Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official "Coffey for Closer" Thread

Official "Coffey for Closer" Thread

Sign on the ....... line if you're in favor.

Seriously, how many more saves does Weathers have to blow before we put a guy in that role that has a 95+ heater and an ERA under 1.00?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Official "Coffey for Closer" Thread

I stood for Weathers until tonight. He isn't lights out, but seemed to get the job done. And honestly, I think you're best pitcher has to be the guy that comes on in the 7th or 8th with runners on to slam the door shut. That's when you need lights out. But after tonight, Weathers struggles 2 nights straight and got some defensive help in Arizona that made it close. Now I'm persuaded that Weathers has good enough stuff to set up Coffey, but only if Weathers would pitch a clean 7th or 8th. With runners on and Coffey closing, I'd like to see Shack come in play Coffey's role.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

"We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

I have nothing bad to say about Weathers. He had a few bad breaks a couple of nights in a row, but he's a solid set up man and veteran reliever. Although he has done a decent job as closer based on his numbers, he is miscast as closer on this team. Coffey is a much better candidate for the full time job now and into the future. Management needs to go ahead and commit to him and just name him closer. I wish they had done so at the beginning of the year in manner Boston did for Papelbon. I think the results would have been similar because I believe Coffey has arguably better stuff than Papelbon. Plus, it would have avoided the awkwardness that is going to result when Narron switches their respective roles in the bullpen. That day is coming soon, right? It even seemed obvious to the DC broadcasters tonight.

Weathers career WHIP going into this year is 1.518. Clearly you expect better out of the guy you call upon to close out a ballgame.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Bring Coffey in with a one-run lead... if he pitched the 8th, let him pitch the 9th too.

Let Weather come in if the lead is two/three runs... unless the heart of the order is coming up.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Coffey is clearly the best pitcher in the Reds pen right now. The problem is, he's the ONLY reliable pitcher in the Reds pen these days. There really isn't a wrong time to pitch him, because he's the best option at every point the bullpen needs to protect a lead.

He should be the closer on this ballclub, but they need to get at least 2 more reliable arms out there. Mercker has been awful, White has been awful, Weathers is suddenly shakey, and Belisle is stuck waiting for games that Ramirez and Williams pitch as the "bail out" option.

Is it time to get Calvin Medlock or David Shafer up to the big league club? Certainly neither one can be worse than White or Mercker.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Why can't Shack be the set-up guy?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Why can't Shack be the set-up guy?
    Narron likes his lefty vs. lefty match ups.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    Narron likes his lefty vs. lefty match ups.
    Just ask Frank how well the lefty vs. lefty match up worked tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Just ask Frank how well the lefty vs. lefty match up worked tonight.

Junior owns lefthanded pitchers though. Remember, he had a lefthanded father pitching to him when he grew up.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Junior owns pitchers.

ask narron how the lefty vs lefty matchup worked last night.....see mercker
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Moving Coffey to closer is just one of the moves they should be making in the Pen.
    Get rid of White. Get rid of Hammond.
    Let Weathers become just another guy in the pen. He is a pretty good reliever - but I really don't think he is closer material.

Todd Coffey is the closer of the future, that is no doubt. However, I stand by Weather's from last night's game, because it really wasn't his fault. It was David Ross's fault. If you watched the game, or were there, you know what I mean. With Ryan Zimmerman at the plate and Damian Jackson pinch running, Weathers threw a ball that should have been caught that allowed Jackson to steal second. Error number one. Then, with Jackson on third, Matthew LeCroy hit a fly ball to right field. Kearns caught it, threw home and Jackson was easily out...if Ross would have caught the ball. But no, he fumbled it and the game was tied. So all in all, it wasn't Weather's fault this time. But I agree, Todd Coffey for closer...in July.
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2006: 7-2
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2007: 2-0
    Reds record while I'm in attendance in 2008: 0-1
    "I wish the stadium was filled up every night." - Bronson Arroyo, Cincinnati Enquirer - February 9, 2007

Turn Off Ads?