Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Narron acknowledges mistakes.

Narron acknowledges mistakes.

From todays Enquirer:

But thankfully, Griffey was around for the Reds. Narron had considered pinch-running for him when he doubled in the eighth.

"That might have been the only right decision I made all night," Narron said.

I like Narron. I think he's a solid manager that is clear to the players and puts them in good positions to perform. By the way, there is no way egomaniac and Stanford grad Bob Boone could have ever made a comment like that.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Narron acknowledges mistakes.

I imagine he regretted the double switch that took Dunn out of the lineup.

Overall, I agree with your point. Narron seems to be able to approach most things from an analytical and objective standpoint. I don't think he "plays favorites" or "goes with his gut" the way alot of managers do and then stand by every decision (good or bad) like it's the 10 Commandments. Narron seems more flexible.

I think the biggest mistake is not putting a pink slip on Rick Whites locker.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    Well hopefully he learns from it and doesn't screw up that royally again.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Pinch running and double switching are over-rated and over-used.

Larry Bowa always says that a manager should only double switch if he intends for the reliever to pitch more than one inning. Otherwise, it is an advantage to have the pitcher's spot come up in the late innings if you have solid pinch hitters, because the opposing manager never knows who exactly is coming up.

I say that pinch running should only be used in stealing situations. Why waste a player when he might just score on a base hit or a home run anyway?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    From todays Enquirer:

But thankfully, Griffey was around for the Reds. Narron had considered pinch-running for him when he doubled in the eighth.

I like Narron. I think he's a solid manager that is clear to the players and puts them in good positions to perform. By the way, there is no way egomaniac and Stanford grad Bob Boone could have ever made a comment like that.

Now I like him a lot more, too.

Narron>Miley>Boone and probably better than a lot of guys out there who make big bucks (Baker comes to mind).

Doesn't mean he's good though.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Man Pills

It should never have come down to being an issue of removing Dunn from the game to begin with.

The field should have been messy with Day-gore way earlier. No other high-powered offense in MLB would have been so severely handcuffed by that junkballer.

That's the lesson I hope the team took away from last night's game--never overlook any pitcher. I honestly believe that the Nats wanted that game much more than the Reds, played a better game, but the Reds simply out-talented them. I'd rather be like the Cards: out-talent AND outplay the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    Larry Bowa always says that a manager should only double switch if he intends for the reliever to pitch more than one inning.
    Larry Bowa?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Thankfully, they're going to be able to do that every once in a while this year. In years past, they haven't been. They would have lost that game 7-1 in 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    It should never have come down to being an issue of removing Dunn from the game to begin with.

The field should have been messy with Day-gore way earlier. No other high-powered offense in MLB would have been so severely handcuffed by that junkballer.

That's the lesson I hope the team took away from last night's game--never overlook any pitcher. I honestly believe that the Nats wanted that game much more than the Reds, played a better game, but the Reds simply out-talented them. I'd rather be like the Cards: out-talent AND outplay the opponent.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu
    Larry Bowa?
    from a strategy standpoint I never had any issues with Bowa as a manager, his problem seemed to be that nobody could stand to be around him.

Two managers that I always have thought were outstanding from a strategy standpoint were Davey Johnson and Bobby Valentine (I realize he has other issues).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Narron's biggest screw-ups were 1) Keeping Dave Ross in the game and letting him hit in the 9th, and 2) Having Dave Ross sacrifice bunt.

The team is carrying *three* friggin' catchers. Get a decent Pinch Hitter up there instead of wasting an out.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

You make it sound so easy. Any pitcher on any given night can have a good game, and I think Day pitched well. It is ok to give the opponent credit and not always blame inability on the Reds to perform.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    You make it sound so easy. Any pitcher on any given night can have a good game, and I think Day pitched well. It is ok to give the opponent credit and not always blame inability on the Reds to perform.
    Zach Day shouldn't be in the majors.

It is ok to give the opponent credit and not always blame inability on the Reds to perform.
    Gawd I hope so, the game is harder than it looks, a good team loses 1/3rd of it's games, you can see something different in the game every day, yet so many people act like they are surprised when that occurs.

Zach Day shouldn't be in the majors.
    And yet there he was... BTW the Nats changed his arm angle when they got him back.

On the above note Tom Browning should not have been in MLB.

Turn Off Ads?