Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Fan" sues LA Angels of Anaheim over Mother's Day promotion

"Fan" sues LA Angels of Anaheim over Mother's Day promotion

How much do you have to hate yourself to sink to such a low level?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines

By Dave McKibben, Times Staff Writer
    May 11, 2006

A Los Angeles psychologist who was denied a tote bag during a Mother's Day giveaway at an Angel game is suing the baseball team, alleging sex and age discrimination.

Michael Cohn's class-action claim in Orange County Superior Court alleges that thousands of males and fans under 18 were "treated unequally" at a "Family Sunday" promotion last May and are entitled to $4,000 each in damages.

The targets of the suit are the team and the Corinthian Colleges. Corinthian oversees Bryman College, which has an Anaheim campus and sponsored the event, its name printed on the bags.

Thousands of the red nylon bags were given to women 18 and older attending the Sunday Mother's Day game.

Angel officials said they had not seen the suit, filed May 4, and could not comment. But Angel spokesman Tim Mead said the team was proud of its promotions and giveaway days.

"Historically, we have tried to appeal on those special days that might be nationally noted holidays or special occasions," he said. "We have tailored programs or giveaways accordingly. In the past, we've given the moms roses…. We're trying to satisfy fans of all ages, genders and, most importantly, the baseball fans, so there's something for everybody."

Cohn, who could not be reached for comment, complained to the Angels about unfair treatment in a June letter asking the team and college to pay $4,000 in damages to all males attending the game. The Angels responded by sending Cohn four tote bags and a letter stating that the team "ran out of the item that day and had to order more."

"They claimed they didn't have any more bags, but my client said there was a mountain of bags stacked so high a show dog couldn't have jumped over them," said Alfred Rava, Cohn's San Diego-based attorney.

Angel officials said Cohn's was the only complaint about the giveaway.

This year's Family Sunday promotion, to be held this weekend, will not specifically cater to women 18 and older. The first 25,000 fans — male or female — 18 or older will be given a red "Mother's Day Ladies Tote Bag."

Mead declined to say whether the change to this year's promotion was made in response to Cohn's complaint.

"It was done after a lot of internal discussions," he said.

Rava said the giveaway still violated some fans' civil rights because those under 18 will be denied a bag based on their age.

"By looking at the bag, you can see a 17-year-old male or female would be just as happy with it as an 18-year-old male or female," Rava said. "I don't know why the Angels and Bryman College had a seemingly contrived cutoff for this ageless bag."
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "Fan" sues LA Angels of Anaheim over Mother's Day promotion

I thought there was now some kind of law against frivilous (spell?) lawsuites.

And how can this possibly be considered a class action suite?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

"By looking at the bag, you can see a 17-year-old male or female would be just as happy with it as an 18-year-old male or female," Rava said. "I don't know why the Angels and Bryman College had a seemingly contrived cutoff for this ageless bag."
    But if there isn't a "contrived cutoff" at some age, one-day-old infants will be given a bag. How young is too young? Wherever the line is drawn, the argument could be made that it should be one day younger, and then one day younger than that, etc.

On the other hand, 17-year-old mothers will theoretically be left out of this promotion, while childless 18-year-old men will get a Mother's Day bag. Whatever happened to souvenir helmet day? Didn't that discriminate against the old folks in attendance?

You're right macro, there has to be a cut-off point somewhere. If you're going to a promo game, and there is a set demographic that has been announced before the game as to them getting the freebie, then I don't see what basis you have to complain.

This guy's saying, the bag would look good on a guy, it's not fair that a guy can't get one. Actually it is fair, because the team told you ahead of time that you weren't getting one, and you should have known that before you got to the park.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    But if there isn't a "contrived cutoff" at some age, one-day-old infants will be given a bag. How young is too young? Wherever the line is drawn, the argument could be made that it should be one day younger, and then one day younger than that, etc.

On the other hand, 17-year-old mothers will theoretically be left out of this promotion, while childless 18-year-old men will get a Mother's Day bag. Whatever happened to souvenir helmet day? Didn't that discriminate against the old folks in attendance?
    I remember that Helmet Day was for kids 14 and under. I was 14, and the folks at Riverfront refused to give me one! (I was a big kid--around 6'0", 180 lbs.) My dad got a little upset when the helmet person said, "He's not getting one because I don't think he's 14." But a supervisor happened along, and asked what the problem was. I ended up with the helmet.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I hated when they gave the Sean Casey and Pokey Reese Beany Babies to kids 14 and under too, but I didn't sue the team because of it. I just complained a lot.

Some adults are so childish... they set such great examples for our children.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone

Some adults are so childish... they set such great examples for our children.
    Yeah, part of growing up, usually in adolesence, is learning how to accept that you are not always going to get your own way and that it is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Yeah, part of growing up, usually in adolesence, is learning how to accept that you are not always going to get your own way and that it is okay.
    ...unless you have enough money to hire a team of lawyers. Then, you cry and whine until everything goes your way.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    "They claimed they didn't have any more bags, but my client said there was a mountain of bags stacked so high a show dog couldn't have jumped over them," said Alfred Rava, Cohn's San Diego-based attorney.
    So, just how high do show dogs jump? The dogs I've seen on the Westminster dog show look elevation-challenged to me.

Actually, I've gone to games where there has been a giveaway to a select portion of the population and have commented that someone would file a lawsuit about it someday given the litigious nature of the modern day world.

Pay attention to the open sky

The promotions arent an unalienable right granted to us in the Bill of Rights...

I hate stupid people... Forgive me God but I hate them.

I remember going down to Riverfront with my dad back in the '80's and being given a Reds backpack on backpack give away day, which was for kids 14 and under....I was 18 at the time. Of course, I didn't give it back either.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Idiot.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu
    I remember going down to Riverfront with my dad back in the '80's and being given a Reds backpack on backpack give away day, which was for kids 14 and under....I was 18 at the time. Of course, I didn't give it back either.
    DISCLAIMER: Big Klu and BigKlu are not the same person!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    DISCLAIMER: Big Klu and BigKlu are not the same person!
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I hate those Senior Citizen discounts. I don't care which war you fought in, Gramps. I'm entitled to 30 cents off at Furr's cafeteria just like you are.

Maybe I should give this Michael Cohn guy a call...
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?