Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Soto going home....

Soto going home....

According to Scott Springer, per Lance's blog:

Mario Soto is heading home, leaving as Louisville's pitching coach. Ted Powers will take over the pitching coach duties for the AAA bats for the remainder of the season.

I wonder what the story is here? I thought for sure Soto would stick it out the entire year, perhaps w/ Vern Ruhle still out, he was getting fustrated by not being brought up to the Reds to fill in on the Major league level. Merly speculation there, as it could be any number of things. Perhaps he just realizes being a full time pitching coach isn't in the cards for him, and he didn't want to hurt the AAA team if he couldn't motivate himself to give his all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Soto going home....

I was hoping he would stick with the Reds. People have been saying how he has helped out players, he even helped Coffey out with that change up.

Maybe hes leaving for a while for personal reasons? I hope hes not leaving because hes upset hes not with the major league team.

Ted Power? He's been coaching in the Reds minor league system for how many years now, and what have we got to show for it? I love the guy as a person, he was a lot of fun when he was here in Dayton with the Dragons, but I'm not sure he's a great pitching coach.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I remember when it was announced that he was going to Louisville that it would be a temporary assignment. I like seeing Soto back with the organization. Hopefully, he will return next spring.

Ted Powers was teaching HSers at Champions baseball academy in Cincy just a few years ago... he couldnt even help my HS's pitchers (including myself, brownings' instructions were much more beneficial) how is he gonna help pros?

You guys keep talking about Ted Powers. Who's Ted Powers?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    You guys keep talking about Ted Powers. Who's Ted Powers?

Austin's brother.

'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Austin's brother.
    Duh...what was I thinking?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Maybe Mario just isn't ready to make a full season commitment. I mean back in the winter when he decided to come to spring training he was just committing to spring training. I think it's admirable he's stuck around for a month and a half extra but he probably has personal business to attend to. How many of you could just decide to pack up and go on the road for that long with little prior warning? He probably has personal committments and family matters. Some people just don't like to live the professional baseball lifestyle and I can't blame them; it's rough. Hopefully he can keep working with the organization in Spring Training or maybe just rove around the minors sometime during the year but we'll have to wait and see.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala
    I remember when it was announced that he was going to Louisville that it would be a temporary assignment. I like seeing Soto back with the organization. Hopefully, he will return next spring.
    Soto was indeed temporary. When I was in Louisville I was able to see him for about 10 mins. He had not spoken to his wife in two weeks. He was worried about his "business interests" as well.

Power to AAA doesn't make much sense but there are not a lot of quality guys available mid season. Power was fired by the Reds a few years back after working in Dayton. He only wanted to work with a handful of the "prospects" and thought the other pitchers were a "waste of time". Those quotes come from Ted Power when I saw him at Champions and also from a source with the Reds.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

He only wanted to work with a handful of the "prospects" and thought the other pitchers were a "waste of time".

Doesn't that pretty much describe most coaches? I know in my experience it does. Unfortunately, I fell in the waste of time category.

Just what does a pitching coach do? How does a Dave Duncan (who never pitched) have so much success? Does he leave the technical stuff (throwing sliders,change-ups,etc to others, while concentrating on the "art" of pitching?

Scott Breeden.
    Larry Rothschild.
    Don Cooper.
    Mark Wiley.
    Leo Mazzone.
    Larry Shepard.

If this was the case, Ben Hayes and Brad Lesley would have been "the dudes" if they had gotten the shot to be a pitching coach.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Soto was indeed temporary. When I was in Louisville I was able to see him for about 10 mins. He had not spoken to his wife in two weeks. He was worried about his "business interests" as well.

Power to AAA doesn't make much sense but there are not a lot of quality guys available mid season. Power was fired by the Reds a few years back after working in Dayton. He only wanted to work with a handful of the "prospects" and thought the other pitchers were a "waste of time". Those quotes come from Ted Power when I saw him at Champions and also from a source with the Reds.
    Actually with what the Reds have had in the pitching department over the years (in the minors) this makes sense. I know it sounds bad but should you spend a lot of time working with someone that doesn't have the ability to move up the organization?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    Actually with what the Reds have had in the pitching department over the years (in the minors) this makes sense. I know it sounds bad but should you spend a lot of time working with someone that doesn't have the ability to move up the organization?
    Having coached at A through AAA I can say without a doubt that you coach every last player. How do you know that the slider, change, 2 seamer you are teaching this kid will or will not take him to the bigs or at least to the next level? You don't know. That's why you continue to teach.

Most kids that show up in rookie ball or A Ball are still unrefined. They still have bad habits and are short on confidence. This is where a good coaching staff can accelerate the development of all the players on a team.

What would have happened to Piazza if his coaches ignored him? (Extreme case I know) That's why you coach every last player no matter if he's the star or the 25th man. Your contract does not say "only coach coach 8 players". When Ted was in Dayton there were kids he never even spoke too. That's ridiculous and that is why he was let go. I'm sure he learned from that experience and he will do better.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?