makes a point to say that he does not normally behave in this manner?

It's gotta be coming soon.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    I wanna kisth you, Sthuzie

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Where is Rick's canned apology, where he apologizes for his behavior, apologizes for the embarassment he caused ESPN and his family, and makes a point to say that he does not normally behave in this manner?

It's gotta be coming soon.
    From espn.com....ask and ye shall recieve.
    ESPN baseball analyst Rick Sutcliffe apologized Thursday night for a rambling, slurred interview he gave Wednesday during the local television broadcast of the Brewers-Padres game in San Diego.

Sutcliffe, who used to broadcast Padres games for Channel 4 in San Diego, was interviewed by Padres announcers Matt Vasgersian and Mark Grant.

During the interview, Sutcliffe asked Vasgersian, "Matty, what are you still doing here in San Diego?"

Vasgersian tried to steer the conversation to baseball, but Sutcliffe persisted.

"No, no, no, Matty -- everybody on Earth has been trying to steal you -- the Dodgers, the Cubs, ESPN. What are you still doing here?" he said.

Then Sutcliffe's microphone was apparently cut off.

Craig Nichols, general manager of the station, said: "[Sutcliffe] used remarkably poor judgment. I'm embarrassed. I'm embarrassed for the Channel 4 team, and I'm embarrassed for the viewers."

Sutcliffe issued this statement: "I appreciate the opportunity to address the situation that occurred last night in San Diego. While spending a week off in California, I planned a day of golf and attendance at a ball game as a fan with friends. I want to assure everyone that I was not drinking and driving. Towards the end of a long day on the golf course and evening at the game, I made a brief visit to my former co-workers in the Padres television broadcast booth.

"I was offered the opportunity to make a guest appearance on the air. At that time, I exercised bad judgment and accepted, even though I was not in optimum condition to go on live television. I regret that lapse in judgment and my decision and I sincerely apologize," he said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2442045

I thought it was hilarious...I can just see Murray standing in the doorway making faces at the whole group...what ever happened to the day when people weren't offended by EVERYTHING!

Geez, old baseball guy plays golf all day, has a bunch of beers and get's suckered into an on-air interview with his old workmates...and the powers that be are shocked that he was a buzzed up mess...did anyone take a look at him before they handed him the mic? Not to hard to tell when a big guy has had too many...

Geez, old baseball guy plays golf all day, has a bunch of beers and get's suckered into an on-air interview with his old workmates...
    Otherwise known as a Day with Joe Nuxhall.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Otherwise known as a Day with Joe Nuxhall.
    Wow, woy. That was cruel (no offense).
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?